StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Honestly archery but I’d like the ability to go a little further than 100
    I've got one of the first gen range finders. Bushnell I believe. It might go out to 800M. They are so much improved now with vertical compensation and all but, for plain old archery, I've never seen the need. It still works like a charm. New battery every fall and it never lets me down. When did they first come out? That's how old mine is. :shrug:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Anything with slope or angle compensation will work for archery and normal hunting distances. If you head out west or get into long range shooting then upgrade. But for what you described there's a million options. Bushnell, vortex, leupold all have something under $200.

I have an older bushnell that doesn't have angle measurements. Stay away from those.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've got one of the first gen range finders. Bushnell I believe. It might go out to 800M. They are so much improved now with vertical compensation and all but, for plain old archery, I've never seen the need. It still works like a charm. New battery every fall and it never lets me down. When did they first come out? That's how old mine is. :shrug:

Realistically I’m just gonna range the structures around a stand but it would be nice to have some distance should i want it. The vortex reviews on the 1600 were not favorable

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Realistically I’m just gonna range the structures around a stand but it would be nice to have some distance should i want it. The vortex reviews on the 1600 were not favorable
    I don't even bother with mine during gun season. I pull it out of my pack just to spare excess weight. I wouldn't spend under $150 or much over $300, but that's me. I think mine ran around $260 way back when.

I mean, the technology is there so, pick you poison. Buy American!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Leica. It can range out 800 yards (tested, rated for longer), but hard to use for very long ranges due to the lowish magnification. And it is hard to hold still enough.

I wish someone (like Vortex) would integrate one into a spotting scope.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have a Leica. It can range out 800 yards (tested, rated for longer), but hard to use for very long ranges due to the lowish magnification. And it is hard to hold still enough.

I wish someone (like Vortex) would integrate one into a spotting scope.
    Vortex has the Fury rangefinding binoculars, 10x power and is advertised to range either 1,600 yards or 5,000 depending on the model. To help make your decision, you might try to find on YouTube a video where a couple guys review a dozen or so (self-purchased) range finders, tested to confirm advertised ranges and accuracy. NONE of them achieved their advertised ranging distances, but some came close - those would be the models that you could go with. I have the Nikon Monarch 7i, supposed to be good on a reflective target to 1,300 yards, but have only tried to 400 or so max so far. 6 power magnification and decently clear glass, I rarely use my binos anymore. Like Outrider, I also still have the old original Bushnell rangefinder circa 1995ish, which still work great to this day, just big and clunky (bigger than most binoculars today). I bought the Nikon for it’s shirt pocket size and ease of one-handed use. I bought this about 5 years ago, and like most hunting electronics are probably terribly outdated by now, or vastly improved, but they still serve me well. Good luck in your search.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a nikon acculon I use for archery season. Ranges deer out to 300yds and fits in a shirt pocket. For longer range I use a vortex ranger haven't had it very long but it was accurate on steel plates @1k .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom