• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I hit VA Guntrader, looking for bullets and brass. WTF, the asking prices on primers is crazy. $175 for 1000 primers :sad20: of all sizes.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Been like that a while now. I can’t find spp now so I guess supply and demand. I’ve got enough for a while but will but more if they are reasonable. My 9mm stash needs to grow.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Last year it was toilet paper. This year it's primers. Hoarders, bots, and profiteers.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Testing a price ceiling.

Has pricing gotten bad enough to perhaps be capable of pushing buyers out of the market? Because uncertainty remains such that folks badly want to make buys.

Everybody has their own answer and pain tolerance. Who knows where it will settle. Alot yet to play out.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I've been watching a few Waffle sights on MeWe, the sight moderator posts say "100 rnds of 223" and sells 20 spots for $20 each .... math, $4 rnd they collect.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Damn it, I am actually thinking about saving my SPP when I decap the 9mm cases and buying some prime all powder. Someone should sell that stuff wet, where it will not explode and ready to use.

At some point people will start taking apart the loaded ammo
    and parting them out.

Reloading chop-shops..

Already being done. I know 2 reloaders who have dissected their stash of 38 SPL and 32 and decapped them to use the primers for their 9mm and 40SW. One of them had nearly 10,000 38 SWCs that he cast and loaded for range plinking. He put the powder back in bottles, put the brass in a bucket and melted down the lead and recast it to 40 and 9. Now he has about 4000 of each with a couple bricks of SPP to spare. I just gave him 1000 more 9mm brass to load up since I have more than I can use.

Lead cast bullets might not be great for self defense but it certainly beats not having anything.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Ammo arbitrage!

Btw I just picked up a handful of primer and powder orders at Gainesville cabelas, zip on shelves.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Honestly, I think "part" of the problem is Manufacturers, and distributors need to raise the prices to the point that when they come into stock, people are not snapping them up and hoarding.
    Right now we have a Rationing situation with the online sales because availability is low.
    If they were sold for say $75/1000 (maybe more) online or on the shelf in shops, then there would be primers available for when people need them. But they have everyone up in arms whining that they are selling them for too much when they do have them. So the flippers are selling them for high prices cause they can't push any volume and are looking for the desperate buyer.
    There are people spending all day searching sites to just buy them then not even use them (they have mental issues I think).

I was in a shop today and many calibers are 2x what they were a year ago, BUT they were in stock. 12 gauge clay loads for $10/25 instead of $5/25 but if you wanna shoot, you can. Go to Basspro or Walmart and they have NOTHING. I'd rather see it jacked up in price but available than nothing there. even at 10 cents a primer, I'm still way ahead than buying the loaded ammo at today's prices. With supply low and demand high, if you think you will only buy ammo at 2019 prices, well, your gonna just not shoot or if you already stocked up, great, shoot what you got.

Flame on.

Bullets and brass will be right behind. Imagine what loaded ammo will go for. 47 years hand loading and never seen it like this. I refuse to pay it. Let them eat them. Time to dig out fishing gear.

bullets are already starting to dry up. I don't think brass will ever completely go away because what's the point in buying brass if you don't have powder primer and bullets to reload? I don't think they will become scarce.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    I posted in another thread i bought a cap and ball revolver so i would have something to shoot . don't know about useing up my stash ,might not be able to replace it . no way i'm paying today's prices . small and large rifle primers at .20 to .30 cents each ? not me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom