• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Need to tap into the MDS brain trust for some help. A member of the significant other's family recently inherited a 3rd gen Colt Single Action Army. Looking to get an idea on it's value.(they're not selling it though). It's a nickel plated 4 3/4 inch. Chambered in .44-40 Winchester. It is new in the box, unfired, with all the paperwork. It does have a set of aftermarket pearl grips but the factory wood is still with it. Serial number puts it at 1993 production. They would also like to know how much it would hurt the value if they did fire it a few times. Photo attached. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20201227_145552.jpg
      20201227_145552.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 219

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    How much does the value increase much due to being unshot?

Just curious because I have a few unshot that I twitch at when I go shooting.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    How much value does a new car lose once you drive it off the dealer's lot?

A standard, plain Jane SAA certainly has some collector value but if fired loses at least 20-25% regardless of being perfect otherwise. If it's nickel plated and a collector desired caliber such as .44-40 the value jumps. If the SAA in question was blue and color case hardened and .45 Colt or .38 /.357...a very base model...its value would be in the $1300-$1600 area. If the pearl grips were factory supplied instead of aftermarket pearls the value would be more than the value of the grips alone.

So much comes down to the individual gun. Some years were known to be better than others but all SAAs have value potential...and all buyers aren't looking for the same thing...some want safe queens and some want shooters.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I can't answer any of those questions but that's a beautiful gun and I would have a very hard time NOT shooting it!

After getting to handle it yesterday, I gladly volunteered to provide instruction if they do decide to shoot it.

$1800-$2200 plus the value of the pearls. 3rd gen SAAs aren't considered as desirable as earlier gens but nickel plating always helps.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along!

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    In 2017 i bought a new in box , early 90s, 3 gen nickel with colt rosewood stocks 44-40 7.5” with box, wood case and matching label at a balto co gun shop for $1500. In 2019 i bought a 3 gen .45 nickel, NIB, matching label on box, 7.5”, walnut stocks at an eastern shore gun shop, $1400 incl tax. Can’t recall when it was made or shipped. These were good buys. I think many collectors would say the 4.75” is more desirable than the 7.5”, and the 44-40 is desirable and not as commonly seen as the .45. Very nice looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom