• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My boss wants me to do a managed hunt with him this fall and it requires a DNR certification with my shotgun. Looks like the best place to do it is AGC, even though it's a little more than an hour away. Has anyone here done it before? How is the process? Is it something that can be done in say, an hour?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If your shotgun is sighted in the process will take about 15 minutes. But allow extra time in case the RSO is really busy, esp on weekends. You need to put 3 holes (of 5) in a pie at 50 yards. It takes me about 10 minutes including the time to pay the RSO and get the card.

If your shotgun is not sighted in, the process takes infinitely long and many trips. I have seen people not pass. I did not pass one year because my scope broke.

when you get to AGC just find the RSO.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thats exactly what I need to know. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Iv'e noticed for managed hunts they say a scope is preferred but not required. I have a red dot but should I get a scope just in case I win the lottery and get chose for a managed hunt?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Iv'e noticed for managed hunts they say a scope is preferred but not required. I have a red dot but should I get a scope just in case I win the lottery and get chose for a managed hunt?

What are you comfortable shooting with? Most shots aren't long range. How are your eyes?

I wouldn't use a scope on my shotgun, but that is just me personally. I've got fiberoptic sights (mounted to the vent rib, it doesn't have rifle sights, 28" barrel).

I've got excellent vision though. It would NOT be my preferred choice for a 100yd shot, but just fine even in fairly low light to 50yds easy and beyond that is okay to 100.

I've honestly never used a red dot hunting. I use one on my 16" AR-15 and I prefer it for that (not the AR I use for hunting). 3MOA dot, just dandy to 200yds for a man sized target. Though for hunting I don't think I'd want to use a dot of any size for more than about 100yds.

But not a real risk in most of Maryland for hunting. My ideal is 3-4x for deer hunting around here. I use a 1-4 on my muzzleloader usually left on 4, though sometimes when I am stalking I'll set it to around 2.5x in case I've got a quick opening that's reasonable. I use 3-9 on my rifles, usually left at 3. I think I've dialed up the power all of twice in my life actually taking a shot, but would have been fine at the lower power. My 10/22 runs a 4x fixed scope for squirrels and ground hogs.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    What are you comfortable shooting with? Most shots aren't long range. How are your eyes?

I wouldn't use a scope on my shotgun, but that is just me personally. I've got fiberoptic sights (mounted to the vent rib, it doesn't have rifle sights, 28" barrel).

I've got excellent vision though. It would NOT be my preferred choice for a 100yd shot, but just fine even in fairly low light to 50yds easy and beyond that is okay to 100.

I've honestly never used a red dot hunting. I use one on my 16" AR-15 and I prefer it for that (not the AR I use for hunting). 3MOA dot, just dandy to 200yds for a man sized target. Though for hunting I don't think I'd want to use a dot of any size for more than about 100yds.

But not a real risk in most of Maryland for hunting. My ideal is 3-4x for deer hunting around here. I use a 1-4 on my muzzleloader usually left on 4, though sometimes when I am stalking I'll set it to around 2.5x in case I've got a quick opening that's reasonable. I use 3-9 on my rifles, usually left at 3. I think I've dialed up the power all of twice in my life actually taking a shot, but would have been fine at the lower power. My 10/22 runs a 4x fixed scope for squirrels and ground hogs.

Never been hunting before so getting comfortable.
    Eyes are 51 years old and they feel 51, I have glasses but rarely wear them but I do have +2 reading glasses that I must use to read most things.
    Put budget scope on my budget shotgun and sighted in today.

In a managed hunt don't they put in a spot in your treestand then herd the deer in your direction? A scope would be kinda useless against a moving deer wouldn't it?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Never been hunting before so getting comfortable.
    Eyes are 51 years old and they feel 51, I have glasses but rarely wear them but I do have +2 reading glasses that I must use to read most things.
    Put budget scope on my budget shotgun and sighted in today.

In a managed hunt don't they put in a spot in your treestand then herd the deer in your direction? A scope would be kinda useless against a moving deer wouldn't it?

Ask. It depends on the manager hunt. Generally, no. They don’t push deer. Unless doing a serious drive lining up all along a field in general they aren’t going to be moving much and don’t take a shot at a moving deer. If you’ve never really hunted (even if you have a fair amount of experience with guns), odds are good you’ll miss or just mortally wound the deer, not end up with a good hit. Leading an animal takes a lot of skill unless at very close range.

Scope works fine on moving animals, why not? You don’t track it at 20x. You use low magnification. Even on none moving animals. A 3x or 4x works a treat. Only at ranges longer than you’ll see in most Maryland woods would you really want more magnification for hunting deer and that’s just fine for tracking a moving deer. A running deer, you’ve got no real ethical chance at. Walking and it’s going to head out of range, grunt at it. It’s likely to pause to listen and look around. Then you shoot it if it has a good angle. Or wait till it naturally pauses and presents a good angle. Sometimes you’ll see deer and they just don’t present a good shot. Been there many times.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I hunt with 3 counties deer mang teams (Managed hunts).
    I do my qualification at AGC every year, I go on a weekday morning, 10-15 minutes.
    I would probably not hunt in a P&R managed hunt for your 1st ever hunt, and doubt they would put you in the program without a track record.
    Some hunts they "push deer", they do not herd them to you, basically they get them up and moving once mid morning comes around.
    I have taken upto 7 deer in a morning, typ 10-15 a year, all with a scoped Slug gun, all stationary targets. You have to track them and know how to hold them up for 1-2 seconds.

I MUCH prefer the managed hunts over typ public land,, it keeps things somewhat professional. No fools unloading 5-7 rounds wondering why they missed, after all, they sighted it in 8 years ago !!!

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I hunt with 3 counties deer mang teams (Managed hunts).
    I do my qualification at AGC every year, I go on a weekday morning, 10-15 minutes.
    I would probably not hunt in a P&R managed hunt for your 1st ever hunt, and doubt they would put you in the program without a track record.
    Some hunts they "push deer", they do not herd them to you, basically they get them up and moving once mid morning comes around.
    I have taken upto 7 deer in a morning, typ 10-15 a year, all with a scoped Slug gun, all stationary targets. You have to track them and know how to hold them up for 1-2 seconds.

I MUCH prefer the managed hunts over typ public land,, it keeps things somewhat professional. No fools unloading 5-7 rounds wondering why they missed, after all, they sighted it in 8 years ago !!!

P&R managed hunt?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Parks&Rec, or in some counties Rec&Parks.

Through interviews, background checks and qualifying I hunt in the county Parks&Rec programs.
    Basically a park is closed down for a day, a certain number of us arrive at 4-5AM, check in, go to our assigned stand site, and shoot antler-less deer till 11:00 AM.

P&R managed hunt?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Parks&Rec, or in some counties Rec&Parks.

Through interviews, background checks and qualifying I hunt in the county Parks&Rec programs.
    Basically a park is closed down for a day, a certain number of us arrive at 4-5AM, check in, go to our assigned stand site, and shoot antler-less deer till 11:00 AM.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom