• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yeah the food. I love good Mexican/Tex-Mex and there are a few good places. But around here the good stuff is usually seafood. I love that also.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Small world.
    Most of my family lives around Alum Creek and the McCorkle exit of Rt 119

Sure is a small world! The number of "Flying WV" stickers on cars everywhere from Garrett County MD on down to the upper reaches of Montgomery County probably outnumber the ones on cars back home! :lol2:

I went to high school with a lot of folks from Alum Creek, and I grew up on the hill overlooking McCorkle right across from the old C&P Telephone building and Columbia Gas.

My neighbor two doors down from me here in MD is from Birch River up in Nicholas county and the guy who I hired to be my assistant director at work last year grew up in the suburbs of DC, but his mom is from Thomas up in Tucker County. One thing about West Virginia is that most people think the biggest export of the state is coal, but it's actually been people since about 1950.

Anyway, you could do worse than MD. As much as I hate the politics and flat land here, I quite like my little corner of it. Mind you, I'm constantly on the lookout for a nice piece of property in the mountains back home for a getaway.

Definitely introduce yourself in the Southern Maryland section of the forum and ask around about living down there. Make sure to pop into the West Virginia section as well as there are quite a few members here that either live in the Eastern Panhandle, or, like the member Pushrod, live in Gods' Country up in the highlands of the eastern part of the state.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I was born in Cali and got out of the Navy at NSA. 41 years later I fled to WV. Unfortunately you can't commute to Pax River from WV. When I was at CIA in the mid-70's I had 2 employee buddies I worked with in Internal Security that commuted to Langley from the Harper's Ferry area every day. I used to joke about it with them but they said as WV rednecks they did not want to live anywhere in between. Now I understand why.

I’m actually looking at buying a house in harpers ferry and I commute to Dulles every day already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I’m actually looking at buying a house in harpers ferry and I commute to Dulles every day already.

Harper's Ferry??? Yikes! We originally looked there and were scared off! Way too Liberal and way to many properties with HOA's or heavy restrictions!

We ended up buying a house with 13 acres of unrestricted land in Berkeley Springs, WV. The property has three natural running streams flowing on it which all lead into Sir John's Run. I can see Sir John's Run Stream from my property.

Not a neighbor in sight yet I'm literally a 5-10 minute drive to town. I live near the Berkeley Springs Castle

:party29:

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Harper's Ferry??? Yikes! We originally looked there and were scared off! Way too Liberal and way to many properties with HOA's or heavy restrictions!

We ended up buying a house with 13 acres of unrestricted land in Berkeley Springs, WV. The property has three natural running streams flowing on it which all lead into Sir John's Run. I can see Sir John's Run Stream from my property.

Not a neighbor in sight yet I'm literally a 5-10 minute drive to town. I live near the Berkeley Springs Castle

:party29:

Ohhh I might need to look elsewhere, I was going up there tomorrow to start looking at houses. I suppose I’ll keep looking. Any recommendations on where to look besides HF and close to Dulles?

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I'd say go ahead and take a look at the area. When we went up there there were plenty of "BLM" and "Hate Has No Place Here" signs. There were enough to make us say let's look elsewhere. I'm sure this time of season there's plenty of Biden / Harris signs. Unfortunately prices everywhere in West Va. have gone significantly up!

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I'd say go ahead and take a look at the area. When we went up there there were plenty of "BLM" and "Hate Has No Place Here" signs. There were enough to make us say let's look elsewhere. I'm sure this time of season there's plenty of Biden / Harris signs. Unfortunately prices everywhere in West Va. have gone significantly up!

Ya I want to buy a place out there before prices go up much more, I also want a nice little plot of land big enough for me to shoot on (preferably up to 200-300 yards) but I know that’s asking a lot probably

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Grew up near the OP. Also, retired military. The LARGEST mistake I made in my life (including the 1st marriage) was taking a job in md and moving here when I retired.

Do NOT move to md.

Sorry if that is harsh.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Originally from Upstate NY, first duty station Curtis Bay Coast Guard Yard in the early 70s. Left MD in 79 and we decided id we ever get transferred in MD again we would stay. Well after desert storm, I received my orders to USCG HQ so we moved to MD and ended up retiring in 95. During hard times MD has not had the issues other states had with unemployment. A clearance goes a long ways to find employment. My last 10 years I worked for a company and we were contracted to work at every GOV site including PAX.

Good Luck enjoy MD

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

You were right, I did see TONS of Biden and BLM and other related signs. As pretty of an area it is I do think I will look somewhere a little further south of HF. I did see this on the way there though
    b9c924207e9a68c9430f91f6f561e59d.jpg

935cf74a6f89a776409706f65b2b8f85.jpg

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Raised in Cali, Army drag me away and left me here with a wife and 4 kids. So i know how you feel. You'll get use to it. You'll tolerate it for a few decades then you'll get sick of it and move to WV....haha just like alot of the senoir members here.

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    There are numerous engineers at PAX who graduated from WVU (my wife is one of them). Good Job opportunities and housing is far more reasonable than CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom