• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I drove by Saturday for the smalls auction and Sunday (only a 15 minute drive). Saw the lot with more vehicles than I've seen there in years. Thought it might have been the big lot of knives on Saturday, so headed back on Sunday. Did not even bother to go in either day; after many years attending, I was quite sure that with that many people present, there would be no bargains to be had. No big loss, there were a few 'nice to have' items up, but nothing on my 'must have' list.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Was fat boy who sits on counter in front of the sign that reads don't sit on counter there bidding everything up? Was so happy to outbid him on No5 MkII. Went for $700. On my way out he comments that's a lot to pay for a Jungle Carbine. My reply it would be if it was a jungle carbine. It's an experimental MkII grenade rifle one of 50 made. Posted on Milsurps forum the next day and a member offered me $4k so I sold it. Right after I made deal another member offered me $4,500 but I already made a deal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Holy crap, how did I miss that? Right under my nose. Then again I'm betting you had to be there to see the receiver markings as Redding has been slow on the uptake of decent photos. Good on ya! You took it to the right place to sell, that's for sure. That's gotta be one of the best flips I've seen in a long time. And it was a couple of yrs ago, before the current red hot market of today.
    I'll say it over and over, PA has been very good to me over the years. Coughing up one neat item after another. Stuff I just don't find in MD. You just have to have the knowledge when the opportunity arises.
    And yeah, that's slautterfish. Annoying, ain't he? Me, I'd be tempted to tell him what you sold it for the next time you cross paths. Just to rub it in.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Holy crap, how did I miss that? Right under my nose. Then again I'm betting you had to be there to see the receiver markings as Redding has been slow on the uptake of decent photos. Good on ya! You took it to the right place to sell, that's for sure. That's gotta be one of the best flips I've seen in a long time. And it was a couple of yrs ago, before the current red hot market of today.

I'll say it over and over, PA has been very good to me over the years. Coughing up one neat item after another. Stuff I just don't find in MD. You just have to have the knowledge when the opportunity arises.

And yeah, that's slautterfish. Annoying, ain't he? Me, I'd be tempted to tell him what you sold it for the next time you cross paths. Just to rub it in.
    Actually Redding did have the model number in the pics, but they called it a No5 MkI Jungle Carbine.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Actually Redding did have the model number in the pics, but they called it a No5 MkI Jungle Carbine.

-To be fair I doubt a majority of Enfield collectors would have picked up on it, let alone a auction house. I probably would have taken notice had I been inspecting live but only for the unusual receiver markings, not for knowing exactly what it was. Just like my Lebel M27 Mousquton find in a Lancaster auction. There are no published photos of one in print or online and the only reference is that they experimented with 3 barrel lengths, settling on 600mm. So I knew it was an M27 but not that it was a rare prototype. Just realized it was special and was in a position to take advantage of it.
    -I took a look at your photos up on Milsurp.com and she was a doozy. Went to gain some knowledge on the No5 MKII so I dug into Skennerton and had to look real hard to find a paragraph on pg 245. From your Milsurp.com thread it's obvious there's only a handful known to exist and you can probably figure on a few more unknown. Very cool indeed.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    So since I'm reading this I'll ask you Redding regulars about their auctions and get some insight. We are about to sell off a large portion of my uncle's firearms collection (there's well north of 100 guns) to pay for his medical care at an Alzheimer's facility. Obviously we are looking to get the most we can for the guns so that he can stay there as long as possible. I was talking with a former co-worker yesterday who retired to Gettysburg and he mentioned bringing the guns I'm not planning on keeping to Redding to auction off. There's a mix of Curio and Relic, Modern Sporting, Hunting, revolvers, semi autos, etc.

I'm looking for what would be easiest/most convenient on my family up there who are the ones who will be doing it. Is this a place you'd recommend taking it to? Anyone know what they charge for a fee? I know we'd probably get less than if we sold them privately but I think this might be the fastest way and they seem to get top dollar from the prices I'm seeing. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Thanks for sharing!!
    I like going to Redding they are good honest people, and don't charge a buyers premium.
    Rightly their sales are always packed!!! Last time I was there a few months ago the place was packed and half the folks were not wearing masks, even though they provided free masks. I am guessing everyone there has developed herd immunity by now!!!

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    So since I'm reading this I'll ask you Redding regulars about their auctions and get some insight. We are about to sell off a large portion of my uncle's firearms collection (there's well north of 100 guns) to pay for his medical care at an Alzheimer's facility. Obviously we are looking to get the most we can for the guns so that he can stay there as long as possible. I was talking with a former co-worker yesterday who retired to Gettysburg and he mentioned bringing the guns I'm not planning on keeping to Redding to auction off. There's a mix of Curio and Relic, Modern Sporting, Hunting, revolvers, semi autos, etc.

I'm looking for what would be easiest/most convenient on my family up there who are the ones who will be doing it. Is this a place you'd recommend taking it to? Anyone know what they charge for a fee? I know we'd probably get less than if we sold them privately but I think this might be the fastest way and they seem to get top dollar from the prices I'm seeing. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
    Its an auction so you get top price minus fee, they are honest people, I would recommend them. Their actions are always packed, I think its the most hassle free way to sell a large collection.

Jul 1, 2012
    ... and like any auction there's no guarantee that you WILL get top price unless you set a reserve, which some auction houses don't allow.
    But for a large collection where you don't want to spend the time & significant effort it takes to sell them yourself, it's a good way to go.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA

They bring top dollar for the most part. It's rare to see a gun go for under retail, and they usually sell for higher than gunbroker prices. There are a handful of dealers there that bid up every gun. I have got some great deals on small items when nobody knows what it is or how much its worth. They also do a good job with pictures. Pa auction center is probably a little farther, but they have online bidding also, which helps drive up prices.

I want to say their fee is 12-15%.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Seller's premium is 13%. I consigned 10 C&R rifles to Redding in Nov. and they should hit their next military focused auction. Will let you know how I did. A mix of common stuff (Finn M39, Finn 91/30, Russian M44, Austrian M95, SMLE, etc and a Ross MKII).
    Probably the best bet for an auction house that's gun focused within 1-2 hrs drive. They have a strong crowd of regulars and most of the time will net market value because of the no buyer's premium policy. Pat Redding is easy to work with.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Seller's premium is 13%. I consigned 10 C&R rifles to Redding in Nov. and they should hit their next military focused auction. Will let you know how I did. A mix of common stuff (Finn M39, Finn 91/30, Russian M44, Austrian M95, SMLE, etc and a Ross MKII).
    Probably the best bet for an auction house that's gun focused within 1-2 hrs drive. They have a strong crowd of regulars and mthat'sost of the time will net market value because of the no buyer's premium policy. Pat Redding is easy to work with.

13% That's incredibly cheap. Lot better than the 30 or 40% I've seen, they obviously make theirs on volume. That and they have pretty high dollar stuff.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to reach out to them this week sometime about placing some items in their auctions. I know my family is super overwhelmed with everything and I try my best to help but this seems like the best bet for everyone to sell them quickly for a fair price.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    who charges 30-40%? that's insane. Even RIA isn't that bold. :)

Marshalls, Foxwell, Nelson's, Pete Richardson's did and that just off the top
    of my head. To be fair at least Marshalls was on a sliding scale. 40% up to 100 dollars then dropped a couple points for each hundred or thousand. Plus every one of them had buyers premium usually another 10% plus another 3% on plastic..

Redding's was always very fair to buyer and seller.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    -To be fair I doubt a majority of Enfield collectors would have picked up on it, let alone a auction house. I probably would have taken notice had I been inspecting live but only for the unusual receiver markings, not for knowing exactly what it was. Just like my Lebel M27 Mousquton find in a Lancaster auction. There are no published photos of one in print or online and the only reference is that they experimented with 3 barrel lengths, settling on 600mm. So I knew it was an M27 but not that it was a rare prototype. Just realized it was special and was in a position to take advantage of it.

-I took a look at your photos up on Milsurp.com and she was a doozy. Went to gain some knowledge on the No5 MKII so I dug into Skennerton and had to look real hard to find a paragraph on pg 245. From your Milsurp.com thread it's obvious there's only a handful known to exist and you can probably figure on a few more unknown. Very cool indeed.
    Thank you. Yes they are rare there were 50 made of each type and many did not survive. If I was collecting Enfields like I do now I may have kept it, but it went to a good home.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Nice thing about Redding is no buyers premium. RIA I believe is 25% for seller and on the buyers side by the time you add up all the fees a single $800 hammer price is $1200 shipped.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The highest I've seen on a firearm auction is Germany's Hermann Historicia. They clip the buyer for 30%. What's insane about RIA is that they're making the same 21.5% from the seller! So in total they're raking in 43%. It's why I'll never do business with them again. Plus they annoy the crap outta me by calling all the time, esp. during work hours. I can see why they're motivated to annoy me, it's crazy profitable. Don't even get me started on their poor photos and descriptions and the bundling crap. Plus it's frustrating to see half the collections in the US get hoovered up and consigned to them.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The highest I've seen on a firearm auction is Germany's Hermann Historicia. They clip the buyer for 30%. What's insane about RIA is that they're making the same 21.5% from the seller! So in total they're raking in 43%. It's why I'll never do business with them again. Plus they annoy the crap outta me by calling all the time, esp. during work hours. I can see why they're motivated to annoy me, it's crazy profitable. Don't even get me started on their poor photos and descriptions and the bundling crap. Plus it's frustrating to see half the collections in the US get hoovered up and consigned to them.

I wish Ian from Forgotten Weapons would do less free advertising for them given their practices, but, with them getting the majority of collection consignments, they're going to get the majority of the unique stuff out there as well.

When he did the video of bidding on a lot there a while back, I was stunned that they were grouping things the way they were. 3 and 4 gun lots. I guess it's how they think they'll sell the chaff by packaging it with the wheat, but I'd imagine they'd get better profits if they sold things individually.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I wish Ian from Forgotten Weapons would do less free advertising for them given their practices, but, with them getting the majority of collection consignments, they're going to get the majority of the unique stuff out there as well.

When he did the video of bidding on a lot there a while back, I was stunned that they were grouping things the way they were. 3 and 4 gun lots. I guess it's how they think they'll sell the chaff by packaging it with the wheat, but I'd imagine they'd get better profits if they sold things individually.
    Ian shills for RIA and IO. Without them he wouldn't have much of a Channel. Once he started selling gun Jesus merch I stopped watching. Promoting that IO garbage pile was bad enough, blasphemy is a whole other level.

Auction houses package Firearms to get the junk sold. Usually it is a good one, ok one, and junk one. RIA it's 2 junks.

Jul 1, 2012

They also typically try to bundle crap stuff together so the lot will sell in the $1500-2000 range. That's typical of all the houses. When Warren Buxton's P.38 collection went to Julia, the authenticator/cataloger screwed the pooch on a lot of stuff, and bundled some really rare post-war guns in with junk and didn't notice what they were. So some savvy collectors (unfortunately, not me) got some really good deals. And some junk to deal with :) RIA a lot of the times as said above just bundles a bunch of crap together. Been there done that.

What REALLY annoys me is when they bundle C&R and non-C&R together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom