• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi,

Anyone shoot steel at the 200yd range at AGC? From the range rules it says the steel target should be right in front of the dirt backstop. Of course no steel anywhere near the AGC target carriage.

I looked last Sunday when the 200 yd range was deserted, and I didn't see any rail road ties like they have at the 100yard barnes range to stick a 2x4 inside, or did I miss something?

Do people make their own base for a 2x4 holder or something to hit steel at the 200 yard range? I can make pretty much any type of holder out of wood, just need to get some ideas. Will be (hopefully) hitting the plate with .223, .30-06, 7.5x55 Swiss, and 8x57. Probably needs a sturdy/won't tip over base.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Appreciate it! I've been eyeing a sweedish mauser to add to the milsurp collection, but not until next year probably. I've punished my bank account enough recently.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was literally just wondering about this last night, so this is a nicely timed question for me, too. Sounds like I need to bring my stand out with me...

I should add...
    Hitting fixed steel targets with deer rifles puts a beating on the nut and bolt. It would be a good idea to get some Grade 8 hardware to attach the target to the stand. Shooting a .223, .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, etc. shouldn't be an issue. However, "Home Depot grade" carriage bolts and a .30-06 won't get along too well.
    Make sure your rounds are within AGC parameters. I know that a 110gr projectile from a .30-06 is too fast- not sure about the other cartridges mentioned.

I should add...
    Hitting fixed steel targets with deer rifles puts a beating on the nut and bolt. It would be a good idea to get some Grade 8 hardware to attach the target to the stand. Shooting a .223, .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, etc. shouldn't be an issue. However, "Home Depot grade" carriage bolts and a .30-06 won't get along too well.
    Make sure your rounds are within AGC parameters. I know that a 110gr projectile from a .30-06 is too fast- not sure about the other cartridges mentioned.

AGC now has bullet speed parameters? Been a while since I've been there.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Used these stands on the 200 for everything from 5.45 to .30-06, 7.62x54r, 7.5 swiss, etc. with no issues if you find a good spot and knock them in deep, they hold up pretty well

Yep we've thrown a lot of stuff at them recently, and not a single issue outside of my terrible torso holders. We've even had it where three of us were hitting the same one with above .30 and no movement.

Used these stands on the 200 for everything from 5.45 to .30-06, 7.62x54r, 7.5 swiss, etc. with no issues if you find a good spot and knock them in deep, they hold up pretty well

Yep we've thrown a lot of stuff at them recently, and not a single issue outside of my terrible torso holders. We've even had it where three of us were hitting the same one with above .30 and no movement.

Good to know. Carrying the stand in post #2, along with AR500 steel, 2x4, etc. is a PITA when I'm solo.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Good to know. Carrying the stand in post #2, along with AR500 steel, 2x4, etc. is a PITA when I'm solo.

That was my primary reason for purchase. Now I can carry 3 of the spikes, 2x4's and steel. Red and I can get everything set up in no time and we have a decent amount to shoot at with little to no effort.

Get one of these:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQ4HZVX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for 3-gun as well, but it holds a ton of crap to take down 200 yards.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I should add...

Yah, first time I used steel a few months back I cranked the bolt down and it snapped the third shot from my 03a3. I got some nice sturdy bolts from ace hardware, nylon locking nuts, heavy duty spring and plenty of extras in case it happens again. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get a stand. Looking forward to getting out there this weekend if 200yd range isn't busy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I use it for 3-gun as well, but it holds a ton of crap to take down 200 yards.
    Never considered using my 3gun cart for running my steel out to 200! Smart. I have some 308 loads I need to test out, and I think this may be in my near future.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Never considered using my 3gun cart for running my steel out to 200! Smart. I have some 308 loads I need to test out, and I think this may be in my near future.

Just watch the weight distribution if you take a lot of plates down. Keep the steel in the center and all the accessories at the edges. (Ask me how I know...) The carts aren't designed for THAT much weight. Though I learned to sew and really beefed my cart up after that incident :innocent0

I stick my 2x4's in the gun caddies I tossed on it and everything is nice and easy to take down and makes clean-up easy too.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Just a quick update for anyone interested- I made a lightweight portable stand out of 2x4s that worked very well. The base was 2, 36 inch 2x4's with a central brace to hold a vertical 2x4 for the target.

I shot at a reduced IPSC AR500 steel plate (the one that AGC sells) at 200 yards and it held up to numerous hits with .30-06 target loads without tipping over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom