• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • As of today, 4/2/2017, I am no longer a C&R licensee. After 12 years I decided it was time to hang it up. The fact that there hasn't been anything in recent memory which got my attention since the influx of CZ82's.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    As of today, 4/2/2017, I am no longer a C&R licensee. After 12 years I decided it was time to hang it up. The fact that there hasn't been anything in recent memory which got my attention since the influx of CZ82's.

Let mine drop a few years ago, vendors started dropping the discounts for having one so mine went dead.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't think you have to give them notice.

Just don't renew and the 03 dies.

01s must give notice and turn in the books.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I let mine expire a couple of years ago for two reasons.

First, I agree with you - the golden era of great C&R deals - but more importantly, availability - seems to be over.

Second, the increasing infringements on our freedoms by the federal government over the past few years - and I don't just mean the BATF - made me really think long and hard about what problems being a licensee could create for me in the future. Maybe that will abate somewhat, now that Obama is gone, but I have a feeling that the leftists will be back, eventually.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    dropped mine too............was hoping to see a lot more C&R revolvers but im not interested in anything top break the rest are harder to come by

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I think for new imports and such, yes the market is drying up. Partly due to UN diktat on small arms and the fact that so much military hardware is Class 3 stuff in nature. There just isn't much out there anymore. For those of us old farts fortunate enough to have experienced the import boom that started in the late 80s and went on for nearly two decades it was a fun ride. The last possible horde is being held in Russia and perhaps the perpetual tease from South Korea. But word is the Russian stash is not in good condition and deteriorating more every year while they try to squeeze that last ruble's worth of value out of them. And let's not forget the current politics concerning Russia. They're toxic in today's version of McCarthyism. Politics have kept the S. Korean stuff out too. So here we sit. Certainly explains why Century and other large milsurp dealers have been getting into the new firearm business more and more (though with the huge dip in new gun sales post-Obama that might not be the panacea it once was).

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I just let mine expire after having it for 16 years or so but I'm already thinking of reapplying. I mainly collect vintage American sporting arms now and there are still times when I could use a C&R for an old rifle or shotgun, probably should not have let it lapse.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think it's still worth holding onto. I haven't bought any C&R firearms at retail with the exception of a few M91/30s anyway. The instant gratification retail deals are no longer to be had. You have to hunt the secondary market. As more older collectors die off, some of their collections are going to be sold for cheap by family members. As time passes, more firearms are going to become C&R anyway. I'm on the lookout for US service weapons, S&W revolvers, and commercial Colt 1911s as they trickle out of these collections.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I got my C&R in 2008 and never renewed it. In my case it broadly followed a move away from buying everything I could get a good price on and more narrowly focusing on things I would shoot.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I plan on renewing mine even though, like you said, the pickin's are slim.

I was a Boy Scout. Be Prepared!

Thanks! Thanks a lot. Thank you for not helping.

Just filled out my renewal and listed a credit card number.

Heading out to make copies for CLEO.

Resistance is always futile.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I will be letting my C&R expire on June 1st. I don't use it anymore. It's been ages since I bought my last Garand and that's really why I got my license in the first place. Although I do enjoy collecting firearms, the C&R market has dried up and it would seem that those firearms that qualify are expensive and the deals just aren't there anymore.

YMMV

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I keep thinking about that Danish Krag I missed out on at the Antique Show. The C&R would have made it easy.

Also keep thinking that show will disappear if that bullsh!t Antique Reclassification law goes into effect.

Damned assault muskets.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I just let mine expire after having it for 16 years or so but I'm already thinking of reapplying. I mainly collect vintage American sporting arms now and there are still times when I could use a C&R for an old rifle or shotgun, probably should not have let it lapse.

That's the biggest reason I've had to have the thing to begin with. I used it to pick up a Drilling and an old Elsie as well as my early 60's SW model of 1955 and a couple older SW k frames. It was post on MDShooters after I joined in 2009 that led to me buying more Mil surp from the bigger distributors. I'd still like to have a Sauer shotgun that's c&r, so I might re-up. Then again, as long as I still work at Scott's I have a way to do transfers using my employee discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom