• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I just hate throwing out oily rags, or carbon impregnated, or the black from wiping off polish. My Henrys are all brass receivers and when you get done cleaning washing the Micro fiber cloths in the washer do not cut it.

Well my grandma use to use Fels-Naptha soap as a pre treatment for her laundry and even got out grease from everything. So I used it on my rags scrubbed them out by hand and they are good as new.

Attachments

• fels naptha soap.jpg
      fels naptha soap.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 406
    • Before.jpg
      Before.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 418
    • AFTER.jpg
      AFTER.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 417

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks for the tip. I have a pile of rags I won't throw out either. Now I have something to try on them.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I guess the above tips are ok if you are just washing the old microfiber towels in a laundry/slop sink.

No way I would put those rags in my laundry machine along with all of the Victoria Secret and other unmentionables really really hot women wear, along with garters, stocking, heels, etc... that they wear around the house for comfort..

I have a feeling those rags would make the other stuff smell funny!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Oxiclean.

I wash microfibers that are used on the boat to clean fish, bait, oil, grease, the head, you name it in the washing machine with Oxiclean. Same goes for rags and microfibers used to clean guns and flat-top grill.

The key is to do it when the wife isn't around, run them through two cycles and then I throw in a couple clean, older towels and run it a third time to make sure the washing machine itself is clean.

Been doing this for years with no ill effects. Just don't get caught by the wife.

FWIW - its a no thrills, top load Speed Queen.

To the gentleman who asked where to buy them - it's hard to beat Amazon's bulk price. For home and the boat I buy them by the hundred and throw them away when they are too nasty. They don't go bad.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I just hate throwing out oily rags, or carbon impregnated, or the black from wiping off polish. My Henrys are all brass receivers and when you get done cleaning washing the Micro fiber cloths in the washer do not cut it.

Well my grandma use to use Fels-Naptha soap as a pre treatment for her laundry and even got out grease from everything. So I used it on my rags scrubbed them out by hand and they are good as new.

They always have so much knowledge to pass along. :party29:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    ****I guess the above tips are ok if you are just washing the old microfiber towels in a laundry/slop sink.

No way I would put those rags in my laundry machine along with all of the Victoria Secret and other unmentionables really really hot women wear, along with garters, stocking, heels, etc... that they wear around the house for comfort..

I have a feeling those rags would make the other stuff smell funny!

Don’t want your gun rags smelling.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Fels-naphtha also does an admirable job washing off the oils from poison ivy and poison oak.

It 'may' be better than nothing but not unless you wash the area with the soap quickly after exposure. The irritant in the Toxicdendron spp. is Urushiol. This oily substance is rapidly absorbed through the skin. Once absorbed it is next to impossible to wash off. My parents said the same thing but I still got many a case of 'the itch' even after washing with Fels-Naptha.
    Can't hurt, but don't go pulling it up for hours by the roots thinking I'll just wash it off after I'm done.
    I actually synthesized the Urushiol as a senior, for a pharmacognosy class project. Nasty stuff when concentrated. :innocent0

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I'm a big fan of simple green. I'll usually do one cycle on HOT and another on WARM. Simple Green has a very effective masking scent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom