• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anyone do this? I know there's a tax credit for those who pay to have the meat butchered and given to a recognized charity once the Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry funds run out at their partnered butchers.

I've definitely got enough meat for my family with the one buck this year, but I'm concerned about other families during the holiday season that may not have weathered this year as successfully as we have.

Is it pretty easy to donate the meat from a successful hunt? I want to get back out there for gun season, and want the meat to go to a good use.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The local butcher I donate through you just drop it and write FHFH in the tag or tell him if he's there. Super easy. Find a local FHFH participating butcher and give em a call.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The local butcher I donate through you just drop it and write FHFH in the tag or tell him if he's there. Super easy. Find a local FHFH participating butcher and give em a call.

Same. I'd just take donation deer to Austin's in Hanover and they'd take it from there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I do FHFH and donate to anyone who asks me for it. So far I've killed two does and given them away. I can kill them 365...

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I have in the past before you got a tax credit for a few deer. Just look at the participating butchers on the DNR website or in the handbook. Not all butchers take donations. You can also usually post who wants a deer before you go out and get their contact info for a direct donation after you get the confirmation code. I have a few people that will take one if I get too many.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    AACo is giving hunters $50 for deer they donate. DNR has told them that that is illegal, but they say F off :lol:. So for the time being, you can get $50 for one there.

Edited with link: https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0201119-4mbjqfm2hfcizb32gtnot3xukq-story.html

That doesn't just violate state law, it violates federal laws against market hunting. The tax write-off is okay because you're essentially being refunded the agreed-upon lower cost of butchering for the FHFH program. Paying outright for the meat is a big no-no.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If anyone wants to donate one I’ll come get it. I’m gonna shoot one more but that’ll be extra jerky!!! I make at least 6lbs a year and that’s 30lbs of ground. Not to mention summer sausage!

When you make jerky people you barley know pop out the wood work.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I just shoot deer and our church works with a local shelter, I take care of the butchering and someone at our church gets it to the shelter. I'm hoping to do 4 deer this year. That's help I believe in.

I used to donate to FHFH, but the guys I went to always cut them off at peak times as they paid horrible and left their freezers packed (or so the complaints went)

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    If anyone wants to donate one I’ll come get it. I’m gonna shoot one more but that’ll be extra jerky!!! I make at least 6lbs a year and that’s 30lbs of ground. Not to mention summer sausage!

When you make jerky people you barley know pop out the wood work.

So true, suddenly have tons more friends that mysteriously disappear when the jerky is gone

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Anyone do this? I know there's a tax credit for those who pay to have the meat butchered and given to a recognized charity once the Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry funds run out at their partnered butchers.

I've definitely got enough meat for my family with the one buck this year, but I'm concerned about other families during the holiday season that may not have weathered this year as successfully as we have.

Is it pretty easy to donate the meat from a successful hunt? I want to get back out there for gun season, and want the meat to go to a good use.

There are butchers that take it for the FHFH program if you call around. I've also had success just posting that I don't need more deer meat, and is anyone in my area interested in a deer if I shoot and field dress one? Gave a nice doe away last year that way, and had 2-3 more parties interested in taking another one if I got it.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    There are butchers that take it for the FHFH program if you call around. I've also had success just posting that I don't need more deer meat, and is anyone in my area interested in a deer if I shoot and field dress one? Gave a nice doe away last year that way, and had 2-3 more parties interested in taking another one if I got it.

For our crop damage permits we have a list of people who we shoot for yearly. its easy to find them and year after year they want more.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Took 50lbs of ground venison to church today, someone at church is going to distribute it to a local place and let us know when they're ready for more. Hopefully get 2-3 more into their hands this season

czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    Gosh, I've never eaten venison. Does it taste like....chicken? :) Seriously, never had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom