• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I thought if the diameter of the barrel throughout was a certain size then it is gtg

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    :). Of course not. No wonder the multitudes of same types of questions. like a box of chocolates. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, for us dumb people,, what Exactly is a "Barrel cut out"
    This one has two(or 3), but it's the front one that counts. And BTW, is a legal Hbar when a muzzle device is pinned and welded to achieve 16'' length.
    The cut-out is for mounting a 40mm grenade launcher(M203).

Attachments

• socom.jpg
      socom.jpg
      22.8 KB · Views: 151

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think the persistent confusion on my part is this example scenario:
    Criterion makes an HBAR profile barrel but doesn't mark it as HBAR and doesn't advertise it for direct sell to the public. JoeBob's buys the supply and advertises it as an HBAR.

Is that legal?

OR does it actually have to be marked/marketed ONLY by the actual manufacturer as such.

According to MSP, they don't mention who it is marketed by.

Is the guidance legal? I doubt it, but it's what we have to follow at this moment. I and others fear that if the definition is pushed and required to be written in state statute, it may become so narrow, that only COLT HBAR Sporters would qualify.

As it is now, there are barrels that have the M203 cutout that are legal for sale in Maryland because they're manufacturer markets them as heavy barrel, and calls the rifle itself an M4.

Does it make sense? Nope. Does it work in our favor? Yep. Ans that is ultimately what we want.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Good point. It ain’t.

If an M4 barrel is marked HBAR, its GTG.

Look at Colt's M4A1-SOCOM, it has the cutout, but MD legal according to MSPs non binding list. (Unless you go by the model number LE6920 SOCOM, then it's banned).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I see this whole ban/must be hbar deal as nothing more than a case builder at this point. I don't see any no-knock dynamic entries based on "suspected copycat" violations, but more of a case where they nab somebody for mopery with intent to creep and they find and AR they can pigeonhole into some sorta illegitimate configuration...

...for now.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    According to MSP, they don't mention who it is marketed by.

Is the guidance legal? I doubt it, but it's what we have to follow at this moment. I and others fear that if the definition is pushed and required to be written in state statute, it may become so narrow, that only COLT HBAR Sporters would qualify.

As it is now, there are barrels that have the M203 cutout that are legal for sale in Maryland because they're manufacturer markets them as heavy barrel, and calls the rifle itself an M4.

Does it make sense? Nope. Does it work in our favor? Yep. Ans that is ultimately what we want.

Understood....and we all know what my next question would have been....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom