• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yup...

If it aint going on the 4473 as "long gun" then the state of mary gets involved, wants their $10 donation, 7 day jail and to know where its home is so the eventual confiscation can be more orderly and efficient ;)

NO!!! If he builds it MSP doesn't get notified of it, and it DOES NOT Need to go on a 77R

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Haha. I guess I misunderstood what folks were telling me on other threads. I guess it’s my job to call MSP or does FFL do it? But if I remember right no HQL is that correct?

If you end with a stripped lower it will be sold on a 77R and 7 day wait, no HQL required, when you pick it up, the FFL will do a 4473 for the transfer as required by Federal law.

If you finish an 80% lower, there is nothing for you to do, no 77R, no 4473...NOTHING, other than build your firearm.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    <<I guess it’s my job to call MSP or does FFL do it? But if I remember right no HQL is that correct?>>

They ask you to "voluntarily" register your handgun/pistol/regulated firearm after you build it.

(From the MSP website)

How To Apply

The Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (MSP 77R) can ONLY be completed through the Licensing Portal. Before beginning your 77R application you will need to create an account with a valid email address. Creating an account assists us with verifying your identity and ensures the safety of your personal demographics. Once you have created your account you will be able to log in to start your 77R application.

Upon submission of your 77R application you will receive a confirmation email with your application number and PIN number. Bring both items (application number and PIN number) to a licensed Maryland Regulated Firearm Dealer or to a Maryland State Police Barrack to complete the application process.

The Dealer/Barrack will complete the application and submit it to Licensing Division. On the 8th day after the application has been submitted to Licensing Division by the Dealer or Barrack you will receive an email notifying you of your final disposition.

If the notification email states your final disposition is Not Disapproved or Initial Review Not Disapproved this means that you have been approved and can now pick up your weapon. However if the notification email states your final disposition is Disapproved then you may contact the Maryland State Police for more information on the Disapproval; no further details will be provided in the notification email.

NOT Required by state statute, if you build your own handgun/pistol.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    As you’ll see in a previous post (Stating I only need 77R) do I need to complete a 4473 as well? The 4473 has three boxes, handgun, long gun, other. Under other it states receiver as one of the options. I thought this form was used for all FFL transfers.

Yes, the FFL needs to complete a 77R and will do so when you pick up the lower. You are correct, used by the FFL for ALL transfers.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    NO!!! If he builds it MSP doesn't get notified of it, and it DOES NOT Need to go on a 77R

Per the OP's intent:

I’ll be picking up my first stripped lower at a MD FFL next week (ordered from out of state). The FFL confirmed they will be checking the ‘other’ box on the 4473. I do plan to build it into a pistol but I wasn’t aware I had to tell that to anyone. If I do build into a pistol AR do I have to notify MSP and have a 77R completed?

Sounds like a 77R to me :confused: (stripped lower = 77R)

There is no need to 'tell' anyone because by default they already 'know' via the 77R.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Per the OP's intent:

Sounds like a 77R to me :confused: (stripped lower = 77R)

There is no need to 'tell' anyone because by default they already 'know' via the 77R.
    Regardless of pistol build, I’m then able to switch to rifle and back again in perpetuity, correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Regardless of pistol build, I’m then able to switch to rifle and back again in perpetuity, correct?
    As long as it starts out as a pistol. If it starts out as a rifle(who would know' exactly?), then it cannot be converted into a pistol.

It can be SBR'd, which in Md is considered a rifle or sometimes a pistol, depending on the statute. But never mind all that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom