• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Hey everyone. I purchased 21 acres in Calvert to build a home and for recreation purposes. Shooting being one of them. I finally have a nice 180yd range set up with a huge hill for a backstop. Feels great owning my own land to shoot on. But now i have a problem arising with one of my neighbors. They are complaining the shooting is unbearable. That they cannot enjoy being on their front porch when I'm enjoying my own land.

The only law on the books I'm aware of is being 150yds away from any dwellings, which i am. I also feel I'm being very reasonable to the length of time i shoot for, and for how long. 20mins to a hour, nothing past 6pm, nothing before 12pm. They are accusing me of breaking the county's noise ordinance. I offered them my phone number to give me a call if I'm bothering them, but they would rather me stop shooting or move father from their house.

No cops involved as of now with this neighbor, but let me know what you think I'm in for. Thanks

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Noise laws will be what they will exploit . Short of getting a federal stamp for suppressors I don't have anything else if you have the distance thing taken care of .

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Sorry to hear about your situation. You should look into getting a suppressor and agree on "shooting hours" with the neighbor pronto. This could escalate into a county ordinance and ruin things for everyone unfortunately.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Noise laws will be what they will exploit . Short of getting a federal stamp for suppressors I don't have anything else if you have the distance thing taken care of .

Sorry to hear about your situation. You should look into getting a suppressor and agree on "shooting hours" with the neighbor pronto. This could escalate into a county ordinance and ruin things for everyone unfortunately.

yup suppressors crossed my mind, but not sure if it would help with this guy.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    No laws being broken, do your thing. You tried to be nice.

exactly how i feel. also i own the field 15ft from his prized front porch. I don't think he releases how much i could ruin his view/property value with a-couple of junk shot up cars etc. if he wants to go down this road.......

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    exactly how i feel. also i own the field 15ft from his prized front porch. I don't think he releases how much i could ruin his view/property value with a-couple of junk shot up cars etc. if he wants to go down this road.......

Spring is here. Isn't it time to dump that trailer load of cow manure on it?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Did you ever invite them over to join you? My brother in law did this with success with one of his "problem" neighbors. One time when I was there, that guy was blasting right along with us. :lol:

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Did you ever invite them over to join you? My brother in law did this with success with one of his "problem" neighbors. One time when I was there, that guy was blasting right along with us. :lol:

Sadly yes i tried that lol they hit me with "No, Not even interested"

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    How far do you think your shooting bench is from his house?

about 500ft going off a recently drawn survey plat. there are lots of trees between his house and my shooting bench, he states he can see my barrel from his porch. I understand it is probably loud, but what do you expect living next to a farm

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Spring is here. Isn't it time to dump that trailer load of cow manure on it?

I second this.

OP, *if* you decide to go this route, there is not only a VERY LEGAL way to go about it WITH TREATED SEWAGE - Exxxxtreeeeeeeemleeee odiferous!!!! ;) ;) ;) - but one that was - for all I know still is - very much encouraged by the State of MD.

The only kicker is you would not be able to *commercially* grow anything for human consumption in that field for a set # of years (I don’t recall but, it wasn’t as many years as many would assume) and same goes for waiting a set # of years before residential construction on said field.

Trust me, once the stench subsides to bearable (iirc, 12-18 months depending upon ambient humidity, temps and wind speed / direction) they’ll be BEGGING you to do what you want on your own property - as long as it doesn’t involve treating tilled fields with treated sewage, by contractors licensed with the State of MD!

Did I mention, Exxxxtreeeeeeeemleeee odiferous!!!! :D:lol: And 100% legal (at least in adjacent Southern AA County)

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    You Sir, are in dire need of a golf ball cannon:
    https://www.coachesclubcannons.com/Cannons/Golf-Ball-Cannon :D

Seriously though, sounds like you're legal and have been very nice. Invite your LEO buddies over shooting. There might be a few near you on this forum who would love to have another place for recreational shooting. Make a regular thing out of it. Follow it up with brats and beer ... I mean iced tea.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    My coworker purchased 15 acres in Calvert County in the mid 70's and finally moved about two years ago. His closest neighbor had an outbuilding that was over 200 yards from his long time shooting range. His neighbor in 2007 or 2008 sold his farm to libs from the city, then all hell broke out. They kept calling the Sheriffs department and after many visits from understanding deputies, he finally gave up and sold his property.

How sad.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Chicken manure is way more smelly than cow manure and that smell will linger for days. Fertilize that field.
    I have "horse people" for neighbors on one side and they have called the police on us 3 times that I can remember. Each time they come out and say what I'm doing is legal.
    I was actually expecting a visit today as I was rechecking some guns because even with earplugs in every shot sounded like it echoed for miles.
    Edit, I'm in Harford County

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Easy to fight everyone and their brother , better to be smart and deliberate and remember once you go to fight mode hard to put that back in the can . Think about how many people in this world that have been right and still get their ass handed to them .

Fight if you must .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom