• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Stump pulled & paving job

I need a tree stump pulled and a small area of grass next to my asphalt driveway paved. It's about 12'x 20' or so. The rest of my driveway is about 2 years old and in great shape.
    Anyone here do one or both of these? I've had a quote a while back and it was absurd. I'd rather have a MDS guy take my money!

I'm in Pasadena.

This is the area I'm needing paved.
    0e59ededb296426c0d9b84298ef946e6.jpg

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Stump grinding is crazy expensive. Rent a grinder from HD and do it yourself.
    I dug mine up and wrapped a chain around it and ripped it out with the winch on my Jeep.
    took 2 hours to dig it up but worth it. Buy some asphalt millings and use them for the extra pad.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Check with Jones of Annapolis - hopefully the job isn't too small for them. 410-224-2245

They can grub out the stump, then prep and pave.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Stump grinding is crazy expensive. Rent a grinder from HD and do it yourself.
    I dug mine up and wrapped a chain around it and ripped it out with the winch on my Jeep.
    took 2 hours to dig it up but worth it. Buy some asphalt millings and use them for the extra pad.

It's a big crepe myrtle stump and it's safe to assume roots are under my driveway. I'm worried pulling it out will damage my driveway edge.

I found a sweet video of using a tire to pull out a stump and want to give it a try. Just don't want to damage a perfectly good driveway in the process.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I need a tree stump pulled and a small area of grass next to my asphalt driveway paved. It's about 12'x 20' or so. The rest of my driveway is about 2 years old and in great shape.
    Anyone here do one or both of these? I've had a quote a while back and it was absurd. I'd rather have a MDS guy take my money!

I'm in Pasadena.

This is the area I'm needing paved.
    0e59ededb296426c0d9b84298ef946e6.jpg

Stumpologist. Local guy, retired shop teacher.

Any grinding for a while has been handled by tree company, Arundel Tree Service. See if their grinder guy or crew has an opening. They are out of Pasadena.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Economy Stump is also a local guy, and he usually responds pretty quickly. Greg 443-538-4369.

Keep in mind - Even after grinding the stump down as far as possible, there will still be some of the stump remaining and slowly rotting away down there. This can cause a subsidence issue beneath the new pavement over the next few years.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    We just had our existing pad enlarged and driveway capped. The "mobilization" fixed costs are what is going to drive up the price for such a small area, as the cost to get the equipment and crew out there will be the same as if they were doing a 100ft driveway. We had several quotes to only enlarge our pad by about twice the area you are look for and all three were about $5300. If I remember correctly it was for 8" of stone and 4" of asphalt.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    We just had our existing pad enlarged and driveway capped. The "mobilization" fixed costs are what is going to drive up the price for such a small area, as the cost to get the equipment and crew out there will be the same as if they were doing a 100ft driveway. We had several quotes to only enlarge our pad by about twice the area you are look for and all three were about $5300. If I remember correctly it was for 8" of stone and 4" of asphalt.

If it's half that, I might as well just blacktop my whole front yard. Then at least I'll have less to mow.

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    We do seal. We are usually about 15 percent more than the material cost you buy. We are using a latex based product from sealmaster. It is what we use for our commercial customers.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Keep in mind - Even after grinding the stump down as far as possible, there will still be some of the stump remaining and slowly rotting away down there. This can cause a subsidence issue beneath the new pavement over the next few years.
    100%

This is exactly why I suggested above that the stump be grubbed out. Not sure why we decided grinding was a good idea in this application.

Stump grinders are for yards, not for something that requires good soil bearing capacity.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Don’t forget to call Miss Utility... pretty good chance some roots may be tangled up in something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom