• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I inherited several of these bullets from my now deceased father in law. They are 357 magnum and too long to fit in a revolver. They work great in a lever action though.

He only used two kinds of powder (bullseye and Alliant 2400). I only have 2 loaded rounds left so COULD shoot them thru a chronograph to get more info on how fast etc etc but I wanted to know if this bullet is even still around anymore.

Its 125gr lead tip flat based bullet, I think. I need to reweigh it. I'm not even sure it was originally made for 357 magnum.

Anyone have an idea what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_2424.jpg
      IMG_2424.jpg
      111.3 KB · Views: 305
    Last edited:

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    35 caliber rifle bullet for 35 Whelan, 35 Remington, 357 Maximum, etc. probably from Speer (my guess off of how it looks). I used to shoot them from my 35 Remington Contender barrel and my 357 Maximum Contender barrel. No harm in shooting them from a 357 magnum although, as you pointed out, they won’t fit most cylinders.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Do not load them in a mag tube in a lever action even if they fit and cycle , you could cause a chain fire from the recoil .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    35 caliber rifle bullet for 35 Whelan, 35 Remington, 357 Maximum, etc. probably from Speer (my guess off of how it looks). I used to shoot them from my 35 Remington Contender barrel and my 357 Maximum Contender barrel. No harm in shooting them from a 357 magnum although, as you pointed out, they won’t fit most cylinders.

Beat me to it.
    Remington made core lockt ammo with a 358 bullet too. Not sure to what extent an longer.

One time I bought two boxes of 200g 35 rem ammo without looking at it for my Marlin rifle and it was loaded with pSPs:sad20:
    Lucky I caught it before leaving the parking lot.
    Im not to awful sure if they still make many 200g core lockt soft points any longer for a 35 Rem.
    Never see it for sale in stores anymore.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    thanks all. valid concerns also. When shooting them in tube rifle, i put 2 in. cycled one into chamber then put in the other one. no way for tube excitement. There was a 35 remington in the collection of his brother in law, my uncle. He also had a 357 carbine. i bet they traded bullets or something @ some point.

Thanks on the speer/hornady info. I haven't been able to find anything but i'll keep looking. it might be they just dont make them any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom