• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I gotta agree, They are Ok, but nothing special, Ive owned several, they are paper plate accurate but not bullseye queens by any means.

Accuracy
    The ergonomics are terrible, my gorilla hands and that exposed op rod do not get along at all.
    The safety is a gritty crunchy snap to apply, the 'blade' I have polished and touched up w/file many times and it is still feels like a jagged piece of metal pressing into your finger on either apply or release.

On that note having the safety on/integrated into the trigger guard I feel is a huge liability and something Ruger should have never done. If there was one area to deviate from the Garand overall design that would be it. Not a gun I would start a totally new to firearms person with because of that.

The 5 round magazines are ok, they hook and latch in without any issue and come out cleanly. You can also install them with the bolt closed and fully loaded. The 20 rounders are the exact opposite, fully loaded and bolt closed you will dent/smash the top cartridge if you attempt to install it. It is a fumble to get the magazine in place for a smooth rock n lock. Removal is also clumsy after you push the magazine release and get it unlatched, you have to push it even further while jiggling/pulling/rocking the magazine to get it free of the mag well.

For an as-is gun the trigger is actually decent IMO, you wont mistake it for even a base model Geissele G2S (my favorite AR trigger) but light years ahead of a 'mil-spec' AR trigger.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I’m sure we all have one or two that, while perfectly functional and accurate, really don’t get the old juices flowing. We take them out now and again and put some rounds down range, but the guns just aren’t exciting.

Mine is my Ruger P95. It shoots great. Accurate as hell. 15+1 of 9mm goodness. However, it looks like it won honorable mention in the looks department.

I know, it’s all about function. At least it should be. The Colt Python is sexy. The Smith Model 10 is classic. But remember, there are many out there that can do the job but are the homely girl at the dance.

5d6c8769c60329d35e036ea1038b1319.jpg

6101503303fce21bc5424dd6f50af7fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this kinda funny. One of my favorite pistols is my P89, same color scheme. I bought it used and just really enjoy shooting it. It's big and heavy, but it's just fun to shoot.

Probably my most eh pistol is my Ruger SR22. And I probably spent more time picking that one out than any I own. It shoots well enough, and feels great, but if I want accuracy I have a Victory that I am in love with. I was hoping the SR9 would have the same ergonomics, yea, yea, the while 22 trainer thing. But I picked up the SR9 and it made my gen 3 glock feel ergonomic. That idea went out the window and I probably haven't shot the SR22 since. Although it is a good gun to have friends shoot that are new to firearms.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The 5 round magazines are ok, they hook and latch in without any issue and come out cleanly. You can also install them with the bolt closed and fully loaded. The 20 rounders are the exact opposite, fully loaded and bolt closed you will dent/smash the top cartridge if you attempt to install it. It is a fumble to get the magazine in place for a smooth rock n lock.

IIRC, you are supposed to insert 20-30 rounders with bolt locked open. Think the manual even states this. My Mini is meh too, like a lot of Ruger stuff. :)

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Somewhere along the line I just had to have a Walther PP. Got a very nice one! Meh. It does everything it's supposed to, in that very specific back-then-Walther kinda way. But, meh.

But I still won't sell it, dammit!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Walter CCP. Was absolute junk. Sold it.

I agree with the above poster. The Kriss Vector is stupid in semi auto. Looks like a VCR.

Pistol caliber carbines in general really.

Contrary to many posters I love my AR’s. I can never have enough.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I'm with JTB, ARs just don't do anything for me.

Same here....another could care less AR's, and with all the "crap" hanging
    at every possible angle, then the so called "building" it's assembling
    have the "retro" ones, old school

Yep. I just don’t get it. Already have an SBR so I have no need for an ar pistol

Pistol AR's ....really, prefer something along the lines MP5 etc.

There's only so much you can do to the AR Platform a little botox here
    little tuck n fold there it's still an AR.

Got a Star Megastar 45, at the time it "was" interesting now, meh...

But hey it's your money...

-Rock

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Ruger P345. My gun that I love but do not shoot that much. The gun weight, grip size and texture and frame size is just right and very good reliability. except for looooong trigger travel and reset that wear you out.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Walter CCP. Was absolute junk. Sold it.

I agree with the above poster. The Kriss Vector is stupid in semi auto. Looks like a VCR.

Pistol caliber carbines in general really.

Contrary to many posters I love my AR’s. I can never have enough.

Curious why you say it was junk? I've been thinking about buying one solely on its mechanics being basically a cheap P7. Besides gen1s being hard to take down, I never heard anything bad about them. Please share to save me some trouble.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Sub2K. Loved the idea, but meh once I had it.

On my 3rd Sub 2K now, sold the other two years back due to the meh factor, I’ll keep it this time, it can be fun to hit the steel plates with and has some utility value.

My first centerfire was a P95 years back, same as OP it went bang every time, could double as a crab mallet or crude hammer in a pinch and would still run perfectly. I traded it for looks ultimately and went into H&K for awhile with a USP 9, then moved on to a Glock 17 for HD duty. I still believe flawless reliability trumps all other needs on any firearm though I still have some that are less reliable in the collection.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Handgun: Springfield Range Officer 1911. Also 1911s in general, but I’ll focus on mine. It just doesn’t do anything a more modern handgun can’t do. I intended to slowly upgrade it over time, but once Springfield got caught playing 2A games, I just put it away and haven’t done anything with it. Looking forward to selling it in the next month or two.

Rifle: Keltec Sub2000 Gen2. Not for this southpaw. Mine sandblasts my lip and teeth with crud from the action, to the point that it has drawn blood. Will be selling on consignment or on gunbroker soon.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don’t get the recent HD trend of the Shockwave-type “shotguns/other/firearms”. I don’t and never will own one or shoot one, I like my wrists and hands just the way they are. I just can’t wrap my head around these weapons. I’ll admit though that all my bias is unfounded and not on actual usage or facts, I just don’t like how they look and can only imagine the awkwardness of use and operation.

While I’m at it, the Ruger PCC is one ugly damn gun as well. And this is coming from someone that owns and loves shooting both a High Point 9mm carbine and a Kriss Vector 9 mm carbine in arctic white (looks like a stormtrooper rifle). I’ll spend inordinate amounts of money on silly firearms just for fun, or for no particular reason other than to have it, and even I think that Ruger PCC is a stupid looking gun. Probably lots of fun to shoot, and tons of folks seem to like it, it just doesn’t appeal to me for some unknown reason.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I really don't have any guns I don't enjoy shooting. I have a number that dont go out much because of their age or value, but I still get a kick out of shooting all of them. I even took the single shot Wamo .22 out the other day. It is good to switch things up... some days you feel like a blonde... some days a brunette.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I really don't have any guns I don't enjoy shooting. I have a number that dont go out much because of their age or value, but I still get a kick out of shooting all of them. I even took the single shot Wamo .22 out the other day. It is good to switch things up... some days you feel like a blonde... some days a brunette.

That's the thing i like about collecting..you cant shoot them all, all the time so once you get a bunch and shoot a neglected one, it's like shooting a new gun all over again.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    S&W M&P lineup, most FN pistols, Walthers PPQ series, and Glocks. Maybe it's just because they're so prevalent, I don't know. They're all fine firearms, but they just don't do it for me, to look at or shoot. 'Course they're also the ones with capacity for .45 shooters like me. Sigs don't bother me, though; I like the lines on them, same with HK.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I don't believe I'm going to say it...the 1911. I'm a 1911 guy through and through but there are so many makers and variations and levels of quality they all seem to blend together.

Nah, I get it. Once you find the make and model you like and get it, all others just seem kinda bland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom