• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If I had the coin this would be my choice: FN 1900. This is the FN produced version of the Remington Model 8, built for sales in Europe. I see these come up occasionally but compared to a Remington they're very rare. So expect to have to shell out well north of $1K to acquire one.
    Totally forgot that the 8/81/1900 has a stripper clip guide! I've never seen a stripper clip for any of the Remington cartridges. Now I'm curious to see if one can be found.
    Here's the link to a wonderful resource: The Great Model 8 forum @ the Remington Society.

I would be a horrible person if I didn't mention that there's one on the current Connecticut Firearms Auction via HiBid. https://ctfirearmsauction.hibid.com/lot/72586315/fabrique-nationale-model-1900--30-rem-rifle?cpage=3

Auction isn't for another 33 days, and CTFA always advertises well (I got a flyer in the mail two weeks ago about this one). But, you never know.

It'll likely go well outside of my current price range (kid had to go back to school via a "pod" last week, so my expendable income took a $1k/mo hit).

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I would be a horrible person if I didn't mention that there's one on the current Connecticut Firearms Auction via HiBid. https://ctfirearmsauction.hibid.com/lot/72586315/fabrique-nationale-model-1900--30-rem-rifle?cpage=3

Auction isn't for another 33 days, and CTFA always advertises well (I got a flyer in the mail two weeks ago about this one). But, you never know.

It'll likely go well outside of my current price range (kid had to go back to school via a "pod" last week, so my expendable income took a $1k/mo hit).

That is a nice example, I find the solid rib interesting, usually used on shotguns and I have seen it on dangerous game double rifles, helps with quick target acquisition.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That is a nice example, I find the solid rib interesting, usually used on shotguns and I have seen it on dangerous game double rifles, helps with quick target acquisition.

IIRC, the rib is one of the standard features that sets the FN models apart from the 8/81. Another is the magazine, note that they figured out the feed and tension issues without having to add the ubiquitous springs to the sides of the mag. It also came in the semi-pistol-grip configuration for the stock vs the straight stock on the 8. The sights are also different in that the FN uses a flip-type rear with two notch sizes whereas the 8/81 uses a stepped riser for elevation changes with a single "bull horn" notch giving both precise and "Kentucky windage" sight pictures.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have this FN 1900 and 3-4 decent example Model 81s book marked in upcoming auctions. Sadly tallen702 is right, the FN should fetch north of $1k if past sales are any indicator. But worth watching on the off chance that an opportunity presents itself.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Some people are insane! It went for $1,125!! With 12 holes in it! (But it was listed as a 'Pre-model 8 having been manf, in 1909?)
    The one I posted sold for $870.

I can't see the rifle in question due to idiotic website blocking at work (I can go to any number of other sites that don't have "gun" in the name like Classic, JG Sales, Century, etc. but not GunBroker for some reason).

The reason for the title of "pre-Model 8" if it does indeed date back to 1909 is that it was known as the Remington Autoloading Rifle until 1911 when they re-branded it as the Model 8. If the 1909 date holds up, it would definitely be an early exampe. Not sure if it's worth the $1125 with all the holes in it, but people are dumb with money right now.

Theoretically, if you had a spectacular gunsmith, you could fill the holes with screws, have them ground down to the receiver, and the whole thing re-blued, but that would likely damage the value more from the re-bluing than the holes themselves currently do.

If we get another round of stimulus checks (which seems less and less likely as time goes on) expect to see even stupider prices for the time being.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Found a 81 on GB that has a low starting point. Bidding on it now. Fingers crossed. Caliber sucks in terms of finding ammo, but that's why God gifted mankind the ability to reload.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Found a 81 on GB that has a low starting point. Bidding on it now. Fingers crossed. Caliber sucks in terms of finding ammo, but that's why God gifted mankind the ability to reload.

That's a nice example for a shooter. A couple of holes filled and refinished but looks solid. Hoping it slides under the radar. One thing in your favor is that it closes on a week day morning when there are fewer folk about online. Trust me, these little things have the ability to make a difference. There's a reason why savvy sellers have a Sunday evening close to their lots as it's when the most buyers are available to bid away. I once stole a MAS49 when the CA based seller had the lot close @ 11pm PST which meant 2am EST! Let's say that there weren't many folk east of the Mississippi up to bid.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's a nice example for a shooter. A couple of holes filled and refinished but looks solid. Hoping it slides under the radar. One thing in your favor is that it closes on a week day morning when there are fewer folk about online. Trust me, these little things have the ability to make a difference. There's a reason why savvy sellers have a Sunday evening close to their lots as it's when the most buyers are available to bid away. I once stole a MAS49 when the CA based seller had the lot close @ 11pm PST which meant 2am EST! Let's say that there weren't many folk east of the Mississippi up to bid.

That's why my eBay listings always went for post-dinner but pre-bedtime closing times on the east coast when I used to sell paintballs stuff.

The refinishing of the metal and stock along with the two plugged holes and tough to find chambering make me hopeful that it'll go for a very reasonable price. It's only myself and one other bidder right now, and the fact that it's got the 15 minute rule active means no last-second sniping. So long as some idiot doesn't get on and think it's something that it isn't, I should be able to snag it as a shooter for a reasonable price.

I didn't get up to Redding the other weekend to see what the Grade-D Model 8 went for, but it was a beauty. Way too rich for my blood at the time of the auction.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Someone drove that 81 on GB way too high for what it is IMHO. I was the front-runner until this morning. At a 4% CC premium and $50 flat rate shipping cost, the current buyer (if they win at the current rate) will be north of $630 for a re-finished and drilled gun in a very expensive caliber. I'm gonna hold off at this point. If it weren't drilled or refinished, sure, I'd push higher, but for a shooter? Nah.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Someone drove that 81 on GB way too high for what it is IMHO. I was the front-runner until this morning. At a 4% CC premium and $50 flat rate shipping cost, the current buyer (if they win at the current rate) will be north of $630 for a re-finished and drilled gun in a very expensive caliber. I'm gonna hold off at this point. If it weren't drilled or refinished, sure, I'd push higher, but for a shooter? Nah.

You have to draw a line in the sand and be willing to walk away when it just doesn't make sense on multiple levels. The only time I go all in is for something very unique that fills a hole in the collection. They made plenty of 8/81s, no reason to chase the bid on this one. I'll keep looking for ya!

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Simpson is really proud of that mint one. 8k!

and how much do you think a brand new just off a current assembly line would cost today (with all the problems Remington is having these days)? :D
    (he said with a smart a$$ grin on his face)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    and how much do you think a brand new just off a current assembly line would cost today (with all the problems Remington is having these days)? :D
    (he said with a smart a$$ grin on his face)

I know you're poking fun, but I do find it interesting that other Browning designs have had much greater staying power than the 8/81. A5 variants were produced regularly up to 1998, the 1911 is still produced today in a variety of styles. Same goes for the Hi-Power. We're still rocking his M2 in the military. The 8/81 was only made up to 1950 though. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the number of parts and the machining required, but the same can be said for the 1895 which Winchester re-issued in 2001.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I know you're poking fun, but I do find it interesting that other Browning designs have had much greater staying power than the 8/81. A5 variants were produced regularly up to 1998, the 1911 is still produced today in a variety of styles. Same goes for the Hi-Power. We're still rocking his M2 in the military. The 8/81 was only made up to 1950 though. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the number of parts and the machining required, but the same can be said for the 1895 which Winchester re-issued in 2001.

I think the closest product mentioned to the 8/81 is the A5 (current model excepted, not a true A5 mechanism) and you got it right; number of machined parts and tolerances needed to work correctly are pretty high compared to current models of semi-auto rifles. That being said the shotgun has much lower chamber pressures than a rifle so the stress the metal parts of the action have to endure to function properly would be much higher in the 8/81 which would lead to more failures much sooner than with the other designs. M2 is well...in a class by itself? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Picked up on GB a couple days ago.
    1922 Model 8 in .35 Rem - the description on GB was wrong, it is a 1922 model based on serial number, not a 1920 as advertised
    No holes drilled in it, no dents in barrel shroud, stock and hand guard original and not refinished.
    Should be picking it up at J2 Tuesday

Attachments

• Model 8.jpg
      Model 8.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 128

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Congratulations! Looks and sounds like a nice example.
    Of the calibers made the .35 Remington is one of the better ones, but I still prefer mine in 300 Savage :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom