• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Ok people, can we have a quick refresher on capitalism...you know, SUPPLY and DEMAND?! Can we please realize that WE are our own worst enemies in this situation... There is absolutely NO reason there should be no ammo available anywhere. There is absolutely NO reason people should be paying 2, 3, 5, 10 times the normal market rate for anything. Get a friggin' grip and stop it. Yes, I know there are some folks that go through a lot of ammo playing 3 gun and clay sports..... Guess what, there are no more of those people now than there were a year ago. This is being driven by those who are scared their 500 or 1000 (or many times more) rounds aren't enough and keep buying buying buying. The noobs aren't driving this...they don't care enough to keep up with it after they've gotten a few boxes to collect dust in their drawer. Keep complaining about availability and pricing, then look in the mirror. Stop buying guns and ammo for 6 months and see what magically happens.... PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS so we won't all suffer permanent 50%-100% price increases across the board forever!. The single easiest thing we all can do to help ourselves....tell a friend. PSA rant over. :mad54:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    You have the option of not buying, others have the option TO buy. if you're short it's your own fault, you had 4 years to buy.:rolleyes:

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    5 million new gun owners in 2020. Lets say they each just buy a hundred rounds.

Demand on ammunition is 5,000,000 x 100 that means demand went up by 500,000,000.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks Capt Obvious. I've been exercising my option of not buying since this started because I'm not desperate enough to pay scalper prices, and I'm just fine thank you. The world is not ending. But hey, if you like paying jacked up prices, then keep it up. If it were any other commodity, I doubt you'd be so glib about it. I'm just tired of watching hysteria driven by those who can't think much beyond their own noses, and simply pointing out that instead of crying about it, and making it worse for the collective....it's easily correctable with a little common sense.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Wait, if I stop buying then supply will go down and it won't be there when I need more.

I better start buying!

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I’ve got a couple of rounds stashed away and have not been buying any as of late. Not because I’m trying to make a point but because I’m a cheap bastard. Eventually it will settle down and we can get back on with life. Until then make every shot count.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's the free market, buy it if you can afford it, don't if you can't, eventually the price settles to what it is worth. Last time the great ammo shortage of 2008-2013 ended, it was glorious to see scalpers trying desperately to unload ammo with minimal losses they had been trying to sell for years at peak prices. It will probably happen again, although IMO the more new shooters we get, and the more money 2A companies make, the better chance we have of preserving our rights.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    There is no doubt that I’m personally buying less ammo now that I was in 2019. However I have friends who simply brought ammo at the range when they wanted to shoot or picked up a box or two when they planned on hunting and never ever once considered having hundreds or even thousands of rounds in storage. Those people woke up in 2020 and are paying whatever it cost to have some stock. They call or txt me and say “hey I found 9mm for $45 a box of 50, is that a good deal?” I say no, but if you want 9mm you aren’t likely to find it much cheaper. So they buy it. I can’t blame them either.

Now here is the thing, these same people are probably going to be happy with a case of common caliber if they can find it, but they are not going to decide to stock 10k rounds unless something else happens to scare them even more. The ammo they have brought is likely to sit on their shelves for a decade.

So unless the Biden administration somehow passes some serious restrictions on ammo, prices will come down again. The saying goes “the cure for high prices, is high prices”.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Some of us got into competition shooting last year and at least it’s a healthier addiction than fast food or heroin, though possibly more expensive than heroin.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    obama bought ammo like crazy for every and any agency, even weather stations. unsure if biden is taking over the market, i have been off for a while. prior to 1jan, small shops got smaller than usual shipments, even during hunting season. agencies we service got roughly half to 3/4 of usual amounts.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Between my mom's health issues, my injured shoulder, bike riding and Covidity, I have only bought 400 rounds of .223 and haven't been able to shoot in a year.

...but I'm gonna buy more so I'll be able to trade it for food.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Ok people, can we have a quick refresher on capitalism...you know, SUPPLY and DEMAND?! Can we please realize that WE are our own worst enemies in this situation... There is absolutely NO reason there should be no ammo available anywhere. There is absolutely NO reason people should be paying 2, 3, 5, 10 times the normal market rate for anything. Get a friggin' grip and stop it. Yes, I know there are some folks that go through a lot of ammo playing 3 gun and clay sports..... Guess what, there are no more of those people now than there were a year ago. This is being driven by those who are scared their 500 or 1000 (or many times more) rounds aren't enough and keep buying buying buying. The noobs aren't driving this...they don't care enough to keep up with it after they've gotten a few boxes to collect dust in their drawer. Keep complaining about availability and pricing, then look in the mirror. Stop buying guns and ammo for 6 months and see what magically happens.... PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS so we won't all suffer permanent 50%-100% price increases across the board forever!. The single easiest thing we all can do to help ourselves....tell a friend. PSA rant over. :mad54:

Oh please! Wah, wah, wah! Minimum 5 million new shooters are out there. I know that two I personally got into it have each been trying to shoot a box a week in practice. Each of them also has three guns and shoot at least two of them during their weekly practice, that's a fair bit of ammo if more than these two are doing it.

As for me I only buy .22lr, some shotgun loads, 9mm ball and defensive ammo when I need it. But then I was smart enough to buy cheap and stack deep the past decade so I have quite a bit. Most of my 9mm is Gold Dot blems I got for $.17/round and most of .22lr is Mini-Mag blems at $17.99/500. Anything else I shoot I reload in batches of 500-3000. Last ammo I bought was a year ago before prices went up and that was .22 blems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom