• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Short answer is July 1 2020 if no revisions to the house bills are made and either pass.

Long answer: The senate ban bill was already killed, the house ban bill hasn't been read in committee yet. Supposedly undergoing revisions. Additionally there is a house bill that would eliminate Virginia preemption laws regarding anything firearms related, so theoretically a county could ban assault weapons, concealed carry, standard capacity magazines, silencers, etc. The county I live in happens to have flipped blue this election, so we would almost certainly get the pain train if that one passed. The senate version, which I think has already been approved for crossover to the house, "only" removes preemption for concealed carry for govt buildings, permitted events, etc. So depending on which gutting of preemption law sticks, we may get hit with two AWBs.

Outright bans are looking unfavorable and will look to probably die on the senate floor or in committee, but I don't trust the Democrats not to call a special session and do it anyway if there is another spree killing that makes the news.

But at a minimum, I have until July 1, 2020 to find a 7.62x39 AKm that I like. Also want a 5.45x39 pistol that I will SBR. I have a Draco 7.62x39 pistol that I will SBR soon, SLR104FR 5.45x39 rifle, and Vz58 rifle as well. If I can get the two I want prior to July 1, I'll be a happy collector.

I wish I had a do over and could get an AK-47 :(

I was dumb and spent most of my pre ban capitol on a national match M1A that I never get to shoot.

Scope3334

Industry Partner
    Mar 12, 2016
    So how would we find out if the PSA 103 is MD legal? Ak operators union has already went over some of it and so far the differences are barrell, muzzle break, front sight, bolt carrier, bolt and gas block. Not sure as it was not discussed but with the changes to the bolt carrier wouldn't the reciever also have some minor changes? What's the real deal with the parts interchangeable?

LongRanger300

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2020
    I truly hope this eeks through but I’ll probably get a Mutant or AK pistol or move out if state before I can get a 7.62x39 AK patterned MD legal rifle. #Meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The law is clear that it's "in any format". That is more expansive wording than the other bans, and it's why this would be banned as well. Sorry.

Actual text:

(ii) AK–47 in all forms;

So if is not an AK-47, or not fully compatible in all parts, then it would not be banned.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Actual text:

So if is not an AK-47, or not fully compatible in all parts, then it would not be banned.

There’s also another entry for “Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format,” so it doesn’t necessarily need to be a “47” as the public understands it to be banned.

From what I read, the PSA 103 isn’t a true 103. It’s got the AKM bolt and no bump rivet.

If the PSA 103 is legal, then the SGL-21 (true 103 style) or maybe the SLR-107 (AKM bolt and trunnion) should be returner to legal too

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    Given Maryland's track record, the overall tendency of bans seems to indicate that MOST AK-74 style rifles are legal (SLR-104, 105, Century M74...) as well as other AK's, such as the AK-101 style SLR-106.

For the most part, as long as it isn't a 7.62x39 AK, it has a greater chance of being legal than not, but this isn't always the case (see Molot Vepr AK-74.)

An AK-103 would be 7.62x39, so it's almost certainly going to be considered a clone of an AK-47 / AKM and therefor banned. Technically "AK-47" means a milled Kalash, and these have almost no interchangeability with an AKM. Despite this, the AKM and AK-47 are both banned.

I believe the MSP interprets the law this way: If it's a 7.62x39 AK-type firearm that isn't a pistol or SBR, it's banned.

As for 74's well, right now it looks like that as long as you don't put AK in the name and it isn't 7.62, it might just pass their screening or whatever the hell it is they do to determine if a rifle is a copy or not. This is just a theory, there isn't nearly enough evidence to prove this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There’s also another entry for “Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format,” so it doesn’t necessarily need to be a “47” as the public understands it to be banned.

Correct. I did not go far enough down the list. I also expected it to be alphabetical order. :)

But based on that, any AK type action firearm should be banned.

But there are many that are supposedly not.

Nothing like consistancy

NLO3

Oct 9, 2020
    Towson, MD
    Is there any update on this? The rifle isn’t listed in PSA’s section on the MSP’s site, so it hasn’t been reviewed. We all know the 103 doesn’t have fully exchangeable parts with the “AK-47.” No FFLs seem to know either.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Looking for an answer as well as this 5.56/.300 black out shortage is ramping up my inner combloc weapon desire and I'm really digging a plumb AK-103.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom