• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    If passed as is they can confiscate, penalize, destroy, transfer your wealth to attorneys, etc etc looong before SCOTUS even knows. Heck, could be 12 additional Judges by then, just a thought.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay I have to ask. Sorry I post rarely here.

Why would not model gun1 work for all ar's, as long as they are different ser#s it should be legal.

Then say model pistol for all pistols, with different ser#s. Heck you could do gun1 for ar's, gun2 for pistols.

Since we/you would be the maker we can decide on the model number/name.

Or have a little fun fmsp1 as model for ars, then fmsp2 for pistols. This should keep engraving costs down as there is less changes to be made, and they are simple changes.

I was just doing a little reading on laser engravers, they are not cheap but we know that. But I was reading where a small less powerful laser can burn away nail polish, then do chemical engraving. Might be a small short term business, ie buy a small laser then just have people pay to use it. They can do the chem etch at home. Not to make money but just to offset the cost of the laser/computer set up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Question I have is, how many times since 1968 has having a serial number on a firearm actually done anything for the police in a case?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Question I have is, how many times since 1968 has having a serial number on a firearm actually done anything for the police in a case?

They just haven't done it right.
    You have to say "Enhance" a lot while using the computer and be ready to put on your glasses.

Attachments

• 2078832_700b.jpg
      2078832_700b.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 408

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Nailed a lot of people on straw purchases or illegal transfers. Probably a tiny number of legitimate gun owners who discarded the gun after the crime. Numbers, no idea. I do know it has solved at least some crimes (or caught others secondary to the crime itself).

Not super often as most guns used in crime are stolen.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not sure what those have to do with the bill.

Police are likely going to ask for a copy of that record when you report it stolen, so if it turns up they can for sure say if a handgun turns up engraved "9x19 Jim Smith Elkridge MD MDSPFU01" that it is the Jim Smith who reported it stolen. And according to his record he said he built it back in July of 2018.

If everything is destroyed, what does an FFL do now? I don't see MSP or a prosecutor having any interest in going after someone because they had a provable house fire and records were destroyed. Legally, I don't know. Maybe you could recreate it based on memory. Again, I think the key thing is they are most interested in you keeping a record of what was engraved on the gun. If the gun is destroyed, I don't think they care if the record is destroyed also.

See above for Tornado.

On the feds, how is that suddenly a concern? I only say that because it would have to be a federal law requiring that. The state can't mandate you provide information to the feds that the feds can't legally accept. If a federal law mandates registration of guns (home made or all) then the fact that a MD law required your gun to be engraved and you keep a record doesn't change the fact that the feds are now requiring registration.

Oh no, the state didn't make me engrave the gun and keep a record. Sorry ATF, nothing to turn in.

Your last is a non-issue as it relates to this law. If the state requires this information to be provided to MSP later, that new bill could just require record creation at that point if this bill never comes to be. Mandatory registration is mandatory registration. The only time it would make a difference is if you were deciding to not comply with mandatory registration and then only if someone else was the record keeper already.

I charitably want to think MGA's reasoning (and likely some of the LEAs) is that look, legitimate owners should have no problems putting their identifying information on their gun. If they aren't doing it, well then they are the ones making guns for the criminals. If we are catching guys with guns that don't have identifying information on it, well they were obviously creating or getting someone to make guns for them with criminal intent.

For someone making guns for someone else, well ATF doesn't say it is illegal. It just can't be WHY I am making a gun. It has to be for me. But a lot of ATF regs and laws have been dodged around because they have to prove intent. Look at all of the gun sellers that are obviously making a business of it, but not doing background checks and not getting an FFL that are selling hundreds of guns a year. ATF finally goes after them and in many cases they don't even get a slap on the wrist, because ATF has to prove intent.

I am sure now some criminals are pointing their finger back at the guy making this stuff. But, I mean, the guy is just making guns for himself. But he is fickle, so selling off the ones he isn't using for him.

But if MD is going to require putting your name and home town on it. That guy making the guns and selling them to criminals now has a law he is specifically breaking that requires no need to prove intent.

No. I am not trying to say this law is good or justified. I would say this is a large part of the reason Lopez is pushing it is they think it'll be easier to prove charges on criminals carrying "ghost guns" as well as some of the guys making them for criminals (supposing it isn't just the criminal themselves).

Please. How many people on this forum have made a gun from an 80% lower/frame and then decided to sell it? My guess would be less than 10, probably closer to 0. The biggest issue with 80% guns is that criminals who are making or stealing them are not put behind bars for long periods of time. Actually the same holds true for serialized firearms as well.
    Do you really think that police/prosecutors really need another gun law to help prosecute these scumbags? Most of them are felons to begin with so it’s already illegal with any gun. Last thing we need is another law that prosecutors and judges ignore when it comes to career criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nailed a lot of people on straw purchases or illegal transfers. Probably a tiny number of legitimate gun owners who discarded the gun after the crime. Numbers, no idea. I do know it has solved at least some crimes (or caught others secondary to the crime itself).

Not super often as most guns used in crime are stolen.

Sadly so few people who do it actually get charged with straw purchases

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Please. How many people on this forum have made a gun from an 80% lower/frame and then decided to sell it? My guess would be less than 10, probably closer to 0. The biggest issue with 80% guns is that criminals who are making or stealing them are not put behind bars for long periods of time. Actually the same holds true for serialized firearms as well.
    Do you really think that police/prosecutors really need another gun law to help prosecute these scumbags? Most of them are felons to begin with so it’s already illegal with any gun. Last thing we need is another law that prosecutors and judges ignore when it comes to career criminals.

^ Absolute truth. And your guess is probably right too. :lol:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

How this truth escapes people is a mystery to me.

Nah, we know the lawmakers know all of this. This is just about bludgeoning people with an individualist's world view. They don't hate 80% builds, they hate us.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sadly so few people who do it actually get charged with straw purchases

Compared to how many do it? Absolutely. But AFAIK the numbers aren't tiny. A few hundred prosecutions a year nationwide.

I've got zero way of knowing, but at a guess there are likely tens of thousands going on annually (likely more). And probably thousands where a straw purchase is implicated, but ATF/state doesn't end up doing anything about it.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Cross bill SB 624 has been filed in the senate. First Reading was on Jan 29. Sign up for testimony is on 2/15. Hearing is on 2/17 @ 1:00PM (or there about). Senator Lee again this year. I did not read word for word but I read the bottom of each page and compared it to HB 638. They appear to be identical at a glance.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Cross bill SB 624 has been filed in the senate. First Reading was on Jan 29. Sign up for testimony is on 2/15. Hearing is on 2/17 @ 1:00PM (or there about). Senator Lee again this year. I did not read word for word but I read the bottom of each page and compared it to HB 638. They appear to be identical at a glance.

Fuggem. Let these monstrosities pass as-is. With as badly as our side is treated, they don’t deserve to have us grovel before them. Opposing the Bill indicates you intend to comply.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Fuggem. Let these monstrosities pass as-is. With as badly as our side is treated, they don’t deserve to have us grovel before them. Opposing the Bill indicates you intend to comply.

This is how you win.
    That is exactly it. Imagine if none of us discuss any of this any longer and just do what we do.

In the past people say wwnc but at the same time had the debate asking them not to change things and take our rights.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    IF I did go to testify, all I would do is what Mopar the Great did a few years ago.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, let's stop voting too because the other side won (or even if you think there is fraud). That'll show them.

PS To see evidence of the level of stupid that is, look at many of the capitol protestors. As it turns out many of them didn't even vote in November.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is how you win.
    That is exactly it. Imagine if none of us discuss any of this any longer and just do what we do.

In the past people say wwnc but at the same time had the debate asking them not to change things and take our rights.

Yeah, just imagine. More outrageous laws would have been passed. You'd still be affected. If you were relatively unlucky, you'd be imprisoned at some point for not complying and lose all of your firearm rights.

And before you say you won't be affected because you aren't complying. Okay, look at the ammo bill. Pretty sure all businesses are going to follow it. So you have no choice but to comply. Unless you have a friend who doesn't mind buying it for you and giving it to you, just so you can skip a background check or get an HQL (or use an HQL if you already have one).

Or sure, you could drive to another state. But that is still affecting you, because it is taking extra time and effort to get it. That is still compliance with the letter of the proposed law (if not the spirit).

You work to stop bad laws, or if that isn't possible, make them the least bad possible. If they still pass, what you do then is a personal choice. But saying don't fight them, just don't comply is

A) arguing to take lawless action
    B) a good way if you follow your own preaching to eventually get in deep shit
    C) gets more bad laws and worse legislation that makes B that much more likely and screws over anyone who will comply, but doesn't like the law

It is a cutting off your nose to spite your face and won't actually result in overall positive change (or less negative).

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I don't think anyone on here disagrees that this is a terrible bill. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that we are relatively united in our opinions on this bill - there is merely a difference of opinion on how to address it.

On most topics (e.g., the ammunition bill) I agree with Lazarus, fight like hell.

But there is some logical merit to Teratos suggestion. We might win the proverbial battle on self-administered serial numbers, to only lose the war and make those numbers be issued by MSP Licensing Division....

The oligarchs in Annapolis don't have a care in the world for what we say. Our only hope is that volume of voices can force them to take notice (such as several sheriff's showing up to voice WWNC along with many hundreds if not thousands of citizens).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom