M203 on AR15 = copycat in MD? Mount on SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I don’t know why I never thought of this before. I’m sure some of you noticed this, and have a solution.

Correct me if I’m wrong: in Maryland, an M203 mounted on an M4 (semiauto clone) with an flash hider is considered a Copycat assault weapon and this verboten?

How do we deal with this? i.e. strictly comply?

• Mount the M203 on an SBR?
    • Mount the M203 on an AR pistol?
    • Mount the M203 on an AR15 with a muzzle brake?

I’d been shopping for a Title 1 M203 receiver, and wanted the OG Barrel-mounted one. Maybe I should reconsider, and go with the rail-mounted one which seems easier to get a standalone adapter?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buy a Colt 14.5" socom barrel and SBR it. The socom is made for that and is a good shooter too.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    No. I have rifles that I purchased before 2013, but I’d wanted to put this on a more recent M4 or M4A1 clone.

That is an option though, excellent point.

Swap the lower receiver on the build in question to a pre-13 receiver and then I believe you'd be fine.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m way ahead of you guys, already did that. I have an M4A1 clone with the SOCOM barrel. The question is, can I do that with a post-2013 SBR, and I don’t think I can

Yes. SBRs are considered pistols. The copycat restrictions apply to center fire rifles.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m way ahead of you guys, already did that. I have an M4A1 clone with the SOCOM barrel. The question is, can I do that with a post-2013 SBR, and I don’t think I can
    AFAIK, SBRs don't fall under the copy rule. Keep in mind, you can't pin and weld a brake or flash hider(to nullify a second stamp). If you plan to add a muzzle device for a suppressor or something like that, just use Rocksett on the threads. You can also ask the BATF(and I recommend you do). They're not going to allow you to break state law.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    AFAIK, SBRs don't fall under the copy rule. Keep in mind, you can't pin and weld a brake or flash hider(to nullify a second stamp). If you plan to add a muzzle device for a suppressor or something like that, just use Rocksett on the threads. You can also ask the BATF(and I recommend you do). They're not going to allow you to break state law.
    So confusing :lol2:

My M4A1 clone is an SBR, post-2013. On my task list for this week is converting the upper from pin & weld with that ugly Colt device to just a 14.5 with A2 threaded on. This one won’t likely get a suppressor.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So confusing :lol2:

My M4A1 clone is an SBR, post-2013. On my task list for this week is converting the upper from pin & weld with that ugly Colt device to just a 14.5 with A2 threaded on. This one won’t likely get a suppressor.

I'm confused too. I should have reread your op. :)

Truly a Captain Obvious moment :lol2:

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Read another thread about copies vs copycat, and I’m still confused AF.

Considering one option that will definitely work, but is ridiculous...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ok. But then why do we have to make 29” SBRs?

Because reasons.

Less than 29” makes a semi-automatic rifles. Copycat and no longer an SBR. These are legislators that know almost nothing about guns. Don’t expect sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom