• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Funny posting about this considering the ATF is pushing that ban right now. I'm guessing these guns will dry up over the next couple days.
    I think they dried up in February or March, to be honest. Best bet is to subscribe to circle 10 AK, Atlantic firearms, PSA (if they ship to MD) etc to get in stock notifications, and buy immediately. Atlantic Firearms is Maryland based and really good people. I think they are an IP on here too.

But seriously, if you want one you need to buy it when you get the in stock notification. Everything is selling out in minutes now.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I think they dried up in February or March, to be honest. Best bet is to subscribe to circle 10 AK, Atlantic firearms, PSA (if they ship to MD) etc to get in stock notifications, and buy immediately. Atlantic Firearms is Maryland based and really good people. I think they are an IP on here too.

But seriously, if you want one you need to buy it when you get the in stock notification. Everything is selling out in minutes now.
    Are all of these considered imports? I'm trying to figure out the probability they'll be unobtainium in 2021 (when my budget would naturally catch up). I'm stretched a little thin.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You get what you pay for, for the most part. Of those three if I had to choose one, I would go with a PSA product for their lifetime warranty. Personally I would not buy any of them. Maybe if I already had a bunch of 7.62x39 AR Mags laying around.

You can bankrupt yourself buying junk and then paying to fix or replace it just as easily as you can by spending money you don’t have on expensive firearms. I’d suggest waiting until you have the money to purchase a good quality firearm, selling something else to fund the purchase of the firearm you actually want, or admitting to yourself that you probably don’t need another gun and moving on with life.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    You get what you pay for, for the most part. Of those three if I had to choose one, I would go with a PSA product for their lifetime warranty. Personally I would not buy any of them. Maybe if I already had a bunch of 7.62x39 AR Mags laying around.

You can bankrupt yourself buying junk and then paying to fix or replace it just as easily as you can by spending money you don’t have on expensive firearms. I’d suggest waiting until you have the money to purchase a good quality firearm, selling something else to fund the purchase of the firearm you actually want, or admitting to yourself that you probably don’t need another gun and moving on with life.
    Thanks. I was getting close to buying the bear creek arsenal upper. Sure would be nice to have another way to send 7.62x39 downrange

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Not sure if someone mentioned already but I believe you cant sbr a pistol if a rifle version already exists. For instance you cant sbr arsenal sam7 pistol. That's my understanding of this state's convoluted laws. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me.

Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    Not sure if someone mentioned already but I believe you cant sbr a pistol if a rifle version already exists. For instance you cant sbr arsenal sam7 pistol. That's my understanding of this state's convoluted laws. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me.

I don't think that's true but maybe someone else can chime in I'm pretty sure you can sbr an arsenal sam7k.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC

Haven't heard of that (which doesn't mean much...) however, the Fed rule that comes to mind is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back, assuming it wasn't an SBR: Contender carbine conversion rule. When you form 1 (or 2 for a SOT) a "new" firearm is being manufactured & what its original components are not a factor. Maybe there's something about if the SBR was removed from the registry there might be an issue with now having and transferring a regulated weapon?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Haven't heard of that (which doesn't mean much...) however, the Fed rule that comes to mind is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back, assuming it wasn't an SBR: Contender carbine conversion rule. When you form 1 (or 2 for a SOT) a "new" firearm is being manufactured & what its original components are not a factor. Maybe there's something about if the SBR was removed from the registry there might be an issue with now having and transferring a regulated weapon?

Agreed, never heard of this. If it's on the handgun roster it can be SBRed. You can also buy as an SBR (form 4).

Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    Not to bring up an old thread but I was at the gun store in Maryland today they had serval AK pistols on the wall and a guy was looking at the AK pistols and how he wanted one but wanted to SBR it so he could get a stock and both employees said AK in 7.62 were illegal to SBR in Maryland and I spoke up and said I had one form 1 approved and both employees said they wouldn't own one even if they were form 1 approved I just kinda rolled my eyes I don't understand why they would feel they are banned in SBR form MSP has said they are not and would the ATF approve anything that's banned. And it's not the only time I have herd someone claim the AK sbr is banned. If it's on the Pistol roster it's legal to SBR as long as over 29 and the feature test. MSP considers anything under 16 inch barrel to be a pistol regardless correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not to bring up an old thread but I was at the gun store in Maryland today they had serval AK pistols on the wall and a guy was looking at the AK pistols and how he wanted one but wanted to SBR it so he could get a stock and both employees said AK in 7.62 were illegal to SBR in Maryland and I spoke up and said I had one form 1 approved and both employees said they wouldn't own one even if they were form 1 approved I just kinda rolled my eyes I don't understand why they would feel they are banned in SBR form MSP has said they are not and would the ATF approve anything that's banned. And it's not the only time I have herd someone claim the AK sbr is banned. If it's on the Pistol roster it's legal to SBR as long as over 29 and the feature test. MSP considers anything under 16 inch barrel to be a pistol regardless correct?

Correct-a-mundo(says The Fonz)! :thumbsup:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They are legal (IMHO), but the ATF may deny your form 1 if they have the same model name as a rifle on the banned list.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    2nd it is a factory sbr. I believe you can have sbr AKs in any caliber due to the nfa tax stamp.

IANAL - but I believe SBRs are not treated as copies of banned rifles so the "evil features" rule applies instead. For example, you can't have a folding stock and a suppressor on an SBR. A collapsible stock is not considered a folding stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom