• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Sanchez

Jul 25, 2020
    C-137
    My first time visiting this location. I had a blast. Ammo was inexpensive. I read a bunch of reviews about local indoor ranges where the prices are significantly inflated( Gilbert’s ) but since I had a few 100 rounds I decided to take the 20 mile drive to Frederick and experience it for myself. I had asked around locally about peoples experiences and as a African American I had a few people say that Frederick can be very racial bias place.

My experience today was very pleasant. The staff was friendly and I had no issues. I even shot someone’s AR. I’m definitely going to go back because I still have a boner from that AR! Will be checking out Gilbert’s over this weekend for my own experience.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I have a Gilbert’s membership bc it’s only about 8 miles from my house. It’s ok, you do have to purchase ammo there and it’s pricey for non-members. If you’re going as a first timer I highly recommend going on a weekday on off-hours, it’s crazy on the weekend these days and members get priority. I find most of the staff to be friendly and helpful. Haven’t been to machine gun nest yet but might check it out soon for the hell of it.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    What is a membership? $$ and worth it?

I'd love when family visits to say go shoot a few cool guns.

krieger

Sep 9, 2016
    West Virginia
    i have always had very good experiences there , very cordial and great service.
    If you get out Morgantown way go to Defense indepth , an awesome indoor range and exceptional people

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    TMGN

My favorite part about TMGN is Sunday members only hours! You can walk in, get a lane, and do some shooting. Longest I’ve ever had to wait was 10 mins! Can’t say enough good things about the staff there! This is someplace that truly wants to encourage the 2A sport while maintains a safe, friendly, and helpful atmosphere.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I love visiting TMGN, the prices are very reasonable, the staff are super friendly and helpful--and they're total nerds if you have bring a gun they want to try out; I had one of their guys very sheepishly ask if he could shoot my Webley MKIV the last time I was there, should've seen the huge grin on his face. :D

r100rsman

Mar 9, 2017
    Olney
    I used to be a member at Heritage until they increased pricing dramatically. Joined the MGN and really like it and Sunday member time is the best.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Good folks, friendly environment. Can't speak for all of Frederick because I haven't met them all yet but I haven't observed what OPs contacts refer to as a place of racial bias. I don't live there but I observe a larger number of interracial couples walking the sidewalks than I did when I lived in Baltimore. If Frederick wasn't Maryland, I'd probably move to the outlying parts of the county and never leave.

Edit to add: Not just at ranges in Frederick but in most places I have been I see shooters of any color or gender welcomed. I have seen some poor behavior at a gun show or a shop now and then in some states but never at a match and only once or twice on a range.

Last edited:

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    My experience there was ok. The staff are certainly great people no doubt. When I went it was right after they were able to reopen because of COVID. Put me on a lane with a guy next to me who was firing 300Blk and it was blowing my target everywhere while I was trying to attach it plus gun powder flying everywhere. That is the main reason why I think outdoor ranges are hands down so much better. After that experience I joined AGC in Marriotsville. Their open year round and it is pretty big place. Well worth the drive from Damascus.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    I got some training from TMGN early this year and was very happy with the experience. As a new shooter at that time with no prior experience it drastically improved my accuracy and helped me understand what and how to practice to develop good fundamentals. The trainer was very professional, the staff were really helpful and even though it is a small facility it is nicely maintained. I would definitely go back and will once COVID is done.

I won’t say anything negative about Heritage other than I very much prefer TMGN over Heritage even though it is much smaller.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    I have been to both ranges, TMGN and Heritage. I do like both. The big positives that I would give Heritage are that they have more lanes, allow you to make reservations online and it is the kind of place my parents feel comfortable shooting at. Meanwhile, TMGN has a much more laid back atmosphere and they have always been super friendly and helpful. I just wish there was some way to anticipate wait times (especially on weekends) or reserve a lane. I currently live in Montgomery county- anticipating a move to Frederick- so driving 30/45 minutes just to wait an hour is pretty painful.

I haven't been to Gilbert's- I have heard very mixed reviews. Anyone one else feel strongly about it one way or another? Should I give them a go?

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I have been to both ranges, TMGN and Heritage. I do like both. The big positives that I would give Heritage are that they have more lanes, allow you to make reservations online and it is the kind of place my parents feel comfortable shooting at. Meanwhile, TMGN has a much more laid back atmosphere and they have always been super friendly and helpful. I just wish there was some way to anticipate wait times (especially on weekends) or reserve a lane. I currently live in Montgomery county- anticipating a move to Frederick- so driving 30/45 minutes just to wait an hour is pretty painful.

I haven't been to Gilbert's- I have heard very mixed reviews. Anyone one else feel strongly about it one way or another? Should I give them a go?

I have an annual membership at Gilbert - signed up bc I did HQL there in April and it’s close enough to home that I can go on lunch hour. Also there special member hours on the weekend. I’ve only been to a couple indoor ranges in MD so I don’t have many points for comparison.

What sucks: 1. you must buy their ammo and cannot bring your own. This as I understand is not their fault but is a compromise between Gilbert (the owner) and the insanely anti-gun attitude of MoCo govt. The idea I guess is it means I won’t have ammo in my car to or from the range. Never mind that I regularly go up to AGC with can of hundreds of rds. The upside as I see it now is I’m not eating into my own supply when I shoot there.

2. If you’re shooting 9mm right now you must be a member to buy it and you’re generally limited to one box. This means for me a trip there is only good for a quick live fire assessment of my shooting and it’s over real quick.

3. With so many new gun owners (I’m admittedly new to owning a handgun this year but I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns and had safety drilled into my head by my dad) I occasionally see an idiot being very unsafe. One guy tapped me on the shoulder to ask me about the target system inmediately AFTER I had loaded a mag. A few weeks ago some guy did something dumb enough that he was taken off range by the staff and given a serious talking to by all of them. So at least the staff are keeping a watchful eye.

tl;dr: Gilbert is fine if you have a membership and don’t mine buying there, member ammo prices are reasonable enough given the situation. If you show up as a guest good luck getting a spot.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    I have an annual membership at Gilbert - signed up bc I did HQL there in April and it’s close enough to home that I can go on lunch hour. Also there special member hours on the weekend. I’ve only been to a couple indoor ranges in MD so I don’t have many points for comparison.

What sucks: 1. you must buy their ammo and cannot bring your own. This as I understand is not their fault but is a compromise between Gilbert (the owner) and the insanely anti-gun attitude of MoCo govt. The idea I guess is it means I won’t have ammo in my car to or from the range. Never mind that I regularly go up to AGC with can of hundreds of rds. The upside as I see it now is I’m not eating into my own supply when I shoot there.

2. If you’re shooting 9mm right now you must be a member to buy it and you’re generally limited to one box. This means for me a trip there is only good for a quick live fire assessment of my shooting and it’s over real quick.

3. With so many new gun owners (I’m admittedly new to owning a handgun this year but I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns and had safety drilled into my head by my dad) I occasionally see an idiot being very unsafe. One guy tapped me on the shoulder to ask me about the target system inmediately AFTER I had loaded a mag. A few weeks ago some guy did something dumb enough that he was taken off range by the staff and given a serious talking to by all of them. So at least the staff are keeping a watchful eye.

tl;dr: Gilbert is fine if you have a membership and don’t mine buying there, member ammo prices are reasonable enough given the situation. If you show up as a guest good luck getting a spot.

Thanks for the feedback! I've definitely heard people lean both ways. That is pretty frustrating that you can't bring your own ammo. Right now I'm shooting 9mm and 22lr so while I don't think the 22 would be a problem, you basically can't shot 9mm without being a member and even if you are... 50 rounds just doesn't do it for me, haha. I guess if I'm still around down here after all those restrictions are lifted I'd try it out but until then looks like I'm making the hike up to Frederick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom