• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Those of you who hunt with dogs, what are your favorite breeds? I'm now seriously investigating my options and looking for a good breeder. This will be my first hunting dog.

I hunt small game, deer and waterfowl. So I'm looking for an "all-around" dog. Obviously the only time I'd want to use him for deer hunting is for blood tracking. But that's not the main reason I want to get him. He'd mostly be for waterfowling and maybe some rabbits and shed antler hunting.

I'm basically debating between an English Labrador and a German Wire-Haired Pointer. But I've not settled on that. I'll probably get him in spring 2017.

It needs to be a good family dog and OK around small children. I don't care if he doesn't like random people coming by or not, but he can't be a jerk to everyone.

I've only ever had male dogs. Are females better for hunting?

Anything else I should be thinking about? Can you recommend any books on gun dog training? I've got room for him to exercise daily and I've been reading about dog training for years.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Chesapeake Bay Retriever for waterfowling since you mentioned that first. Male or female not so critical unless your tight on space. They can be protective which is a plus to me but maybe not for you with a small child.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Chesapeake Bay Retriever for waterfowling since you mentioned that first. Male or female not so critical unless your tight on space. They can be protective which is a plus to me but maybe not for you with a small child.

Thanks. The small children thing is my only concern with them. I'm not sure if that concern is overblown or not, but I don't want the dog to retrieve my infant no matter how soft his mouth is.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Derwood, I can't help but I'd be interested to see how this turns out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    My German Shorthair seems to be able to do just about everything with some training. When he was young I did some upland game training but not having much of that in Maryland I use him to retrieve now, he took to water pretty well. I take him out small game hunting for squirrels and rabbit too.

He's very, very energetic which I like and extremely loyal.

He's also turned into a paper courier around my office

Raven-lab

Feb 15, 2013
    Catonsville
    Labs are great for waterfowl and they have a really good nose that will serve you well in tracking. I have taken a goose wing to drag around the yard for my lab to track and she does very an excellent job.

I have trained my dog to not chase rabbits - mainly due to lack of opportunity and being so close to a road, but I think she would do well.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Consider a English Springer Spaniel

Usually thought as an upland Game dog but they love to swim and will retrieve in water.

Can be trained to track and air scent other game or contraband.

Great Family Dogs especially good with kids

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have hunted over dogs for a great deal of my life, the best dogs for ducks IMO are Chessies, Labs, and Boykin Spaniels. the Boykin is smaller but they are very easy to train and good family dogs.

Now I do have a mixed dogo argentino now, and he's stubborn as a mule, loyal, protective, cheerful, and is a great hunting dog... if the wife wouldn't kill me for taking him out.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Thanks. The small children thing is my only concern with them. I'm not sure if that concern is overblown or not, but I don't want the dog to retrieve my infant no matter how soft his mouth is.

It's overblown. There is a Chessie Facebook group. A good window into the lives of Chessie owners, many pictures of them with their children.

But they are intense dogs, not recommended unless you have some outside space they can use daily.

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    Hunting dogs

Those of you who hunt with dogs, what are your favorite breeds? I'm now seriously investigating my options and looking for a good breeder. This will be my first hunting dog.

I hunt small game, deer and waterfowl. So I'm looking for an "all-around" dog. Obviously the only time I'd want to use him for deer hunting is for blood tracking. But that's not the main reason I want to get him. He'd mostly be for waterfowling and maybe some rabbits and shed antler hunting.

I'm basically debating between an English Labrador and a German Wire-Haired Pointer. But I've not settled on that. I'll probably get him in spring 2017.

It needs to be a good family dog and OK around small children. I don't care if he doesn't like random people coming by or not, but he can't be a jerk to everyone.

Anything else I should be thinking about? Can you recommend any books on gun dog training? I've got room for him to exercise daily and I've been reading about dog training for years.

Love them all, but you need to figure out what game you ll be hunting 1. I ' m not sure hunting deer with a dog is good idea. the very thought of a dog in the woods during deer season just seems all wrong to me. My favorite would be the Brittany for fowl or rabbits.

Last edited:

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    Hunting dogs

Love them all, but you need to figure out what game you ll be hunting 1. I ' m not sure hunting deer with a dog is good idea. the very thought of a dog in the woods during deer season just seems all wrong to me. My favorite would be the Brittany for fowl or rabbits.[:) Good luck whatever you pick./QUOTE]

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    Hunting dogs

Portuguese water dog:) is also good choice

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    A blood trailing dog would be very nice to have, I believe they have to be on a lead though. And most dogs can do double duty in this regard. Any retriever should be able to pick sheds and follow blood trails on top of their main duty as a bird dog.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Griffon

Check out Wirehaired Griffon - my brother has 2 and they are great bird dogs, upland as well as waterfowl retrievers. Good squirrel hunters too.

I'm all about the ducks and I choose Labrador retrievers. Partial to yellow but color doesn't affect demeanor. Check bloodlines/pedigrees. It matters.

Attachments

• grif.jpg
      grif.jpg
      12.9 KB · Views: 278
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads