• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I don’t have anything against them, just not an interest in one. Additionally just another list to get put on with your stamp. If you got time to get your rifle and take up a defense position like you should, you have time to put ear plugs in. If your worried about home invasions at any moment, harden your castle.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I don’t have anything against them, just not an interest in one. Additionally just another list to get put on with your stamp. If you got time to get your rifle and take up a defense position like you should, you have time to put ear plugs in. If your worried about home invasions at any moment, harden your castle.

This has been my position.

In fact I keep hearing protection on top of the rifle so I have to grab both, specifically for this reason.

I'm not going to go clearing the house.

Hearing protection in your house is a bad idea IMO. you want to be able to hear every noise and creek on the floor so you know where any intruders are.

I have shot an AR inside a house before without hearing protection(dont ask), couldnt hear for a few seconds after the shots but was completely fine after that.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

Attachments

• C2CB620F-3C1B-46F2-94C6-50322D28A3CA.jpeg
      C2CB620F-3C1B-46F2-94C6-50322D28A3CA.jpeg
      39.9 KB · Views: 355

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hearing protection in your house is a bad idea IMO. you want to be able to hear every noise and creek on the floor so you know where any intruders are.

I have shot an AR inside a house before without hearing protection(dont ask), couldnt hear for a few seconds after the shots but was completely fine after that.

Get electronic muffs.

Not only allow you to hear normal sounds, but even will amplify sounds.

But prevents hearing damage from the LOUD sounds.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's part of a system, the best of modern defensive tech, and can make a rifle stupid easy and comfortable to shoot fast and accurately. A full length rifle can be unwieldy in close quarters, especially if you hang a can off the end of it. Shorter rifles are easier to handle, but generally increase flash/noise well beyond the point it is painful and disorienting. Running a short can can usually drop the muzzle blast down to hearing safe levels, or close enough to it that it's a lot easier to shoot, reducing flash and recoil also helps. It makes practice especially at indoor ranges much safer and more pleasant, and when properly set up can be reliable with or without the suppressor. If you need a rifle, you need it fast, probably won't have time to deal with other types of ear-pro, a suppressor is really the only practical way to preserve your hearing during home defense, and about the only way to hear responding officers, additional bad guys, or other family members afterwards if you do need to shoot.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Years ago, I had a reality check when the home alarm went off in the middle of the night. Thank the lord nothing transpired however I learned a sh_t load that night and as a result my entire playbook changed. Chances are, whatever transpires will be unexpected and you'll be disoriented and jolted with adrenaline. And that's not including other distractions (wife/kids/pets) in the house. Keeping things simple is paramount and therefore I've situated upon a SBR with suppressor and light. In the middle of the night, the last thing your thinking about is "gearing up". It's more like grab and go - identify the situation. That said, I do have electronic muffs next to my HD rifle but unless the threat is known - its a distraction.

And not like it matters - but my second recommendation/opinion is to take a defensive posture at least initially.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    And not like it matters - but my second recommendation/opinion is to take a defensive posture at least initially.

Initially and continually

In a home defense situation there are very few reasons to leave a defensive position

The only one I can think of off hand is because an intruder has already confronted a family member elsewhere in the house and that family member is in immediate danger

But when everyone is asleep upstairs.....stay defensive. Stay quiet. Stay hidden. And make sure nothing comes up those stairs. Whatever happens in the living room isn't worth it

Even if you know you can get the drop on an intruder...don't. If bullet start flying they can go through walls and ceilings and mattresses with kids sleeping on them

Avoiding a gun fight should be your top priority. You do not want rounds discharging in a house where your family is.

Your defensive position should be aimed at a safe backstop where you missing won't hurt anyone elsewhere in the house, and your own backstop should be safe from the intruder missing and hitting anyone behind you

This position should be easy to get to. It should be a choke point between the intruder and your family so they have to go through you to get to your family. And it should be a dark area with a view of a lit area

Find that place in your house. And stay there. Don't leave it unless a family member is being attacked somewhere else in the house.

(Obviously this is for that bump in the middle of the night situation. It doesn't work for that 8pm while everyone is awake down stairs and someone is trying to kick the door in scenario...but that is much less likely to happen)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It sure is nice to own and use high power firearms that make about as much noise as an unsuppressed .22lr. They give you more options and are essentially an extra layer of ear pro that you carry around on your firearms.

To answer the OP’s question, I guess no one needs a suppressor. Then again about 100-120 years ago people said no one needs air conditioning, refrigeration, or electricity. 30 years ago no one needed a computer. Hell I don’t need a pellet smoker that I can control from an app on my phone, but it sure takes the stress out of smoking a pork shoulder. The question isn’t do you need one, but do you want one? If not, don’t get one. It’s your hearing, do what you want with it. I tend to buy a suppressor for any weapon that I want to use outside of a static range session.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I live on 20 ac zoned AG, I can legally shoot on it. But I have a new neighborhood with neighbors who I get along with and we respect each other.
    Shooting .22 CeeBee is no problem, but anything more is to much noise IMO.
    Looking into a .22 can as I have multiple threaded .22 long guns and pistols.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    So you can shoot and have bacon as a snack without leaving the range...

Attachments

• 268F619300000578-0-image-a-37_1426150549841.jpg
      268F619300000578-0-image-a-37_1426150549841.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 250

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Alright MDS, why do I need a suppressor for a 5.56 home defense rifle?

Convince me.

I have read every online article about the subject. Most boil down to "Because they are amazeballs and you can stick it to the ATF by paying them to approve you to have one!"

I value the real world opinions of MDS over the opinions of bloggers who desperately need content for their websites.

What does a suppressor add to my life?

This has been discussed before. America is not the land of needs. If you want one get it because you want one. Make up your own mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom