• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Finally, the new book on the Tokarev by Cameron White is shipping out. Got my copy today and it's chock full of info and lots of detailed color pictures. Covers from pre-TT-30 up through the Norinco and Yugo copies. If you collect these, it's well worth the $40 and will be an invaluable reference. Two drawbacks - soft cover and printed in China. Size is about 8.5x11" and 224 pages (deceptive because he crams a lot of stuff into each page).

https://gunandswordcollector.com/product/tokarev-pistols/

Attachments

• tokarev book.jpg
      tokarev book.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 329
    • DSC_2032 (2).JPG
      DSC_2032 (2).JPG
      81.9 KB · Views: 339

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ordered, thanks for the heads-up.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I always cringe at the price of new reference books on firearms, but not nearly as much as I cringe at the price 5 years later when I didn't buy it new and now it's 10x as much for a used copy.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Ordered - thanks for the head's up.

And ditto on trying to find a copy of a gun book when it is out of print. They skyrocket.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I always cringe at the price of new reference books on firearms, but not nearly as much as I cringe at the price 5 years later when I didn't buy it new and now it's 10x as much for a used copy.

Yup.

That's the thing about reference books; low print runs, seldom if ever reprinted, must-have information for collectors/dealers who look deeper than the surface. Those who know have a distinct edge over those who don't know.

This is not limited to firearms references. It's true across the board.

Jul 1, 2012
    Look at the Potocki Colt 1905 Military book... not rare at all, and you could buy 'em all day long for $20-30 a couple years ago.
    For some reason they shot up to $200-300 in the past year. Or Jan Still's books, or Clawson... holy schnikey!
    I don't think this one will be like that, but the way I look at it, buying books will always save you money in the long run!

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    somd-mustangs, I'm getting a book and didn't even have to buy it. I talked my son into getting one and giving it to me for my birthday, or next Christmas. I hope I forget all about it by then. :)

Thanks for posting.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Please elaborate.
    Look, don't get me wrong, people have interests, that's great.

In the Tok's homeland, back in the day when growing up, what everyone wanted were Japanese cars, Swiss watches and 1911s. That was _class_.

A book about Toks to someone over there feels like a book, with research, illustrations, data gathering about something so _banal_ it's not worth writing about. An AKM or a T-34 changed the world and we knew this... But the Tok is just some pot metal they churned out, with the bare minimum of consideration towards functionality. Or at least that's what many thought.

It's like a book about Khrushev sausages. Surely you could, but why???

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Look, don't get me wrong, people have interests, that's great.

In the Tok's homeland, back in the day when growing up, what everyone wanted were Japanese cars, Swiss watches and 1911s. That was _class_.

A book about Toks to someone over there feels like a book, with research, illustrations, data gathering about something so _banal_ it's not worth writing about. An AKM or a T-34 changed the world and we knew this... But the Tok is just some pot metal they churned out, with the bare minimum of consideration towards functionality. Or at least that's what many thought.

It's like a book about Khrushev sausages. Surely you could, but why???

Part of why they're so interesting it because they were never meant to be. And who says a TT didnt change the world?

Like the Liberator

Like people who catalog all the correct combinations of M1 carbine parts

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    When I was a young pup Finnish Mosins were off collector's radar, just another of millions of MNs built over decades. Then two enterprising gentlemen started a website that focused hard on all MNs but really tunneled deep into all things Finn and Katy bar the door. IMHO they single-handedly jump started the Finn collector craze via Gunboards (RIP Tuco). In 1985 who would have thought anyone would pay $2k or more for any Mosin Nagant?
    So often it's a book or website and the knowledge it imparts that sparks interest. I have no doubt Toks will eventually take their rightful place in all things of historical interest. They've got a tale to tell too!

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Man At Arms also has a book “Communist Bloc Handguns” covering Toks, Maks, CZ82s, P64s, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Book arrived today.

I finished reading through the book. It is heavily geared toward collectors who will delight in the numerous and detailed photos of all the variations. Pictures of each year of production, closeups of the various little stamps, discussions of interesting variations, etc.

Many more pictures and much clearer than the Fred Datig book. Also covers Bulgarian, North Korean, Polish, Yugoslavian, Chinese, Romanian and Pakistani variants.

There is very little on the historical usage of the gun, effectiveness, strengths/weaknesses when compared with contemporaries, etc.

All-in-all a very nice book - but maybe not for everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom