• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Any recommendation for 5 gallon gas cans that seal tight for storage and a long trip in the back of a CRV so I won’t breathe in the fumes? Plan is to store four cans with stabilizer, which would be more than enough to get me back to middle TN without stopping at a gas station assuming I leave with a full tank. I guess I should make it 8 in case I need to do a complete fill at home in the middle of the night before I split.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Curious as to why you are not in the mood to stop at a gas station enroute...

Running moonshine? :innocent0

:)

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Curious as to why you are not in the mood to stop at a gas station enroute...

Running moonshine? :innocent0

:)

Well I can easily do that every time I come back from there to MD (a gallon or less is ok through VA I’m told).

This is worst case scenario bug out plan stuff. Though arguably if things ever got that bad I wouldn’t have passable roads for all 680 miles.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Thanks for the input - seems like either way metal cans are worth the price for the sake of storage and stability.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Those metal Eagle gas cans are a lifetime investment. The older 'non safety' versions were even better.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Those metal Eagle gas cans are a lifetime investment. The older 'non safety' versions were even better.

I agree. I am keeping my eagle can. Even like the fitted funnel on the 5 gallon. American made.

I have a 5 gallon Sure-Can. I am still getting used to the mechanism. They are better than all the safety laden options currently sold. I will be getting a 2 gallon version for mix.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I am a big fan of Wavian brand jerry cans. Been using them for a number of years. The shed has never smelled of gas. Even took a couple out to Wisconsin and back. Never had a leak. They also seem to keep gas fresh at least up to a year with no stabilizer. At least under the conditions I have them stored.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I am a big fan of Wavian brand jerry cans. Been using them for a number of years. The shed has never smelled of gas. Even took a couple out to Wisconsin and back. Never had a leak. They also seem to keep gas fresh at least up to a year with no stabilizer. At least under the conditions I have them stored.

Yes, these are the beat cans you can buy. I have a few with the old style spouts which are no longer available.

https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can-20l-red-for-fuel/

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    It will take you more time to put the gas in via a can than it would a pump. Besides here on the TN border I'm paying $1.93 a gallon I have little doubt you're paying considerably more.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a Justrite Accuflow with the nozzle. The large nozzle size is larger than your "gas-hole" so get the smaller one. For plastic, the "No Spill" seems like a good can. Being rectangular, it would be a better packing fraction.

In for a jar of your shine.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    It will take you more time to put the gas in via a can than it would a pump. Besides here on the TN border I'm paying $1.93 a gallon I have little doubt you're paying considerably more.

Now that I’m back, but I filled up for 1.89 once while I was out there. Gonna miss that.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Not a fan of the ones suggested

All of the cans suggested have both good and bad points.. The "safety cans" are a pain to fill and pour from..

I use Scepter or Supply Core USGI Jerry cans I've purchased from ebay (make sure they have good gaskets) and fill the truck with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Sipho...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have not stored them inside the cab - but have never known them to leak..

YMMV...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any recommendation for 5 gallon gas cans that seal tight for storage and a long trip in the back of a CRV so I won’t breathe in the fumes? Plan is to store four cans with stabilizer, which would be more than enough to get me back to middle TN without stopping at a gas station assuming I leave with a full tank. I guess I should make it 8 in case I need to do a complete fill at home in the middle of the night before I split.

Not to be an A-hole, but if you need to do a complete fill in the middle of the night before leaving you aren’t doing it right.

These days I don’t let the tank get under 1/2 and usually don’t under 3/4. That said, also working from home 100% right now so that is a bit easier to handle than having to hit a gas station every 3-4 days if I was commuting to work.

I have several brands. They mostly work fine. All seal well. Probably just replace the caps with the simple spout with cap you can find on Amazon. All the ones I’ve gotten work fine. As someone else mentioned, get a large funnel that’ll fit in your gas fill-up tube. If you need to be filling up with gas it’s going to be way fast to just take the spout/cap off the gas can and use the funnel to fill.

I have plastic 3x5.5 gallon cans, a couple of 2.5 gallon cans, a 1 gallon 50:1 can for 2-stroke engines and a 5.5 gallon jerry can. I rotate through it. As should you. I use stabilizer as well, but generally don’t need to. Really only an issue if it is going to sit more than 6 months.

Over the course of a lawn care season I can use all the cans. When I empty one, I fill it next time I go to the gas station and then rotate it to the back of the row of cans.

In your case if you don’t have a lot of mowing to do, just periodically fill your car/truck from the cans and then go refill them.

IMHO granted you drive what you drive, but it’s partly why I won’t get a big truck/SUV. Not just the cost of running it, but if I need to drive, say, 800 miles, in my car that takes about 20 gallons of gas if it’s all highway driving. My wife’s van that would be about 35 gallons. Big truck, that’s likely more like 50 gallons.

That said I am looking for something like an older Jeep Liberty as a utility vehicle for snow plowing, off-roading and hunting.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    Wavian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG6x_BoGqNY

Valpro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjY25s2lbA

I think these are the same company now. I purchased several under the Valpro label years ago and never had an issue. I even dropped one off a shelf, full, from a height of six feet. It barely scraped the paint.

www.roverparts.com has a pack of 4 for sale for $170

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/

I use Pri-G to stabilize. Have used year old gas with no issues or noticeable performance change.

Last edited:

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I think carrying that much fuel in portable cans is asking for trouble. As an alternative lots of trucks and SUVs have after market long range tanks and auxiliary fuel tanks available. These bring the overall capacity up to 60-100 gallons for $1-$2k. Smaller cars do not have the weight capacity to carry that much fuel.

That said you can not go wrong with the wavian cans and the shaker siphon. Well, except for the crazy covid prices on those cans right now. They went up higher in price than ammo.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    I keep 50 gallons of gas in 5 gallon metal NATO cans and another 60 gallons in my boat. I have a transfer pump to access my boat’s gas incase of emergency. For gas I am storing, I buy only ethanol free gas and add stabilizer. Between my gas equipment and automobiles I keep at least 135 gallons of gas on hand. I rotate my stock to keep it fresh. I live in Bel Air and buy ethanol free gas in Delta Pennsylvania at the Royal Farms on Route 165. Ethanol degrades gasoline over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom