• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    3 today but only 2 photos. I’m not sticking hand in hole to get other one. Laph out loud

fc52d3dda7867592d1bd882bed9fd2f4.jpg

040812ff24be556d80d14f6662536246.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I head shot another one on the farm on Sunday with my overkill 6.8 SPC II AR shooting 110g V-Max at a rangefinder indicated 88y in the middle of an alfalfa field. I left him where he died for either the buzzards or the coyotes. Turned out to be the coyotes. Shot him from my back deck which is where I do most of my varmint shooting.
    I suppose I should consider switching to my Mossberg MVP in 5.56 but it only has a Nikon 4-12x40 scope verses the AR's 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    We have a large one in yard I would trap,,, but no idea where to release him in last few yrs i trapped a possum, raccoon, ground hog but with places being built, im not sure where to relocate him

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I head shot another one on the farm on Sunday with my overkill 6.8 SPC II AR shooting 110g V-Max at a rangefinder indicated 88y in the middle of an alfalfa field. I left him where he died for either the buzzards or the coyotes. Turned out to be the coyotes. Shot him from my back deck which is where I do most of my varmint shooting.
    I suppose I should consider switching to my Mossberg MVP in 5.56 but it only has a Nikon 4-12x40 scope verses the AR's 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper.

6-12 is plenty in my opinion for that range. I only start looking for more past 400 yards if targets are groundhog size. I use to use a fixed 3x on my 223 for ghogs.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    We have a large one in yard I would trap,,, but no idea where to release him in last few yrs i trapped a possum, raccoon, ground hog but with places being built, im not sure where to relocate him

I mean... if you release into my field... I’m a shoot it. lol.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Was talking to a friend about pictures for size reference. I‘ve got a challenge coin coming for size reference.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I was shooting 3-gun a 1-4x24 was good enough to ring steel at 400y every time. But on varmints I prefer to go for head/heart shots so I want to be able to pick the spot I hit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I use a Browning bolt action long bull barrel in 22-250 with a Leupold 6.5-20 scope.
    Ballistics is like a frozen rope to 400yds.
    Pics of my favorite groundhog rifle and my favorite groundhog tee shirt:

A farmer I used to know in Western MD had to dispatch these little critters as they were wrecking his crops. He used a 22-250 and he said the groundhogs would get blown apart. I bet a 223 Rem would be sufficient at close to medium range.

Tell you what though, he let me shoot his Ruger 22-250 and we were hitting golf balls with that thing past 100 yards.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yes although like I have said I tend to smoke them with my 6.8mm most of the time. Got my third one of the season Thursday at about 110y. Once farmer Dan cut down the grass and bales it they don't have too many places to hide. Saw another one at around 178y but he went to ground after I knocked off his buddy.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I got 5 this week
    Momma and 3 babies
    Lone male from a different area

Now I'm dealing with a pesky raccoon who won't spring a trap and is trying to wreck the trash cans in our pole barn

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got 5 this week
    Momma and 3 babies
    Lone male from a different area

Now I'm dealing with a pesky raccoon who won't spring a trap and is trying to wreck the trash cans in our pole barn

Mines a groundhog that won’t spring a trap and has been too smart to be out and about long enough for me to get a shot on him. Any suggestions on baiting a trap? Do I need to try to obscure the trap from him?

Any kind of lure work best for groundhogs that squirrels won’t also eat up?

I’ve got a zillion squirrels and can’t legally do much about them for another 3 months (there are literally packs of like a dozen squirrels all playing chase their tails in my yard and woods. Looks like all the juveniles and some adults. Most have been the mild summer allowed really good squirrel recruitment this year).

Also how far can the cage be from the den? The den is under my neighbor’s shed 20ft from my property line. I’d prefer to have it in the edge of my side yard about 80ft from the shed/den. I’ve seen the ground hog head that general direction plenty of times to go roaming in my side and back woods.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Mines a groundhog that won’t spring a trap and has been too smart to be out and about long enough for me to get a shot on him. Any suggestions on baiting a trap? Do I need to try to obscure the trap from him?

Any kind of lure work best for groundhogs that squirrels won’t also eat up?

I’ve got a zillion squirrels and can’t legally do much about them for another 3 months (there are literally packs of like a dozen squirrels all playing chase their tails in my yard and woods. Looks like all the juveniles and some adults. Most have been the mild summer allowed really good squirrel recruitment this year).

Also how far can the cage be from the den? The den is under my neighbor’s shed 20ft from my property line. I’d prefer to have it in the edge of my side yard about 80ft from the shed/den. I’ve seen the ground hog head that general direction plenty of times to go roaming in my side and back woods.

When I trap ground hogs I create a funnel from their hole to the trap. They walk right in

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    22-250 69gr handload. First ghog of the day. Forgot my challange coin so i used a scope cap for size referance. I dind't think i would get more so i went to lunch.

22-250 69gr handload. I swear there was #pinkMist involved....

22-250 69gr handload. Fox and vultures were fat n jolly when i left.

Last edited:

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    today i just got number 21 out of this field for the year. #splat (69gr handload w/ 22-250) scope cap for size scale

263 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom