• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Has anyone ever done this yearly managed hunt? How does it work?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I haven't done it but I live next door.

The Park is closed to the public during the hunt.
    You fill out a form and they have a drawing to see who gets the limited number of spots. Too late for this season.
    It is shotgun only.
    You have to pass a marksmanship qualification hit a paper plate three times out of five.
    The day of the hunt you show up early for a briefing when they have another lottery to see who gets a chance at a buck.
    They then take you to your assigned spot where you must remain.
    They then drive the deer toward the various hunting spots.
    If you get one they come pick it up and haul it to the processing station where it is checked for chronic wasting disease and volunteers gut and butcher it for you.
    After the hunt you pick up your deer meat and go home.
    I don't believe the deer on a managed hunt count toward your bag limit for regular hunting.

Here is a link:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/managed-deer-hunting-programs/

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    I haven't done it but I live next door.

The Park is closed to the public during the hunt.
    You fill out a form and they have a drawing to see who gets the limited number of spots. Too late for this season.
    It is shotgun only.
    You have to pass a marksmanship qualification hit a paper plate three times out of five.
    The day of the hunt you show up early for a briefing when they have another lottery to see who gets a chance at a buck.
    They then take you to your assigned spot where you must remain.
    They then drive the deer toward the various hunting spots.
    If you get one they come pick it up and haul it to the processing station where it is checked for chronic wasting disease and volunteers gut and butcher it for you.
    After the hunt you pick up your deer meat and go home.
    I don't believe the deer on a managed hunt count toward your bag limit for regular hunting.

Here is a link:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/managed-deer-hunting-programs/

I hunted the Soldiers Delight, Gunpowder and Fair hill managed hunts before. The above info is good, except I never had them butcher my deer only haul and gut them. The kills don't count on your license.

I'm an alternate for Fair Hill this year.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Most above is good info. I would add-

When taken to spot, you are placed in specific spot and shown flags to left and right. That is your shooting zone. DO NOT MOVE from spot. DO NOT shoot deer outside of zone as volunteers are walking around to drive deer to you.

Deer are picked up, taken to be gutted, and you pick up carcass(es) when you are finished for the day. You get valid tags, but they do NOT count toward normal bag limits.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Is the information above applicable to Seneca Creek/Schaeffer Farm lottery for the 1st day of firearm season?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I did the fair hill hunt about 7 years ago. The spot they put my at was a 360 degree kill zone. There were MANY deer there so bagged four does by about 9-10 am and was pulled out. Kept one for my freezer and shared the other three with hunters that didn't get a shot and FHFH. Fun mtn. biking trails there also.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I hunted the Soldiers Delight, Gunpowder and Fair hill managed hunts before. The above info is good, except I never had them butcher my deer only haul and gut them. The kills don't count on your license.

I'm an alternate for Fair Hill this year.

So is it from the ground or do you bring a treestand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom