• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Looking for advice,... i've been saving my pennies for a can for quite some time and now that I have the money, issues arise. Had decided on an AAC M4-2000 based on its great bang for the buck reviews and had battle comp 51t's pinned and welded on 2, 14.5 inch rifles. It seems now with the filed bankruptcy all the AAC stuff is gone or will be gone. I had thought about a Saker with the 51t mount but those are discontinued and seem difficult to find used. So I guess at this point I'll have to have the the muzzle devices removed and new ones installed. Whats a good option, surefire, dead air, or even still silencerco with their mount? Curious to everyone's opinion.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    At this point, it's mostly about your choice in muzzle device/QD method. A lot of them have muzzle devices long enough to pin on 14.5" barrels, some have more variety than others. SiCo, Dead air, Thunder Beast, YHM, Rugged, Q, Griffin, and a few others. I really like Griffin muzzle devices and their taper mount system, cans aren't bad either. The 1.375x24 mount threading is becoming somewhat standard for many brands, so you have a lot of choices to mix and match cans and mounts from different manufacturers.

4rcefedmkiv

Aug 6, 2010
    Arnold, MD
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll check out the Griffin armament stuff. If I have to pitch the idea to the wife, my kid's name is Griffin so that may be an easy sell.

As far as budget goes I had wanted to keep it under $1000 for the stamp and suppressor but the more I look around I'm thinking I may take money from a different project and revisit that down the road.

Originally my plan was to have just a 223/556 can . I've now started a 300blk build and why not supress that too, right ? The sandman from deadair looked like a good jack of all trades candidate.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    AAC got bought by the owners of Palmetto State Armory, so they may bring the AAC products back onto the market some time in the future.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll check out the Griffin armament stuff. If I have to pitch the idea to the wife, my kid's name is Griffin so that may be an easy sell.

As far as budget goes I had wanted to keep it under $1000 for the stamp and suppressor but the more I look around I'm thinking I may take money from a different project and revisit that down the road.

Originally my plan was to have just a 223/556 can . I've now started a 300blk build and why not supress that too, right ? The sandman from deadair looked like a good jack of all trades candidate.

Keymo is probably the best actual QD system in use, but the adapter is large and $250, and they have all of 3 muzzle devices, a long brake, long flash hider, and a short brake.

Griffin has at least a dozen current taper mount devices and about the same number of gate-lock devices(many 3rd party devices work with gate lock). small minimalist brakes and flash hiders in steel and Ti, full size brakes and flash hiders of a few designs, linear comps, and several thread pitch choices in each, and adapters to use other cans with their Taper mounts. The system is really simple, coarse threads ahead of a taper, 3 full turns and snug it up, they tighten up as the gun heats up, and pretty much never back off, and comes right off provided the can isn't blazing hot. Some worry the threads will lockup being they are ahead of the taper, but I've never had an issue, supposedly they have tested it, and nobody seems to have an issue. They include thin shims to stack and time devices that require it, IMO PA's washer system or even a peel washer is better. It's also really compact, being the can will seat to the taper mount that is against the barrel shoulder, so a 6" Taper mount can on a 10.5" barrel with 1/2 long muzzle threads would end up right about 16" total, only 5.5" longer than a bare muzzle or 4" longer than a 2" long muzzle device.

I have a Griffin Explorr 30 cal can, pretty much right at your budget, 30cal/300WM rated, 12.5oz and 6.5" long with their tactical brake included(5/8x24). I've been happy with it, close to a K can size, but quieter, it's fully welded with no moving parts, so it's simple, but also locks you into their taper mount system. For the money, the YHM cans are awesome and cheap with 1.375x24 mounts. You are also in the Rugged Razor, DA Sandman K, and Nomad price range too.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The SilencerCo ASR 3 prong flash-hider will get your 14.5 to legal length no problem. I have a Saker 556 that lives mostly on my 10.3 SBR, but occasionally see's use on 3 other rifles. The ASR mount is very robust and I haven't had any issues. The 3 prong ASR also doesn't have any tuning fork ping like the Surefire 3 and 4 prong mounts.

I bought mine in April of last year and the Saker 556 plus tax stamp was just a hair over $1000 after taxes, finger prints, and passport photo at Free State.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    So here's my take.. Over the years I've bought a number of these silly can things. I really think the Dead Air Keymo is probably the best mount out there (and the mount is one of the most important things) however the recent QC of Dead Air is???? I loved the Silencerco Trifecta (what Keymo is) however with round count it had problems removing the can. For Dead Air, I was sold on one of their rimfire cans but honestly, a conversation between one of their dealers and reps talked me out of (sorry DA). There's simply to much ? for my $. Silencerco and Rugged - the folks who don't question crap and take care of issues, and therefore that's where I continue to put my hard earned $. I have cans from both of these companies (and more) and I'll tell you - their top shelf and take care of their customers. Take Silencerco, I had a problem with my older Trifecta and they completely transitioned my one can over to the ASR mount at 0 $.. Find a company that stands behind their stuff like that.

Footnote - I have nothing against many of these others and have been interested in Sig, Q, OSS, Dead Air, Griffin and more - they and others make interesting/good stuff. But for a suppressor, I want to but one and cry once - and then never worry... The company reputation and and how they stand behind their stuff is important to me... Other folks might not see the same but that's life... Some like Joe and some Donald - we all have different tastes.

Cheers... Do your research.. Find what you like and buy it.... You won't stop at one. :)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't have anything much to add to what is already a lot of great advice. I'll just second the recommendation for one of the Rugged cans. That's what I ended up getting and am so far very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom