• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    If you want to shoot with the giggle switch, by all means do it. Just try to do it 3-4 different times before you invest in the hobby. And be honest with yourself what you’ll actually be doing with your investments. IMBLITZVT LOVES it, and is super passionate about it. I’m not. If select fire firearms cost what they are worth instead of being collectible thanks to the stupid Hughes amendment, I would be a much stronger advocate for them. Everyone needs a belt fed for the end of the world, trust me.

Where would you get that I love it? :innocent0

Na, I do but I like all shooting for the most part. I have one of the most wide ranging collections of anyone I know. I promote it because its the least promoted area of shooting. Many who were in the military and got a lot of FA trigger time for free don't like it as much. Its not a for all people, there is no doubt. Thats why I say come out and try it with MDTCA. I have had a friend that is also on MDS shoot my MG08 Maxim and thank me because while a cool gun he did not like that there was no recoil. I saved him 20K on buying one to find out it was not for him. It does not hurt my feelings. More for me! :) I agree that its important in all collecting to find what truly interests you and what you really like. Not the idea of liking... I love the idea of a Tommy gun but the semi autos are just not worth having to me. Feels like a 22LR. Cool looking but not for me. I need the real deal or nothing. The one thing I do stress is not to "build" into the NFA. Its not something you need to take steps into with Suppressors and then SBRs and then more SBRs and then MGs. Skip the steps and go for what you want. Otherwise you will sell off all those steps down the line and have tied up many thousands of dollars doing it. If you know you want in on a MG. Try them and save and buy. Its not as big of a jump as you originally think!

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

Na, I do but I like all shooting for the most part. I have one of the most wide ranging collections of anyone I know. I promote it because its the least promoted area of shooting. Many who were in the military and got a lot of FA trigger time for free don't like it as much. Its not a for all people, there is no doubt. Thats why I say come out and try it with MDTCA. I have had a friend that is also on MDS shoot my MG08 Maxim and thank me because while a cool gun he did not like that there was no recoil. I saved him 20K on buying one to find out it was not for him. It does not hurt my feelings. More for me! :) I agree that its important in all collecting to find what truly interests you and what you really like. Not the idea of liking... I love the idea of a Tommy gun but the semi autos are just not worth having to me. Feels like a 22LR. Cool looking but not for me. I need the real deal or nothing. The one thing I do stress is not to "build" into the NFA. Its not something you need to take steps into with Suppressors and then SBRs and then more SBRs and then MGs. Skip the steps and go for what you want. Otherwise you will sell off all those steps down the line and have tied up many thousands of dollars doing it. If you know you want in on a MG. Try them and save and buy. Its not as big of a jump as you originally think!

I personally love C&R, like ARs and glocks are cool and I would like more but a wall of old firearms will definitely draw my eye before any AR would. With that I would love to get any sort of MG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I personally love C&R, like ARs and glocks are cool and I would like more but a wall of old firearms will definitely draw my eye before any AR would. With that I would love to get any sort of MG.

As FBI I think was saying... any type of MG might not be what you are really wanting... be sure and think about it.

Do you want a Shooter. Just something dump ammo in the most fun way possible? If so I suggest a M11 (mac in 9mm). They are about $8 and with about another $1k in upgrades, you will have a very nice SMG.

Do you want some history with it? If so how much? What kind of history? Military, Civilian? Which war? There are may options out there?

Do you want a SMG, Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, Automatic Rifle, LMG, Med MG, Heavy MG or DD MG?

What is your price point? There are many SMGs, a few Assault Rifles and a LMG or two under $10.

Think of it this way... if someone just wanted a pistol and bought a Hi point... how long would that take to wear off and they want something a little more tuned to their real desire?

There is a fairly large MG world out there. Prices start in the $5-6K range and go up. There are many in the $8-$15k range that would almost certainly be what you would want. However figuring out exactly what you want will save a lot of hassle.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    As FBI I think was saying... any type of MG might not be what you are really wanting... be sure and think about it.

Do you want a Shooter. Just something dump ammo in the most fun way possible? If so I suggest a M11 (mac in 9mm). They are about $8 and with about another $1k in upgrades, you will have a very nice SMG.

Do you want some history with it? If so how much? What kind of history? Military, Civilian? Which war? There are may options out there?

Do you want a SMG, Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, Automatic Rifle, LMG, Med MG, Heavy MG or DD MG?

What is your price point? There are many SMGs, a few Assault Rifles and a LMG or two under $10.

Think of it this way... if someone just wanted a pistol and bought a Hi point... how long would that take to wear off and they want something a little more tuned to their real desire?

There is a fairly large MG world out there. Prices start in the $5-6K range and go up. There are many in the $8-$15k range that would almost certainly be what you would want. However figuring out exactly what you want will save a lot of hassle.

Wow ya, I never really thought of it like that. I definitely would want something from WW2, I think something like a Tommy gun (preferably the 1928 version), a 1919, or an mg42 would probably be my top choices. I also would really like a mp40 and a stg44. But that’s more so what I’m into.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

This is the man to discuss the machine gun hobby with. Never met him, but his passion is infectious, and his willingness to share information and occasionally his firearms is pretty well known.

He also gives one particular piece of advice that I think is really good: how many of us have random collectibles, firearms, optics, etc sitting around that we never or barely use? IF you want to get into machine guns, consider getting rid of that stuff and using the proceeds to purchase something you’ll use and enjoy.

Pre-CORONAPOCALYPSE I had decided to sell the majority of my collection to fund the purchase of some decent NVGs. Unfortunately the nearly six figure income hit caused by this stupid pandemic has resulted in me selling off portions of my collection to put into savings instead. With things calming down but gun prices going up, I’ll be looking to clear out more of my collection to finally fund NVGs and some IR aiming devices. It’s a shame to get rid of things that gain value for essentially an expendable item, but lately I enjoy shooting at night more than looking at guns. And you only live once.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Wow ya, I never really thought of it like that. I definitely would want something from WW2, I think something like a Tommy gun (preferably the 1928 version), a 1919, or an mg42 would probably be my top choices. I also would really like a mp40 and a stg44. But that’s more so what I’m into.

I've shot all of those guns that you list and own 2 of them. My favorite one on the list to shoot on a regular basis is the MP40. Light weight and easy to control. It's also the cheapest to feed....and purchase.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

WW2 does really narrow it down. You run into 2 issues with WWII guns. Shooting vs preserving. Now with SMGs, it take a long time to wear out a barrel. But something like a BAR... you are going to run that barrel down quick with mag dumps. I love Mag dumps. :) The other issue is everyone else loves WWII guns too. 1928 Tommys start at around $15K and go to $50+. The West Hurley (made post war) are around $15-$17K. This might be one of my next MGs. Cool but not real cheap. 1919s are a great option for belt feds. Generally around $15k but can be found cheaper. They have tons of calibers and cheap parts. However you are pretty much shooting full size rifle rounds, so ammo will cost more. MG42s are $40K plus and out of sight of most of us. There are tube guns, non-C&R MP40s that are not to much. Probably in the $10-$15k range but I have seen some higher lately. I am not a huge fan of tube guns and I felt like the MP40 shooting was not as cool as I thought it would be. That said I might have had it built up to much in my head. I like shooting the Tommy gun more but thats me. The MP44s are getting out of sight at $25-$30K+. Ammo and barrels are expensive.

Now there M50 Reising that can be found pretty cheap. Some others like Stens that are not to much. However these are considered intro guns and most people upgrade later However if you want in under $8K or so, those are about your options. I bought a Jap Type 96 LMG for $7k. You have ammo issues but the Jap MGs can go cheap. Again, once in WWII, does the country and type of gun matter to you? You almost need to decide on what you can spend, watch pricing and go from there. These guys are usually fairly middle of the road for the market: https://www.gunspot.com/machineguncentral/

This is the man to discuss the machine gun hobby with. Never met him, but his passion is infectious, and his willingness to share information and occasionally his firearms is pretty well known.

Thanks, that is a pretty nice compliment! :D

He also gives one particular piece of advice that I think is really good: how many of us have random collectibles, firearms, optics, etc sitting around that we never or barely use? IF you want to get into machine guns, consider getting rid of that stuff and using the proceeds to purchase something you’ll use and enjoy.

Yes, maximize your enjoyment, don't live in the past. It get back also to what you were saying in being honest with yourself with that you really like and enjoy. If you are honest with yourself, you can sell stuff and buy things you like more and never regret it. I have sold a lot and I don't regret any of it because I always bought something I wanted more.

Pre-CORONAPOCALYPSE I had decided to sell the majority of my collection to fund the purchase of some decent NVGs. Unfortunately the nearly six figure income hit caused by this stupid pandemic has resulted in me selling off portions of my collection to put into savings instead. With things calming down but gun prices going up, I’ll be looking to clear out more of my collection to finally fund NVGs and some IR aiming devices. It’s a shame to get rid of things that gain value for essentially an expendable item, but lately I enjoy shooting at night more than looking at guns. And you only live once.

That sucks man, I have been there. I had to sell off some stuff to buy a Truck the last time the economy crashed. At least you have a hobby that will allow you to do that.

You will really enjoy some good NGVs. I would also suggest you test them out. I bought a really nice Gen 3+ PVS14 White Phos and love them. However if you want to shoot at more than 50 yards... you might want magnification. You are welcome to come to some of our NV shoots and try them out!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That sucks man, I have been there. I had to sell off some stuff to buy a Truck the last time the economy crashed. At least you have a hobby that will allow you to do that.

You will really enjoy some good NGVs. I would also suggest you test them out. I bought a really nice Gen 3+ PVS14 White Phos and love them. However if you want to shoot at more than 50 yards... you might want magnification. You are welcome to come to some of our NV shoots and try them out!
    RE selling stuff off: I hear you. But the wife and kids come first, though my wife might occasionally disagree.

I have a fair bit of experience with NVGs and thermals from work, and occasionally have the opportunity to check them out for training. I actually have been doing some of my PT at night of late, hiking with a set of 31As. Sadly I won’t be putting up that kind of money. But I am planning on a filmless white phosphorus 14. Once the pandemic and election madness calm down a bit, hopefully they’ll dip down in price to where they were. Saw a new TNVC set for sale for about 3k early this year, but didn’t jump on them. Now they appear to be $3800.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    .. Saw a new TNVC set for sale for about 3k early this year, but didn’t jump on them. Now they appear to be $3800.

I checked earlier this year and they were still $4k... which is what I paid a few years back. Still seem to be that price now:

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-un-filmed-white-phosphor-2/

They are worth it... Just wish I could get a set. I did some bike riding with mine in the middle of the forest roads in pitch black... it was kind of lonely but cool. I wish I could afford a few sets and get a night bike ride. No off road trails but up the road is easy. Gravel trails are ok.

I sold 2 MG08 Sleds and used some of the money for these. Everyone who sees them thinks they are super awesome. I wish it was darker around Catonsville because I don't have much of a place to use them around here that is not to bright.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thanks for the advice!! I’m definitely going to save up for one. I have SO MANY guns I want to buy. Me and my buddy (he collects C&R as well but isn’t on here.... even tho I keep telling him to) anyway besides the point. We keep tossing around the idea of starting a interactive firearms museum. So people can come learn about all sorts of firearms (much like Cody’s out west) and then for a fee, they can shoot some historic firearms. (More likely than not it would be a couple relatively common and inexpensive firearms. Not a 1 of a kind piece). Of course I would love to have MGs there as well. Now I don’t really know if that would be a great business or anything cause right now it’s just an idea but I think it would be a ton of fun. Should I make a thread discussing the idea and have more feedback from the community?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom