• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The way I always understood the law, if your deer dies on someone else's property, you are required to ask permission from that land owner or manager to enter and retrieve your query. They have the right to refuse your request.
    If you animal dies on park land,, you are required to notify the controlling authority before entering and follow their instructions, whether that is to proceed or await the presence of an official.

Always remember, it's not yours until you put your tag on it. Otherwise, the deer is up for grabs by anyone, who gets there first.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The way I always understood the law, if your deer dies on someone else's property, you are required to ask permission from that land owner or manager to enter and retrieve your query. They have the right to refuse your request.
    If you animal dies on park land,, you are required to notify the controlling authority before entering and follow their instructions, whether that is to proceed or await the presence of an official.

Latest DNR regs are now requiring written permission for accessing private property in the course of a hunt or retrieval at all. the book even comes with a handy-dandy card to copy and have them fill out so you have a record. My understanding is that the rise in suburban and urban hunting has increased calls to places like MCPD and the DNR police for folks tracking across back yards and HOA land which is why they're now requiring the written permission slip.

If I remember correctly from the hunter safety field day class, if you are unable to locate or contact the landowner, the DNR police or other law enforcement may assist you in removing the expired animal from the property in question though you're still not allowed on the land.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Latest DNR regs are now requiring written permission for accessing private property in the course of a hunt or retrieval at all. the book even comes with a handy-dandy card to copy and have them fill out so you have a record. My understanding is that the rise in suburban and urban hunting has increased calls to places like MCPD and the DNR police for folks tracking across back yards and HOA land which is why they're now requiring the written permission slip.

If I remember correctly from the hunter safety field day class, if you are unable to locate or contact the landowner, the DNR police or other law enforcement may assist you in removing the expired animal from the property in question though you're still not allowed on the land.
    That's good to know. :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Always remember, it's not yours until you put your tag on it. Otherwise, the deer is up for grabs by anyone, who gets there first.

Can you cite COMAR or a court case for that? Not saying you are wrong, I’ve never seen it for Maryland, but many states it is whomever killed it. Full stop. Not whomever gets there first or whomever’s land it dies on. If two hunters have both shot at the deer it’s on the game warden to determine who fired the mortal shot.

I really don’t know for a Maryland, but it would shock me if it is “whomever tags it first”. There might be some practical side to that, but I’d be shocked if that is law, regulation or legal precedent.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Well land owner seems to trump hunter in MD. They can refuse you access and it instantly becomes their deer. Don't need a hunting license on your own property either AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom