• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I broke my lee universal decapping die. Something about some berdan primed 7.62x39 getting mixed in.
    I use a Lyman universal decapping die now (had both). Just loaded some 223 and the pin from my Redding dies was getting stuck in the flash hole of wcc marked brass.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I broke my lee universal decapping die. Something about some berdan primed 7.62x39 getting mixed in.
    I use a Lyman universal decapping die now (had both). Just loaded some 223 and the pin from my Redding dies was getting stuck in the flash hole of wcc marked brass.

I hate when that happens! :rant2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I broke a number of decapping pins in standard dies. Then I got the Lee Universal decapper. No issues since.

For my 650 I have a tool head set up with the Decapper, then a .223 sizing die in station 2, and run once fired military 5.56 brass through this as the first step. A light tumble for dirt, lube, run through the decapper and sizing, then tumble to remove the lube. Swage the primer pockets, then they are ready to load.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I use a Harvey hand deprimer. Might not be good for old hands but gives me a chance to pre-inspect brass and sort my range bring-backs. Doesn’t allow you to miss the flash hole either.

Another Harvey deprimer user here. I have several extra pins on hand, but have only needed to replace one. I also have a Lee universal decapper die, but I try to do my decapping away from the press.

Never had a problem with any military/crimped primers in removal. Only run into a few, clearly off-center flash holes, which the Harvey punched through pretty easily. The worst case I've experienced with pin bending was Speer .357 SIG brass. It took me three pins before I realized that the flash holes were significantly smaller than standard flash holes. My first sizing on these cases is done with an RCBS .40 S&W carbide die. RCBS makes pin ends for the end of their decapping dies, and they make them in both small and standard sizes for the smaller flash holes. Even the Harvey deprimer makers offer a .07" pin for military crimp and smaller .06" for Lapua brass with the smaller flash holes.

https://harveydeprimer.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom