• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    This version of the Mossberg 500 has both a pistol grip and a regular stock that can be put on the shotgun.

Under current Maryland law, is it lawful to transfer that shotgun to a new buyer or is it somehow on the banned list?

And can that firearm be transferred face to face or does it need to go through an FFL?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I've never heard of this transferring as anything but a shotgun which is 18+ and cash and carry.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Under Federal law, the buyer must be 21yo , no special Md requirements

Incorrect. Pistol Grip Only (PGO) shotguns are 21 and over. Those also can be made into Shockwaves with 14” front ends.

The shotgun OP is talking about is 18+ face to face.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Incorrect. Pistol Grip Only (PGO) shotguns are 21 and over. Those also can be made into Shockwaves with 14” front ends.

The shotgun OP is talking about is 18+ face to face.

I don't think this is considered a PGO either since the stock and pistol grip can both be installed on this. Correct me I am wrong per the original post but you are talking about the Mossberg 500 FLEX series?... Pull up on the do hickey, turn 90 degrees and the grip or stock comes right off. You can swap out the grip for stock or vice versa in a few seconds. I have one of those - 18". I don't think you can install a shockwave on the FLEX series. Mine was a simple transfer as any other shotgun from an FFL. That was WITH the pistol grip installed. I had to buy the stock separately.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I happen to be confident Kicken Wing is over 21yo . Over 21 , PGO ( shotgun- like device ) is simple 4473 as if it were a shotgun ( Federally) .

And their is a distinction between a combo set with both buttstock and pistol grip , compared to SKU's that come only with the Pistol Grip . For new .

I am not a lawyer , but it would seem that for secondary transactions of used ( things with smoothbores that go bang ) , it would be governed by the firearm's actual configuration at time of transfer , not necessarily its packaging at time of mfg . Ie , came from mfg packaged with only PG , but subsequent owner(s) had aquired a buttstock , and are currently offering for sale as a package with both , treated like a shotgun . Conversely , came from mfg as package of both , but previous owner lost the buttstock , and now offering for sale as is , with PGO , treated as an Other .

Confusing ? Yup
    Could we spitball all kinds of imaginative scenarios that would leave us scratching our heads ? Damn straight ! We're MDS , and spitballing off the wall hypotheticals is what we do .

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    And I happen to be confident Kicken Wing is over 21yo . Over 21 , PGO ( shotgun- like device ) is simple 4473 as if it were a shotgun ( Federally) .

And their is a distinction between a combo set with both buttstock and pistol grip , compared to SKU's that come only with the Pistol Grip . For new .

I am not a lawyer , but it would seem that for secondary transactions of used ( things with smoothbores that go bang ) , it would be governed by the firearm's actual configuration at time of transfer , not necessarily its packaging at time of mfg . Ie , came from mfg packaged with only PG , but subsequent owner(s) had aquired a buttstock , and are currently offering for sale as a package with both , treated like a shotgun . Conversely , came from mfg as package of both , but previous owner lost the buttstock , and now offering for sale as is , with PGO , treated as an Other .

Confusing ? Yup
    Could we spitball all kinds of imaginative scenarios that would leave us scratching our heads ? Damn straight ! We're MDS , and spitballing off the wall hypotheticals is what we do .

You guessed right... I am over 21. Did the bald head give it away? Confusing... Yes. Let the spitballs fly!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Confusing ? Yup

One minor distinction, a pistol grip is NOT a birds head, which what the shockwave and other type "shotguns" use. So a shotgun, with a pistol grip can be sold cash and carry to anyone 18+ just as if it was a shotgun with a full shoulder stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom