• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It was never an issue when I was growing up in SW Nebraska. Of course that might also be because in my hometown, my Dad was The Law - yes, those words deserve capital letters where Dad was concerned! :D I suppose the game warden might have been called out if someone heard us shooting, but it was pretty well known that Dad had at least once machine gun in his collection, and Dad and the game warden were friends.

It's a different mindset out there. Out there if someone heard a full-auto going off, they'd either assume it was legal, or none of their damned business.

We had a couple that we played with. The Thompson was the fun one - it was pre-WWII and had a cyclic rate of about 900 rounds per minute - by far the most fun machine gun I've ever fired, and to date I've shot:

Thompson
    Uzi
    H&K MP5
    Sten
    Bergmann MP35
    Mac 10
    SAW
    M16
    M60
    Probably one or two more, but they aren't coming to me right now.

Here's a pic of me at about age 16 or 17 with the Thompson - by this point I was already a practiced hand a shooting it. :D (Please, no judging of the dumb clothes I was wearing at the time - it was 1986-87 after all.) This was at a place we called The Gravel Pit that had once been used as a source of gravel and magnesia for "paving" of country roads, and it had been cut into the side of a hill, so we had a great dirt backstop and lots stuff to shoot at - Dad taught me to shoot by pointing out a dirt clod or clump of magnesia, (we used to also use it as sidewalk chalk) so I'd shoot it until it broke apart, then he'd have me hit one of the smaller pieces, and when it broke, one of the smaller pieces, and so on - kind of dialing it in.

The second pic is Dad with the Uzi taken at the range the town set on the outskirts of town for him (mostly him) and the other police officers under him - he was Chief of Police when this was taken.

Anyway, no - we never to my knowledge had the police called because we were shooting a machine gun.

Attachments

• 608085EC-E466-45E7-BBCD-871896AD956F.jpg
      608085EC-E466-45E7-BBCD-871896AD956F.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 292
    • BC5FFD9E-43D1-43A5-A6D8-962F3F4786E7.jpg
      BC5FFD9E-43D1-43A5-A6D8-962F3F4786E7.jpg
      100.4 KB · Views: 310
    Last edited:

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Ever had the cops called on you? How did that go.

My elderly neighbor Roy likes to call the cops at the drop of a hat so the State Police have shown up a couple times. Very polite and professional, i showed them my book of Forms and explained everything.

After the last time, the trooper gave me the phone number for the “duty officer” so i could give a heads up and i now give a courtesy call before we do full auto out back. No visits since then.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    The neighbors at the end of the street are full auto folks. Every few months the sherrif’s drop by because someone calls. Last time i was driving my golf cart down to skeeters house with some long range setups to do some ground hog shooting when we passed the sherrif’s on the road. He spun around real quick. Chewed me out for driving on the road with our rifles. I said “but we have an orange triangle”. He wasn’t impressed.
    Then he went back to the full auto group down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom