• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What are you using for stabilizer?

You should be using Star Tron instead of Stabil. ;)

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    I use Star Tron fuel stabilizer. I buy it at Jack’s Small Engines in Jarrettsville. I buy all of my equipment from Jack’s. They are a great shop with outstanding customer service.

Last edited:

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Wavian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG6x_BoGqNY

Valpro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjY25s2lbA

I think these are the same company now. I purchased several under the Valpro label years ago and never had an issue. I even dropped one off a shelf, full, from a height of six feet. It barely scraped the paint.

www.roverparts.com has a pack of 4 for sale for $170

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/

I use Pri-G to stabilize. Have used year old gas with no issues or noticeable performance change.

If you can find them elsewhere, I suggest keep looking. Atlantic British is like the Cheaper than Dirt of Land Rover parts. I've owned several Rover project cars and I know a thing or two because I've blown a wad of cash or two. YMMV.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    There seems to be a little over thinking on this topic.

For storage, the question is how much fuel to have on hand. I tend to agree with the military on this. The military goes by issues of fuel. An issue of fuel is how much it would take to fill the fuel tanks of all of the vehicles. If the vehicle has a 78-gallon tank, then an issue of fuel is 78 gallons. More vehicles, more fuel.

So how much to have on hand depends on your vehicle.

I’ll offer an example for how much to have on hand and how to rotate the fuel to keep it fresh.

Say your pickup has a 30-gallon tank. Then one should have 6 five-gallon fuel cans filled and stored in a safe place. Around once a month when the tank in the pickup goes below half full, empty 2-3 fuel cans in the vehicle and place the empty cans in the bed. Then when you top off the vehicle, fill the empty fuel cans and place them back in storage. Repeat the process every month. The result is the fuel on hand is never more than two months old. This method also saves the cost of fuel stabilizers.

The above is for gasoline, diesel fuel is a whole different matter.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Oops. Off topic. This is about a bug out situation. Never mind.

Last edited:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Any recommendation for 5 gallon gas cans that seal tight for storage and a long trip in the back of a CRV so I won’t breathe in the fumes? Plan is to store four cans with stabilizer, which would be more than enough to get me back to middle TN without stopping at a gas station assuming I leave with a full tank. I guess I should make it 8 in case I need to do a complete fill at home in the middle of the night before I split.

Why? Why do you want to go to TN without stopping for gas? You still have to stop and move the gas in your cans into the cars tank.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Why? Why do you want to go to TN without stopping for gas? You still have to stop and move the gas in your cans into the cars tank.

This is the proverbial SHTF scenario. If you’re being literal about it, of course I’d need to stop, but I can think of several scenarios where a gas station is not the place to refill - power out/pumps down, long lines, fighting.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Attachments

• 1C8D0926-EBB4-44FA-B128-7C4374B7C0D2.jpg
      1C8D0926-EBB4-44FA-B128-7C4374B7C0D2.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 278

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Advance auto parts has the 32 oz. bottle of stabil on sale for $9.99

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Oops. Off topic. This is about a bug out situation. Never mind.

Yeah I’ve weighed the hunker down vs hit the road scenarios. While stocking up on food for the lockdown made sense, the choice between DC suburbs and farm land in rural TN (surrounded by well-prepared family) is a no-brainer, assuming making the drive is feasible.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you can find them elsewhere, I suggest keep looking. Atlantic British is like the Cheaper than Dirt of Land Rover parts. I've owned several Rover project cars and I know a thing or two because I've blown a wad of cash or two. YMMV.

A quick search shows that the 4 can deal is a pretty good price. I saw some for over $100 PER CAN.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    2 years ago, i replaced my b.s. adult proof 5 gallon cans with Scepter brand jerry cans, after market spouts and replacement vents. Used them at Cape Lookout to refuel my truck and didn't spill a single drop. Very impressed.

Here are the items numbers/part numbers from Amazon.

Scepter cans item # 05086
    Vents item # GV-Big-YELLOW-5-FBA
    Scepter Solid caps part number GSP-K241
    Scepter spouts part number 43217-1099

Apr 8, 2013
    Anne Arundel Co
    Stabilizer

I was always taught that you don't use stabilizer in sealed gas cans. That would be steel cans that actually seal tightly, not plastic ones. Stabilizer stops oxidation, and in a sealed, full can of gas, there isn't enough oxygen to cause a problem. The ONLY time I've ever had trouble with stored gas is when I did use stabilizer. If you are keeping the gas tank filled in the off season in any piece of equipment, that's the time to use stabilizer.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The Wavian (ValPro) cans are definitely the best out there; they are both NATO and UN certified. The lids seal tight with a locking pin and there are ZERO fumes. You can even lay them down if necessary and they don't leak. I've also purchased NATO contract cans made by a company called UMEGA. They are not as pretty as the Wavian cans and the handles have tack welds instead of a full seem, however functionally they are just as good and only available in olive green.

Some states require that gasoline be stored in RED containers, so you may want to keep that in mind when buying.

DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP CHINESE crap on Amazon and eBay for $30 a can.

Gasoline absolutely degrades with time and temperature change, if you're going to store it for a while I have had good luck using:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=star+tro...+tron+,aps,167&ref=nb_sb_ss_midas-iss-sm_2_10

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Are you considering how much this will weigh?

This is the proverbial SHTF scenario. If you’re being literal about it, of course I’d need to stop, but I can think of several scenarios where a gas station is not the place to refill - power out/pumps down, long lines, fighting.

I get what you are trying to plan for here...

I have been trying to decide what to buy as a bugout vehicle - I'll use what I have for now, but my plan is to purchase a different pickup. This is based upon carrying capacity... I have a similar idea that I would head west and want to have enough fuel to get me to a location in Ohio without stopping for fuel (as in it's not available) if necessary..

Not sure what year your CRV is but the generic number for total load I found is 850 lb total. I have no idea how many and what size passengers you are thinking. The weight of the fuel in the cans would be ~ 141 lb with the safety cans (6 lb per gallon of gas (4 x 5 gal = 20 x 6 = 120 + 21 (weight of cans alone) = 141)) out the gate.. leaving you around 709 lb for the rest of your kit and folks / animals..

When I did my own calculations for kit and folks (plus 2 dogs) - when taking into account tools, spare wheel(s), a rack or topper, etc.. adding enough gas in cans put me close to overloading a smaller truck.. Made me think I need to be shopping for a F250 or Ram 2500 - just to ensure I can carry what we need (or want - which may mean reducing our kit) and not over load the vehicle.. It also means higher fuel consumption..

What are anyone else's thoughts about this? My math could be off - I could be missing something.. I could be over analyzing this..

Weight per gallon - 6 lb

Safety can - 5.25 lb

Nato Steel can - 12 lb

6x20= 120 lb
    4x5.25= 21 lb
    4x12= 48

CRV limits 850

safety cans 141 (709 remaining)
    nato cans 168 (682 remaining)

https://www.hcrv.net/load_limits-1472.html

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The 2020 CRV is 1,106lbs for payload capacity. 850 is pretty low. Hell, my 2005 Mazda 3 it is 849lbs. My 2006 Honda Odyssey is 1369lbs.

Whole family is 575 for my family of 5. Cats and a bunch of food for them is maybe another 80lbs (probably wouldn’t be allowed to turn them loose outside and leave them behind. Just with one vehicle that leaves me roughly 700lbs left to load it up.

Standard camping gear is about 100lbs for it all (tents, cooking gear, sleeping bags, etc).

600lbs. Armor, proper guns, lots of pew-pew to go with is maybe another 250lbs (I am not taking EVERYTHING, but I am assuming it’s all going by road. My human transportation pack and weapons would be stashed separate in the vehicle).

350lbs of spare gas, food, water and maybe some extras like more than a change of clothes per person. That still plenty there. 15 gallons of water, 20 gallons of gas in cans and those extra clothes and food.

It’s not a lifetime supply of stuff, but honestly we’d have stuff in laps and legs on top of bags before exceeding the payload capacity unless lacking a lot of really dense stuff.

And could always take two vehicles with plans to have disposable stuff in the second vehicle, abandon it and consolidate in one vehicle if we had to. That would add about 500-600lbs of stuff we could take.

I still want an older grand Cherokee or similar as a fun project and work vehicle and it would have more than sufficient payload capacity. About as much interior space and easier to tow as well as strap stuff on the outside than the van. Plus about 1,100% better off road performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom