• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Shot this ol’ boy tonight. I’m a meat hunter and have never gone this long in the season without shooting a deer, but tonight was a big night for me.

Its not much by some standards but its the biggest deer i’ve ever shot

Nice deer, public or private land?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    With all the deer I saw moving around 4PM today I'm expecting a lot of those in counties that allow Sunday hunting for some more good report.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Had my son out this weekend for his first deer season as a “shooter”. Saw a bunch of deer but no luck. We spent pretty much all day in the woods the last two days and he couldn’t have been happier.

Attachments

• 06BBF8D2-0894-40C4-A3A5-6BF64E18EA81.jpg
      06BBF8D2-0894-40C4-A3A5-6BF64E18EA81.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 232

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My son took this buck at 7:00 this morning. Shot it with his 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American, and dropped it in it’s tracks. Using his range finder it was a 178 yard shot. In the back of the picture, there is a stack of hay bales. He was in the prone position, on top of them. Just to put that distance into perspective. I’m a proud dad for sure.

Attachments

• BA455D36-D780-4829-B06D-3E01B0A7D823.jpg
      BA455D36-D780-4829-B06D-3E01B0A7D823.jpg
      123.4 KB · Views: 223

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My son took this buck at 7:00 this morning. Shot it with his 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American, and dropped it in it’s tracks. Using his range finder it was a 178 yard shot. In the back of the picture, there is a stack of hay bales. He was in the prone position, on top of them. Just to put that distance into perspective. I’m a proud dad for sure.

thats awesome :thumbsup:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Went back out this evening, with my son. He was going back to his spot on top of the hay bales. Wasn’t there long, when I heard him shoot. He got a doe. She was just over 50 yards away. Once again, he dropped the deer right there. After all this I’m whipped. Hopefully I can get some rest this week while I’m at work. Lol

Attachments

• 8AE7E2A5-8849-4800-8A3C-4BBD0DA24781.jpg
      8AE7E2A5-8849-4800-8A3C-4BBD0DA24781.jpg
      143.6 KB · Views: 229

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013

Sweet! On top of a hay stack is an awesome tactic.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Shot this ol’ boy tonight. I’m a meat hunter and have never gone this long in the season without shooting a deer, but tonight was a big night for me.

Its not much by some standards but its the biggest deer i’ve ever shot
    Not much? That deer is beautiful. Big body, and he is one broken point away from a perfectly symmetrical, wide 8 point rack. Two things I like the most in a whitetail rack, width and symmetry. I’d be proud to hang that on my wall. Congratulations EB!

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Congrats to the ones that harvested! I sat from 6-5 on Sat and seen a mom and fawn with no shot. Hunting Sunday morning saw a fawn and than seen 3 does in the evening. Heard well over 100 shots both days, but deer just weren't in the area I was sitting.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Last week my 10 year old son and I were bow hunting out of a blind in our field in the late afternoon. There was a 6-point that was coming around regularly that I wanted him to take and he has been practicing regularly and I felt confident in his shot placement. I told him if the buck comes around it is his, but if he doesn't shoot, I'll take the shot. I really didn't want to take this deer as I was after a larger 10 point or even bigger 8 point that was coming around another blind we had set up down in the woods. While we were in the blind the rain started coming down hard just about the time 7 does come into the field soon followed by the buck. We both draw on it when it presents a broad side shot at about 25 yards. I told my son to take the shot. After a handful of seconds and he hadn't shot I told him I was taking the shot. It was a solid hit, the buck jumped and ran off out of my view in the heavy rain. I didn't see where the arrow struck. it was about 4:50 pm and dark was falling as fast as the rain.

We waited a little bit, then when there was a break in the rain we decided to take our gear back to the house, eat dinner then come back out and look for the buck. We got hold of a neighbor to help and in the dark and drizzling rain went to find the buck with our flashlights cutting through blackness. We found the arrow about 30 yards behind where the animal was standing but didn't see much blood on it (I believed that the rain had washed it clean). We started looking for the blood trail at the edge of heavy brush and trees at he top of a ravine next to the field where I thought the buck had run to as the does had ran off that way. My neighbor and I couldn't find any sign of blood on the wet leaves and weeds. My son starts looking along each of the deer trails going down the ravine and calls out blood. He pointed it out and I could barely make out a bit of diluted red on the fall leaves, I never would have seen it if he hadn't pointed it out. My son pointed out a few more spots in the thick greenbrier covered slop but we all lost the trail completely at the bottom. My son walks back up and somehow finds the blood trail had turned 90 degrees halfway down the slope. We didn't believe that he was on the trail as we couldn't see anything but followed him non the less.
    Soon we come across the buck lying dead on the slope, about 30 yards behind the blind where it had circled back after running about 50 yards total. I couldn't believe that my 10 year old had tracked that deer through the dark and rain to where we found it in the obscuring brush.

When I asked him why he didn't take the shot he said he couldn't get the sight to settle down and needed more time; I think he was holding out to get the larger deer when we resume our hunting now that my bow hunting season is over ;)

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Last week my 10 year old son and I were bow hunting out of a blind in our field in the late afternoon. There was a 6-point that was coming around regularly that I wanted him to take and he has been practicing regularly and I felt confident in his shot placement. I told him if the buck comes around it is his, but if he doesn't shoot, I'll take the shot. I really didn't want to take this deer as I was after a larger 10 point or even bigger 8 point that was coming around another blind we had set up down in the woods. While we were in the blind the rain started coming down hard just about the time 7 does come into the field soon followed by the buck. We both draw on it when it presents a broad side shot at about 25 yards. I told my son to take the shot. After a handful of seconds and he hadn't shot I told him I was taking the shot. It was a solid hit, the buck jumped and ran off out of my view in the heavy rain. I didn't see where the arrow struck. it was about 4:50 pm and dark was falling as fast as the rain.

We waited a little bit, then when there was a break in the rain we decided to take our gear back to the house, eat dinner then come back out and look for the buck. We got hold of a neighbor to help and in the dark and drizzling rain went to find the buck with our flashlights cutting through blackness. We found the arrow about 30 yards behind where the animal was standing but didn't see much blood on it (I believed that the rain had washed it clean). We started looking for the blood trail at the edge of heavy brush and trees at he top of a ravine next to the field where I thought the buck had run to as the does had ran off that way. My neighbor and I couldn't find any sign of blood on the wet leaves and weeds. My son starts looking along each of the deer trails going down the ravine and calls out blood. He pointed it out and I could barely make out a bit of diluted red on the fall leaves, I never would have seen it if he hadn't pointed it out. My son pointed out a few more spots in the thick greenbrier covered slop but we all lost the trail completely at the bottom. My son walks back up and somehow finds the blood trail had turned 90 degrees halfway down the slope. We didn't believe that he was on the trail as we couldn't see anything but followed him non the less.
    Soon we come across the buck lying dead on the slope, about 30 yards behind the blind where it had circled back after running about 50 yards total. I couldn't believe that my 10 year old had tracked that deer through the dark and rain to where we found it in the obscuring brush.

When I asked him why he didn't take the shot he said he couldn't get the sight to settle down and needed more time; I think he was holding out to get the larger deer when we resume our hunting now that my bow hunting season is over ;)

That’s awesome, to be 10 years old and tracking that good. Your teaching him right!
    It must be those young eyes. Lol. That’s what I tell my son, when he sees something and I don’t. Lol.

Good luck in the rest of the season, and I hope your son gets the big one. I love to see kids out in the outdoors. If we don’t pass it on, it will be gone forever.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

The Army called, they said they've got dibs on your son. The Marines called right after that and said they'd have it out with the Army over who gets him. ;)

Fantastic shot!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    The Army called, they said they've got dibs on your son. The Marines called right after that and said they'd have it out with the Army over who gets him. ;)

Fantastic shot!

:lol2: Thanks, I’m also very impressed with his ability’s, behind the rifle.
    He has actually spoke about the possibly of joining up. But at 16 years old, like most of us at his age, he’s not sure what he wants to do.

I’m definitely going to show him this post. I’m sure he’ll get a chuckle, and an even bigger head, reading your comment. Thanks.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Chalk up doe 3 of gun season.

Related note, 350 legend continues to impress me. 130 yards and she made it 25 feet. Lungs were liquid.

Attachments

• 296BA98C-0BCA-4422-B547-4BA589FBCD45.jpg
      296BA98C-0BCA-4422-B547-4BA589FBCD45.jpg
      155.7 KB · Views: 213

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Chalk up doe 3 of gun season.

Related note, 350 legend continues to impress me. 130 yards and she made it 25 feet. Lungs were liquid.

Sweet rig. If I didn't already have a slug gun, I would have purchased one of those uppers by now. Still might...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom