• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I tried to lower the rear sight by loosing the LB but the adjustment knob just spins. No problem with raising the sight.
    I have 2 other Garands but they a different screw type sight.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There were three type of rear sights on M1 Garands...the first is rarely seen and was superseded by the lock bar type. It was changed to a different type without a locking bar late in the war or postwar. The shafts between them are not interchangeable. Yours may have a shaft from the third type.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    There were three type of rear sights on M1 Garands...the first is rarely seen and was superseded by the lock bar type. It was changed to a different type without a locking bar late in the war or postwar. The shafts between them are not interchangeable. Yours may have a shaft from the third type.

Thanks but it has worked in the past. Three types? I did not know that.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The lock bar only locks the windage. You shouldn't have to touch it for elevation.
    It sounds like your elevation screw is lose.

The pre-war Garands had what's called a "flush nut" rear sight. There were problems with the windage loosening, so the "lock bar" was introduced as a sort of stopgap. The locking bar has to be loosened to adjust windage, then retightened. After the war, an improved rear sight, looking almost identical to the old "flush nut" was developed. Most existing rifles were upgraded to the third, post war sight. Lock bars are thus collectible, flush nuts even more so.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I can only tighten the screw like 1/32 inch. But after 2 clicks it once again spins. I tighten again and once more only 2 clicks and spins.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So you can raise the sight by turning the elevation knob, but the knob won't engage to lower the sight? You can just push the sight back down with finger pressure?

Sounds like you have worn out parts in there. Something is FUBAR, butI don't understand the Garand sight enough to help. Hopefully someone will join in with a more useful contribution than mine.

Remember though, people will readily pay big bucks for a lockbar sight. Unless the problem is worn notches on the receiver "ears", you could just sell the sight and buy a postwar version...

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    So you can raise the sight by turning the elevation knob, but the knob won't engage to lower the sight? You can just push the sight back down with finger pressure?

No. Tried that

Sounds like you have worn out parts in there. Something is FUBAR, butI don't understand the Garand sight enough to help. Hopefully someone will join in with a more useful contribution than mine.

Taking it to AGC this morning.

Remember though, people will readily pay big bucks for a lockbar sight. Unless the problem is worn notches on the receiver "ears", you could just sell the sight and buy a postwar version...

I won this in a raffle. It was built on all new WWII parts less stock and sling.
    The builder suggested a post war version but I declined.
    I know the builder and I trust his word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom