• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Can legally owned and registered (on a 4473) and regulated firearms/bare receivers be given to or transferred to a family member upon my death? My sister is the executor.

What about bolt rifles that transferred to me as long guns?

What about a home build?

Should they be put on a trust to streamline transfer? In a will?

How about my dads old 1896 Gustav Mauser that was bought in 1963 out of a Popular Mechanics magazine for $29.00? Still have the ad for that...

Any help is appreciated.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, you can inherit banned/regulated firearms. Trust or will would work.

Anything not regulated (handguns, etc.) can just be handed over. Keep those off the books.

Yes, you can inherit banned firearms. Trust or will would work.

Anything not regulated (handguns, etc.) can just be handed over. Keep those off the books.

Banned firearms that were legally purchased and grandfathered would best be spelled out by: make, model, SN and who you are willing them to.
    As Teratos stated above, bolt rifles, shotguns, etc. are best kept off the books. Once you pass away they are gone from all state and federal records.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Yes, you can inherit banned/regulated firearms. Trust or will would work.

So anything not regulated, shotguns, Mauser, bolts, C&R handguns/rifles just pass over. Got it.

So a Glock .45 isn't a regulated firearm, just a registered firearm, when purchased and passes over via will or trust.

How about home builds like AR's and AK's?

Say a home built AR Hvy barrel, vs pencil? Built before the Md. fsa?

And AK's, legal length, std barrel built before the Md. fsa?

Thanks Again. Just trying to make my sister less confused here...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So anything not regulated, shotguns, Mauser, bolts, C&R handguns/rifles just pass over. Got it.

So a Glock .45 isn't a regulated firearm, just a registered firearm, when purchased and passes over via will or trust.

How about home builds like AR's and AK's?

Say a home built AR Hvy barrel, vs pencil? Built before the Md. fsa?

And AK's, legal length, std barrel built before the Md. fsa?

Thanks Again. Just trying to make my sister less confused here...

Handguns are regulated (not banned). They should go in the will/trust. The inheritor will need to alert MSP to stay in compliance with regulations. IIRC there is no charge for that transfer. Any pre-'13 now banned configuration needs to go into the will and though MSP as the handguns do. The HBAR AR can be handed over, those are still not regulated in MD. The home built can be transferred, but I am honestly not sure what documentation you need for that....

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Handguns are regulated (not banned). They should go in the will/trust. The inheritor will need to alert MSP to stay in compliance with regulations. IIRC there is no charge for that transfer. Any pre-'13 now banned configuration needs to go into the will and though MSP as the handguns do. The HBAR AR can be handed over, those are still not regulated in MD. The home built can be transferred, but I am honestly not sure what documentation you need for that....
    Thanks everyone, Teratos,

Guess for the AK you could just sell parts off and destroy the receiver to keep it simple.

Great, crystal clear MD. laws...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks everyone, Teratos,

Guess for the AK you could just sell parts off and destroy the receiver to keep it simple.

Great, crystal clear MD. laws...

The AK can be transferred, the problem is proving it is pre-13. If you are sure you want to keep the home builds, it might be a good idea to serialize them and document when you built them. Before people get sand in the manginas, serializing 80 percents does not mean you are registering them. No harm if only YOU know the serial number.

Perhaps your sister built them before 2013, and you only think you built them?

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    The AK can be transferred, the problem is proving it is pre-13. If you are sure you want to keep the home builds, it might be a good idea to serialize them and document when you built them. Before people get sand in the manginas, serializing 80 percents does not mean you are registering them. No harm if only YOU know the serial number.

Perhaps your sister built them before 2013, and you only think you built them?

Actually it was her 2 sons.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Actually it was her 2 sons.

Ah, so they build them before 2013? :tinfoil:

They can still inherit them, but it might be tough to prove when they were built. I would serialize them (FUMD001), and have a note I wrote notarized stating the build date. Someone else may be along with a better option.

saln

Dec 28, 2008
    Ah, so they build them before 2013? :tinfoil:

They can still inherit them, but it might be tough to prove when they were built. I would serialize them (FUMD001), and have a note I wrote notarized stating the build date. Someone else may be along with a better option.

Yes, they said they would never want an AK but when Md. said you couldn't have one anymore, they did the most logical thing months in advance.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, they said they would never want an AK but when Md. said you couldn't have one anymore, they did the most logical thing months in advance.

I did that, too. Never wanted an AK. MD said I couldn't have one after October 1, 2013. I got one before that.....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did that, too. Never wanted an AK. MD said I couldn't have one after October 1, 2013. I got one before that.....

Never wanted one, still don't want one, never got one.

But there were a couple of Sept 2013 purchases. But not enough. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom