• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The last time I was there, which was a couple of weeks ago, I rolled in with all of my mags fully loaded - nothing in the guns, and the guns were separated from the mags, but no one said a word to me about it.

If I had to be picky about things at On Target, I'd say first that it's kinda dim in there and the shelves for the lanes are a bit small - it was, IMO, better before they renovated it, but they went with commercially available products for renovation, so you can't really blame that on anything.

Their staff is a bit young and green, but then again, not everyone is an old phardt like me. Overall I have always liked On Target, but now that Cindy's Hot Shots in Glen Burnie is up and running, I'll probably go there - it's a nice range, and it's a lot closer.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think if you are generally knowledgeable about firearms and have typical gun store etiquette, you won't ever have a problem with them. It's only how I've seen them interact with other customers that don't know a whole lot that had me a little disturbed.

It's the stores like this, though, that give gun stores a bad wrap and an intimidating vibe to newcomers. We've got no room for that. We've got to embrace every opportunity available to bring interested individuals onto our side (pro 2A).

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I think if you are generally knowledgeable about firearms and have typical gun store etiquette, you won't ever have a problem with them. It's only how I've seen them interact with other customers that don't know a whole lot that had me a little disturbed.

It's the stores like this, though, that give gun stores a bad wrap and an intimidating vibe to newcomers. We've got no room for that. We've got to embrace every opportunity available to bring interested individuals onto our side (pro 2A).

I was very new, and this was the first gun range I have ever been to. If it wasn't for my buddy forcing me to go skeet shooting, I would have been completely put off by guns. I never grew up around guns. While there, we weren't unsafe, we just didn't hear him when he said which lane and he got pissed when we told him afterward.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    In all fairness, there were many people that believed that you were not allowed to transport loaded magazines. I used to laugh at people rushing to load their 15 mags before matches. I tried to explain the law but, over time, I just gave up.

I guess they have never seen this letter by the Maryland Attorney General saying it's OK to transport loaded mags in your vehicle.

Attachments

• AG on transporting loaded magazines.pdf
      41.4 KB · Views: 119

Big_Z

Nov 30, 2016
    I've had some bad experiences with safety there, from people renting.

They do give a quick spiel on safety, but nothing to formal. One time, I watched a guy pick up his rental, then walk into the range area, muzzle up, flagging his friend who was in front.

Free state is better, in my experience, but its a hike. Cant speak to Cindys, but I hear good things.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Was my original regular pistol range when I first got into it maybe around 2003. Shot there a bunch until about 2010 or so when I joined AGC for the first time. I had concerns over some of the other patrons on the range a couple of times and their level of safe handling so I get why they instruct so firmly.

Retail side I’ve been a patron since 2003, always been friendly and helpful. I’ve gotten quite a few good deals from them as recently as 2 months ago. I’ve found just like at all other shops with someone behind the counter you’ve never worked with before they’ll be cautious at first but will be more engaging after you’ve demonstrated you know what you’re doing and talking about. They see all types of individual with all different intentions and skill levels at LGS’s and have to be courteous but careful.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Site says they are restricting lane usage to 30 min. That's already short. Then I have to use valuable lane time to load my mags? Big turn off

They have a lot of demand. Every time I go I see classes waiting outside to get their chance. Add in now the AA Co 25% capacity restrictions and probably worse right now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Take all the sterotypes about average indoor pistol ranges , both good and bad . Crank them all up one notch, and you have On Target .

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I stopped going there several years ago when I was assigned a lane where the target return wire was sagging so low, having bullets strike the floor was unavoidable. I called an RSO over to show him the situation and he told me to go ahead and shoot anyway. I told the RSO it was not a safe to shoot that way and I left without shooting. I haven't been back since.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    OnTarget is 2 miles from my house, Cindy’s is 15ish. I go to Cindy’s. Better attitude, now that the range is redone better lighting, modern target systems. You can film yourself. Only shot at OnTarget this year when Cindy’s was closed for the remodel.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    OnTarget is 2 miles from my house, Cindy’s is 15ish. I go to Cindy’s. Better attitude, now that the range is redone better lighting, modern target systems. You can film yourself. Only shot at OnTarget this year when Cindy’s was closed for the remodel.

Thinking about trying out Cindy’s- there are times the drive out and back to AGC just isn’t what I feel like doing. Cindy’s is about 10 minutes door to door.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Cindy's is about the same distance for me as OT. Isn't Cindy's a bit more expensive?

We have probably crossed paths many times.

I’m ok paying a little extra for a nicer experience and the convenience of it when I feel like shooting a handgun. Rifles I’ll stick to AGC.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I’m ok paying a little extra for a nicer experience and the convenience of it when I feel like shooting a handgun. Rifles I’ll stick to AGC.
    I feel kinda bad - I've been pretty faithful to On Target for years, but Cindy's is so close, and now that it isn't owned and operated by the douchebags of the past, it will be worth it for me to go there - it's closer, seems that it's going to be nicer, and the extra cost might be mitigated if I get a membership there.

I'm getting a prism optic for my AR for Christmas, and I can't wait to take it over there and do a basic zero on it - I know it'll only be 25 yards, but that's what we use to zero in the National Guard, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom