• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I just ordered an Omega 300 suppressor. First 30 cal can. I got a rimfire can a few months ago (as in, in-hand). End cap is removable, rear cap is removable. Even looks like you COULD remove the tube from the welded baffle stack (not recommended, but I've seen a couple people mention they accidently did and then red loctited it back together per SilencerCo's instructions).

Can I shoot coated lead through the can? Not really high volume shooting, but occasionally and then shoot some FMJ/TMJ full power rounds through it?

Possibly for 300BO at some point, but I don't own one. I do have a Sako Forester in .308 I plan to get threaded. It does NOT stabilize really heavy rounds well. I've shot 180gr and it does, but accuracy is around 2.5MOA for a 3 shot group, where as 150-155gr it'll shoot .7-1.2MOA depending on the hunting/match bullet used. Its around a 12.3:1 twist barrel IIRC (made in the 80s).

But I have it in my head that I could load up some 155gr FP coated lead bullets for cheap subsonic plinking with a can on. Going to be a lot quieter than a 300BO AR (longer barrel, no action cycling). Not sure I'll ever own a 300BO rifle (okay, I might). I probably will own a 300BO AR upper eventually. Really I am looking at 100yd or less plinking fun. Having some fun reloading on the easy. Probably some training for my kids with light recoil, but full size, center fire rifle (without the can on). Maybe use it to smack a ground hog every once in a blue moon (probably just use my 10/22 with can, which is half of why I got the rimfire can!)

I guess it is a stupid question as people shoot subs through such cans all the time, but this is new to me.

Bad idea? No issues? Run a few supers through it every once in awhile? Only use coated? Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The outer tube is basically rocksetted to the core, so removal is kind of a pain. Lots of people do as you are describing. You are going to get lead build up over time. Supersonic rounds will blow a lot of gunk out of your can, but they won’t be able to get all the lead deposits out. How you clean the can up is going to depend on what you’re comfortable doing. If you’ve got hazardous waste disposal available in your area you can do the dip, though that may break the outer jacket loose from the core as well. If you fill the can up with a lot of gunk, Silencerco will likely take it back on warranty, but then you’re out a can for a week or two. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’s your suppressor and you should enjoy it how you want. Just read up on what others with that can are doing and see what did and didn’t work for them.

When you eventually get the bug to buy another suppressor, consider something with removable baffles like the Griffin Paladin, Optimus, or Bushwhacker 46. Then you can shoot unjacketed lead to your heart’s content, pull the baffles, and wet tumble with steel pins to clean them.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I do not know if the guy still does it but online I found a site where the guy takes your sealed can and converts it to user servicable.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I do not know if the guy still does it but online I found a site where the guy takes your sealed can and converts it to user servicable.

Jailbreaking I believe is the term. Stalking Rhino is who your looking for

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Bushwhacker 46, I have not seen that, looks nice and easy. I also have lead fear for my suppressors. Long term when I have enough time to get into casting all my own hunting and plinking ammo the plan is to powder coat everything like Full.Lead.Taco on youtube.

I shot around 50 uncoated lubed cast 300blk and 45-70 though my silencerco hybrid at 900-1200fps just playing around with loads vs volume one weekend and didnt notice any remarkable additional build up inside. Both guns were break barrel single shots. I bought the bullets from a small time guy online and I have no idea what alloy they were. I assume they were range lead and tire weights.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I shoot Missouri Bullet Company 300 Blackout rounds through my AAC 762SD with no noticeable buildup. I usually shoot some full power 308 in between to shock it out. All works well.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So coated should be just great for it. Also poking around, looks like Berry’s makes a plated 150gr FP .308 for the .30-30 that would probably work great as a subsonic plinker for my .308 bolt gun. Out of stock everywhere of course. Not in a huge hurry to work up a load tomorrow. I’ve got a few months of waiting ahead of me now.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    So coated should be just great for it. Also poking around, looks like Berry’s makes a plated 150gr FP .308 for the .30-30 that would probably work great as a subsonic plinker for my .308 bolt gun. Out of stock everywhere of course. Not in a huge hurry to work up a load tomorrow. I’ve got a few months of waiting ahead of me now.

I don’t want to say it is totally fine shooting coated through a can. Some of the recovered hi-tek coated MBC bullets from the berm have rifle engraving with exposed lead. Small exposure but still exposure. To be totally safe, I would use the plated Berrys bullets at minimum.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I wouldn’t Jailbreak a silencerco can unless you want to give up a really good lifetime warranty for small convenience.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I used to load subsonic 300blk with Missouri coated bullets. I found that my optimus was getting a decent amount of buildup in it. Luckily it’s easy to disassemble the can assuming it was done every 250 rounds or so. If found that after 500 or so it was incredibly hard to get the baffles out. The buildup was not straight lead, I think it was a combo of the lead and the coating material. It was VERY hard to clean the tube out.

I switched to plated bullets and only get carbon buildup now which is very easy to clean out with a brush. I can shoot well over 500 rounds through the can and bump the baffles out with no problem.

My personal recommendation is to stick to plated bullets but if you want to shoot coated plan to clean it out more often and spend a lot of time with a pipe cleaning brush to get the lead and coating material out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I used to load subsonic 300blk with Missouri coated bullets. I found that my optimus was getting a decent amount of buildup in it. Luckily it’s easy to disassemble the can assuming it was done every 250 rounds or so. If found that after 500 or so it was incredibly hard to get the baffles out. The buildup was not straight lead, I think it was a combo of the lead and the coating material. It was VERY hard to clean the tube out.

I switched to plated bullets and only get carbon buildup now which is very easy to clean out with a brush. I can shoot well over 500 rounds through the can and bump the baffles out with no problem.

My personal recommendation is to stick to plated bullets but if you want to shoot coated plan to clean it out more often and spend a lot of time with a pipe cleaning brush to get the lead and coating material out.

Thanks! Plated it is then. It’s not like I’ll be consuming tens of thousands of rounds a year. I’d be surprised if I load and run more than 300-400.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    hmmm

Interesting. Thanks for this. So the coating helps the barrel but fooks the can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom