• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I have an M16 I need to pick up in MD and get back to GA. Frankly, the idea of a 10 hour drive up Saturday and then driving back Sunday sounds horrible. I would love to be able to ship it to myself with insured registered mail or ship it to my NFA dealer in Atlanta and just grab it from them. Any of these options legal?
    Flying is definitely out, I don't think they insure that high, and if they do, probably cheaper to fly up and drive a rental car back.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I mailed them in when I found out I was approved, don't have it back yet. My Dad could mail it for me or my dealer (if legal) when the paperwork gets back, since we both can
    possess it.

Probably pissing the ATF off with amount of 5320.20s I filled, but hey it's their stupid rule not mine.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wouldnt trust a carrier with my M16. Nope, nope, nope!

I would drive 20 hours each way if it were me.

I have no idea about the legality of shipping.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I would wait until you have the approved 5320.20. Then you can have it shipped by your Dad or a dealer.

Yea I am not sending it out of state without receiving the paperwork, but want to find out my options of getting it back. Travel during the week is probably off limits for a couple months due to the job, which leaves weekends.

Other option is file another 5320.20 for when I meet my parents in SC in the summer , and have my dad bring it with him and hand it over to me there.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Call me optimistic but MGs get shipped everyday. They are not all FTF sales. Do you ever see the larger dealers advertising to buy all over the country and pay shipping and insurance? Or people buying off of Uzi Talk or Sturm NFA sales pages? I would be nervous, I'll admit, but I don't see why it can't be shipped to your FFL. Just be WELL insured. I'd just overnite it to your FFL if I was in your position. 1 Transfer form for ATF.
    AS for your father transporting it, Is he entitled to legal possession and control of the firearm? I guess he would have to be a co-trustee for it to be legal? As for another 5320.20, how many can you have in process? Transfer from MD to SC. Transfer from SC to GA. Or transfer from MD to GA. It sounds like you are creating a paperwork nightmare. Don't you have to have the returned form before you can move the gun out of state? Sounds like a logistical nightmare. MD to SC, wait on form. SC to GA, wait on form.
    I bought my Uzi from a civilian in MS, it was already on a form 4 at his FFL and the FFL shipped it to MD. Not the same value as yours of course. Maybe I got lucky.
    Corrected to say Uzi was on a Form 3. Duh

Last edited:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Call me optimistic but MGs get shipped everyday. They are not all FTF sales. Do you ever see the larger dealers advertising to buy all over the country and pay shipping and insurance? Or people buying off of Uzi Talk or Sturm NFA sales pages? I would be nervous, I'll admit, but I don't see why it can't be shipped to your FFL. Just be WELL insured. I'd just overnite it to your FFL if I was in your position. 1 Transfer form for ATF.
    AS for your father transporting it, Is he entitled to legal possession and control of the firearm? I guess he would have to be a co-trustee for it to be legal? As for another 5320.20, how many can you have in process? Transfer from MD to SC. Transfer from SC to GA. Or transfer from MD to GA. It sounds like you are creating a paperwork nightmare. Don't you have to have the returned form before you can move the gun out of state? Sounds like a logistical nightmare. MD to SC, wait on form. SC to GA, wait on form.
    I bought my Uzi from a civilian in MS, it was already on a form 4 at his FFL and the FFL shipped it to MD. Not the same value as yours of course. Maybe I got lucky.

Dad is cotrustee with full legal access so no problem there.

The ATF says you have to have a separate 5320.20 for every address you bring the gun. I have tried to get my house and my ranges on the same 5320.20 and been rejected stating I need a different form for each address.

I know FFLs can mail guns and I can mail guns to FFLs, the difference is that I they usually have to sign any gun they receive into their book and then they have to transfer it. I'm not doing a transfer.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Once 5320.20 for your home is received, I would break the rifle down into upper and lower, ship the upper like a usual shipment and either retrieve the lower in person, or ship it overnight UPS Red with serious insurance.

My reason for shipping in sections is simple- shipping a piece of aluminum with a plastic buttstock is easier and draws less attention than an assembled black rifle.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Once 5320.20 for your home is received, I would break the rifle down into upper and lower, ship the upper like a usual shipment and either retrieve the lower in person, or ship it overnight UPS Red with serious insurance.

My reason for shipping in sections is simple- shipping a piece of aluminum with a plastic buttstock is easier and draws less attention than an assembled black rifle.

If you go this route just be sure to use a large enough box that someone can't easily smuggle it out.
    I guess the $100 question is, Can you just ship it to yourself, or you dad ship it to you. Some lawyer type should belong to answer that.
    I don't know what using an FFL entails. Meaning is it anything more than just a normal transfer. If it counts as a normal transfer the $100 or so they charge is a lot cheaper/easier than driving up and back.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Did anyone come up with a legal answer for this. I know he went and picked it up, but I am curious.....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can ship to yourself.

Your Dad shipping it to you might not be legal.

However, some carriers require an FFL at one end or the other. FedEx and UPS do.

Start driving Friday evening. Bring a friend to help drive. Get part way there Friday night. Finish Saturday, start back again, finish Sunday.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just make sure to insure it properly. It'll cost a fair bit of coin, but you only need to do it once.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    i have t looked at Mega Buses policies, but I could always fly up and bus back if allowed. Takes longer but more comfortable and I could work/read while traveling.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I know UPS doesn't ship MGs. Have to use Fed Ex or USPS.

I've used USPS Registered Mail a couple of times. It gets signed for at each stop and locked in their safe overnight. A 07/SOT recommended that shipping method to me for MG's. A few years ago when I shipped just my RR to M60 Joe, it cost $40 with about $14K of insurance.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I am not 100% on the mailing rules to ones self.

I imagine is going to get cost prohibitive to ship constantly. I just did a FedEx estimate and it came back at $260 for ground for $25K of insurance.... Might as well just move back to MD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom