• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    (Temp thread hi-Jack). The small knife handle doesn’t do the wood justice. Here’s a nice example of a Finn Artic Birch Stock. The larger piece of wood really shows off the grain.
    That's purdy!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've never had a chigger. Not even sure what to look for.

They are very small and red. They hang out in clumps or balls on the ends/tops of vegetation just like ticks. As the others have said when you get them you F’n know for at least 3 weeks to a month. They kinda look like clover mites.

Bump, bump, bump... Another one bites the dust...

2bGMOpS.jpg

Congrats!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They are very small and red. They hang out in clumps or balls on the ends/tops of vegetation just like ticks. As the others have said when you get them you F’n know for at least 3 weeks to a month. They kinda look like clover mites.

Congrats!!
    Mine usually stop itching after 5-7 days. The trick is to not scratch. The ensuing damage only prolongs the itching.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mine usually stop itching after 5-7 days. The trick is to not scratch. The ensuing damage only prolongs the itching.

You must have the will power of a god! I used to get them on my sock line when we had property in federalsburg. As soon as i hit the shower and the hot water touch the bites holy god i couldn’t not scratch.

In fact i think the US Government should use chiggers when interrogating terrorist. It obviously won’t kill them and anyone who won’t talk after 3-4 days of not being able to scratch the bites obviously isn’t talking period.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I got my first chiggers last weekend fishing in sandals with my son. Oh my, I honestly didn't realize anything could itch so much. I did my best to resist. The scabs are just starting to fall off now.

Lesson learned there.

And yeah it still itches. But dropping a 1.5# package of frozen venison on my foot moving some of last year's deer from my chest freezer to my fridge to clear space for this year's deer (hopefully plural before not too long) helped. Now the bruise and nearly broken metatarsals are distracting me from all the itching.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You must have the will power of a god! I used to get them on my sock line when we had property in federalsburg. As soon as i hit the shower and the hot water touch the bites holy god i couldn’t not scratch.

In fact i think the US Government should use chiggers when interrogating terrorist. It obviously won’t kill them and anyone who won’t talk after 3-4 days of not being able to scratch the bites obviously isn’t talking period.
    You've never lived til you get one in your bellybutton. :lol2:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Nice blade. I wish i knew that much about mine. My friend bought it for me because she knows I hunt and it had a stag on it. Lol. All I know is it is sharp as hell and performed as well as my razorlite but better, because cleaning it is so much easier.
    DxEJ1pr.jpg

Correction. My knife is from Finland.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I've posted this before - here's how you abate chiggers. Understand that they inject some crap in you that make your flesh more or less rot and they eat the skank that comes out.

1) scratch them. open up the wound.
    2) get in the shower. Wash up. Get under the tub faucet or use the shower 'hose' and start washing down the chigger bites.
    3) turn up the water temperature. turn it up until its nearly scalding and unbearable. This is making the skank under your skin almost liquid.
    4) flip the water to use cold. wash the bites down vigorously.
    5) get out of the shower and dry off.

Wait a minute or two and you will see you skin (contacting form the cold water) push the skank out. The itching will stop for about 8 hours. Do it again in 8 hours. Will probably take three times and all the skank will be out and you will be over it. about a day and a half.

This is the only relief I've ever found.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My son in law shot a doe today with warts on her legs. Apparently it’s no big deal but it’s not doing much for my appetite.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Took a nice doe this morning. Walked in the woods at 6:00 sharp. Let the arrow fly at 7:13. Pretty good morning.

Attachments

• 5239E308-32E4-466E-B713-D035849575CD.jpeg
      5239E308-32E4-466E-B713-D035849575CD.jpeg
      125 KB · Views: 382

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Very nice work.

Does it seem like they're mostly feeding on acorns at this point (recognizing this might vary if you've got bait or fruit trees, etc)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've posted this before - here's how you abate chiggers. Understand that they inject some crap in you that make your flesh more or less rot and they eat the skank that comes out.

2) get in the shower. Wash up. Get under the tub faucet or use the shower 'hose' and start washing down the chigger bites.
    3) turn up the water temperature. turn it up until its nearly scalding and unbearable. This is making the skank under your skin almost liquid.

Wait a minute or two and you will see you skin (contacting form the cold water) push the skank out. The itching will stop for about 8 hours. Do it again in 8 hours. Will probably take three times and all the skank will be out and you will be over it. about a day and a half.

I'll try that next time but my childhood memories are filled with this stuff. Worked pretty good if I remember correctly

https://chiggerex.com/

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yeah, I'm not doing that to my belly button. No friggin way. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A Red hot butter knife will work for the really bad bites.
    You can close the truck door on your thumb right before you press it on to keep your mind off it when you do it.
    LOL

I've found that a little rubbing alcohol a couple times a day gives relief. It may even work to shorten the duration of the torture.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Chiggers. Not good.

My old uncle swore he was following the Indian way. He did four things. Wool socks. Flowers of sulfur (powdered) in his boots. Worked up a decent sweat right after coming out of the woods. Changed clothes immediately.

He swore it worked. I never hunted that early in the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom