• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    The ATF has said that the Honey Badger is no longer a pistol and must be considered an SBR.

Portion of the email received from Q.

On August 3rd, 2020, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) issued Q® a formal Cease & Desist letter, notifying us that ATF has taken the position that the Q Honey Badger Pistol is a short-barreled rifle (“SBR”) regulated under the National Firearms Act (“NFA”). In response, Q has ceased all production of the Honey Badger Pistol, and submitted a comprehensive letter to ATF and the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) stating why we disagree with this classification[1]. Additionally, we have provided recommendations on how to address the firearms already in circulation. Q is seeking solutions that best protect you, the individual, and Q’s distribution network from falling out of compliance with ATF regulations, and federal law. At this time, Q has not received any definitive guidance from the ATF.

In the meantime, Q encourages possessors of the Honey Badger Pistol to take these proactive measures until a resolution is reached between Q and ATF.

Complete one of the following:

Remove the barreled upper receiver from the lower receiver and dedicate it as a replacement
    for another AR-style pistol or registered short-barreled rifle; or

If you do not possess another AR-style pistol or registered short-barreled rifle, remove the barreled upper receiver from the lower receiver and temporarily transfer it out of your possession by, for example, transferring it to the dominion and control of another individual; and

Once the previous step is completed, you may file an ATF Form 1 to register the lower receiver as a short-barreled rifle. Upon Form 1 approval, the firearm may be reassembled.

Failure to complete option a or option b could result in prosecution and is subject to a $10,000.00 fine and up to 10 years imprisonment.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I always thought it was an SBR. Now I see they offer it with a brace too? :shrug:

This stinks of rotten fishes.

Attachments

• Honey-Badger-by-Q.jpg
      Honey-Badger-by-Q.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 2,396

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Yeah

I always thought it was an SBR. Now I see they offer it with a brace too? :shrug:

That is what I saw. An SB Tactical brace. Now can you sell the same product as two different models- one sbr with a stock and the other as a pistol with a brace?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Saw this posted earlier today from Q, interested to see what the hell is ATF's reasoning. It's a brace made for Q by SB tactical like all their other offerings ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Saw this posted earlier today from Q, interested to see what the hell is ATF's reasoning. It's a brace made for Q by SB tactical like all their other offerings ?
    Something had to put their panties in a wad...

?

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    I wonder what the length of pull is with that brace? It looks longer then the stock on the sbr version.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is the pistol brace they used have an ATF letter by itself?
    My understanding is that most of the braces past SBA2 DO NOT have a determination letter from FATD, and that the manufacturers are relying on the old letters.

I assume Q did not help themselves when the only difference between the SBR and the pistol is a brace and a wink.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    From what I'm reading the issue seems to be that the brace is integrated into the lower therefore it was not designed to be fired without the brace installed as a pistol or it could be that the LOP is greater than 13.5 inches. Either way It seems like arbitrary bs to me and should be challenged.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Is there a limit on brace extension I'm not aware of?

There have been a number of ATF internal memos uncovered (as a result of attempted prosecutions) that the length of pull for a brace cannot exceed a certain amount:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a...-loss-in-ohio-short-barrel-rifle-prosecution/

The magic number right now, may be 13.5" Ask again though in a few months.

There were a couple of problems with the case against Wright, however. First, the ATF has never issued an official public opinion letter stating that AR pistols with such accessories — cheek rests, pistol braces, etc. — must have a length of pull of no more than 13.5 inches to avoid being considered an SBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom