• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I just use plastic pistol ammo trays I dumpster dive for at my local range. 9mm holds 5.56 perfectly, .45 for .30-06 and .308. Why be complicated?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    For those who don't use multiple trays.
    It is recommend to use multiple trays and putting rounds in order on the trays after you size, trim, prime, charge, seat a bullet, or crimp the case.

This way if you discover an error you can easily work backwards to determine see which rounds were affected.

Just and FYI....

Bill P

Apr 6, 2017
    Made this for my son. He reloads his own .45 and .223/300BO ammo. So... Dual drilled to fit either, but no wobbling.

Made it with 1x3 whitewood, cut to 13" long. He wanted 50 holes, and wanted it to be narrow enough to load powder right into from his... whatever you call it that dispenses the powder. So 4 rows, 2 with 13 holes, 2 with 12.

Set the pattern out and marked the holes. Tried to leave enough room for fat fingers to easily work with it. Drilled out the larger .45 holes with a 1/2" bit, then the deeper .223 holes with a 3/8" bit. Both using forstner bits to get flat bases to them. And, the center hole off the first bit made it easy to center the second. Used a drill press for straight holes and consistent depth.

Sanded the edges to be a bit rounder, and the top to clean off the pencil marks and rough edges on the holes. I might poly coat it... might not. I need to send it to him to test and see if he likes it the way it is. If so, I'll probably make a nicer one out of oak or another hardwood for him. THAT one will get a nicer finish on it.

250ia78.jpg

mlqd6h.jpg

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Made this for my son. He reloads his own .45 and .223/300BO ammo. So... Dual drilled to fit either, but no wobbling.

Made it with 1x3 whitewood, cut to 13" long. He wanted 50 holes, and wanted it to be narrow enough to load powder right into from his... whatever you call it that dispenses the powder. So 4 rows, 2 with 13 holes, 2 with 12.

Set the pattern out and marked the holes. Tried to leave enough room for fat fingers to easily work with it. Drilled out the larger .45 holes with a 1/2" bit, then the deeper .223 holes with a 3/8" bit. Both using forstner bits to get flat bases to them. And, the center hole off the first bit made it easy to center the second. Used a drill press for straight holes and consistent depth.

Sanded the edges to be a bit rounder, and the top to clean off the pencil marks and rough edges on the holes. I might poly coat it... might not. I need to send it to him to test and see if he likes it the way it is. If so, I'll probably make a nicer one out of oak or another hardwood for him. THAT one will get a nicer finish on it.

250ia78.jpg

mlqd6h.jpg

Very nice - might "steal" this idea for my bench :innocent0

Bill P

Apr 6, 2017
    Very nice - might "steal" this idea for my bench :innocent0

You can have it! I'd rather give it away than have it stolen...

Just post pics if you do it different so I can steal it right back. I don't reload my own ammo, so hopefully if anyone thinks of a tweak or improvement that does they'll speak up.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    In Korea SPAM is sold in Gift Packs and given at holidays and housewarmings.
    SPAM fried rice is pretty good.

29dguu8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom