• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Fyi those were not the best conversions and are generally reguarded as unsafe to shoot full power 8mm through.

The idea of that tiny of a rifle in that big of a caliber was just rather appealing. He did say he had never fired it

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Well my replacement cz50 just came and I hate to say it but this one doesn't have working double action either. The trigger pull works this time but it will not pull far enough to release. I have had p64s which had a monstrous double action pull but even those would fire. This one no amount of force will complete the double action pull. it also has a decent amount of pitting on the slide that was polished and blued over. Not really in great shape. This sucks but I guess I am going to have to ask them for another return. Maybe just for a refund this time.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    my dad acquired a carcano in 7.35mm from some where. He was strictly a hunter gun guy, so he didn't like the ammo that came with it. My guess is FMJ.

It held magical powers for us kids though in that it was rumored to shoot through trees and fence posts, all in one shot...

Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to it. Ammo seems very rare to find.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I actually quite like Carcanos, I have one that I got recently from palmetto and I want one of these as well, if nothing else to fill out the collection some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well my replacement cz50 just came and I hate to say it but this one doesn't have working double action either. The trigger pull works this time but it will not pull far enough to release. I have had p64s which had a monstrous double action pull but even those would fire. This one no amount of force will complete the double action pull. it also has a decent amount of pitting on the slide that was polished and blued over. Not really in great shape. This sucks but I guess I am going to have to ask them for another return. Maybe just for a refund this time.

That stinks. The DA/SA pull on my Cz50 is one of the nicest triggers on a DA/SA gun I own. Both DA and SA. Mind you I own zero race guns or anything like that. All my DA/SA guns are C&R stuff.

But I have a couple others that are very nice also, but my Cz50 is the nicest.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That stinks. The DA/SA pull on my Cz50 is one of the nicest triggers on a DA/SA gun I own. Both DA and SA. Mind you I own zero race guns or anything like that. All my DA/SA guns are C&R stuff.

But I have a couple others that are very nice also, but my Cz50 is the nicest.

Definitely smoother than any of my other Comblock DAs. While I LOVE my PA63 in SA, it's a bear of a pull in DA and the shot always hits somewhere other than my original PoA.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Definitely smoother than any of my other Comblock DAs. While I LOVE my PA63 in SA, it's a bear of a pull in DA and the shot always hits somewhere other than my original PoA.

My Cz50 is also super accurate...

I want a Walther PP in 32, but not sure it would be an upgrade from my specific example of Cz50.

As you might be able to tell I’ve got a crush on mine (I like my Cz83 a little more, but it is sure fuggly (the 83)).

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I saw a youtube video that showed someone shooting Hornady 60gr XTP out of their CZ50 w/o problem but I can't even get the chamber to fully shut and the extractor to seat when hand-cycling it...and as a result, it wants to strip and ram another round into the chamber w/o ejecting the previous one- a recipe for disaster if the chambered round is still live. Anyone else have a similar issue? I can hand-cycle PPU FMJ w/o incident but something about the Hornady does not allow me to even chamber one round of XTP with or w/o a mag full of PPU to follow it. Bizarre. :confused:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I saw a youtube video that showed someone shooting Hornady 60gr XTP out of their CZ50 w/o problem but I can't even get the chamber to fully shut and the extractor to seat when hand-cycling it...and as a result, it wants to strip and ram another round into the chamber w/o ejecting the previous one- a recipe for disaster if the chambered round is still live. Anyone else have a similar issue? I can hand-cycle PPU FMJ w/o incident but something about the Hornady does not allow me to even chamber one round of XTP with or w/o a mag full of PPU to follow it. Bizarre. :confused:

Grab the calibers and see what the difference is at the projectile, case opening, and webbing between your FMJ and your XTP.

Wondering if the XTP isn't taper crimped and is instead roll crimped or similar?

How far in is the XTP going before it hangs up?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Grab the calibers and see what the difference is at the projectile, case opening, and webbing between your FMJ and your XTP.

Wondering if the XTP isn't taper crimped and is instead roll crimped or similar?

I agree. Especially the overall length of the cartridge.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

My replacement showed up today. It is in better shape. Magazine fits/functions, the trigger guard isn't dented so bad the trigger drags, and it doesn't look like someone tried to ream out the chamber with a drill bit. Finish is 90% plus too this time. Its all CZ50 (ie not a refurb with CZ70 parts) which is nice. There is a tick of sorts in the trigger pull. But it seems to function. Probably keep this one and try to identify the worn part causing the tick in the trigger pull. If I had to guess a its a worn sear or a bent trigger bar. Luckily I have another one I can set it next too to help diagnose the problem (and to help figure out how to put it back together). Not overly impressed but then again the day of ordering surplus like this blind and getting unissued or near unissued are mostly behind us.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    My replacement showed up today. It is in better shape. Magazine fits/functions, the trigger guard isn't dented so bad the trigger drags, and it doesn't look like someone tried to ream out the chamber with a drill bit. Finish is 90% plus too this time. Its all CZ50 (ie not a refurb with CZ70 parts) which is nice. There is a tick of sorts in the trigger pull. But it seems to function. Probably keep this one and try to identify the worn part causing the tick in the trigger pull. If I had to guess a its a worn sear or a bent trigger bar. Luckily I have another one I can set it next too to help diagnose the problem (and to help figure out how to put it back together). Not overly impressed but then again the day of ordering surplus like this blind and getting unissued or near unissued are mostly behind us.

I just sent my replacement back for a refund. It wasnt a good example and i didnt want to try for a third time.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member

I unfortunately don't have calipers or a micrometer but the FMJ is longer by at least the length of the round tip of the FMJ beyond the flat tip of the HP. It feels in the hand like there is a slight difference in case diameter but there shouldn't be and it could just be a slight tactile difference I am perceiving incorrectly as a size difference. I am not sure how the projectile is seated or crimped from it's appearance but it feeds jerkily out of the magazine and up the ramp whereas the FMJ doesn't seem to bump around so much on its way into the chamber. My biggest problem is ejecting as the extractor does not seem to reliably grip the case and fling it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Last time he posted Ammo here he got grief and ended up apologizing. Then he was (counter) told to post Ammo here...please.

Now we tell him that’s wrong.

He’s a new guy trying to help out and fit in. Let’s be consistent with what we tell him...

I ain’t a C&R guy but I am a fan of consistency and treating new folks fairly

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom