• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was wondering if the 308 recoil would destroy the Nikon 223 scope?
    Limiting to shooting 100 yards at AGC.

Honestly not sure, but my impression is that the main difference between their scopes (say p223 3-9x40 vs Slughunter 3-9x40, or the prostaff 7 4-16x42 vs M-308 4-16x42) is the specialized reticle, not build quality or recoil tolerance. The make the same scope, change the reticle, and relabel it. They are all made pretty rugged. Nikon has a no fault return policy. Also, the muzzle brake is going to reduce the recoil quite a bit, maybe 50% or more.

I was asking about accuracy cause IMHO a 308 deserves a bigger (as in 12x) scope.

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    I just picked one up in 7.62x39. It was a beast to get the dust cover back on after field stripping. I'm not sure about this one. This weapon is pretty much out of action in the absence of that receiver cover, and too much is riding on the tab that marries the rec. cover and gas tube together. Reassebbly requires a rubber hammer to tap that rec. cover back into place. IMO they spread out the sights and found ways to cut costs while doing so. The final chapter will be written in the field. I am not sold on it. The older AK variants are better engineered for aforementioned reasons, and the Galil Ace is heavy and poorly balanced. I would take any standard AKM, or VZ 58 over it any day of the week.
    What we have to settle for in MD...
    I guess that I'm glad to have it.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Press down hard on the back of the receiver cover and you should hear a click. Pull the op rod back and it should seat in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom