• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    It could have passed through. Sometimes bullet holes are hard to find Which reminds me of last deer season where my friend dropped a nice buck and we couldn’t find any holes at all. When we got to the butcher shop, they couldn’t find any holes either. Weirdest thing...

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Friend shot downhill from his 2nd story balcony with this .308 using Win 147gr FMJ. Range finder, groundhog was 51 yards away. Note, the entry point, and then check the underside, the round never did exit.

Weird. If impact concussion slit the belly there should be some trauma in the muscle tissue under the skin. There does not appear to be any trauma in that area. Perhaps a piece of the jacket peeled off and exited under the skin at the posterior of the slit and then glided along to cause the slit.

The other surprise is the lack of exit.

After a few days, I decided to take the chuck apart and check out the bullet. Went down to his house, too late, something already dragged it away.

Any ideas?

fYbmhsF.jpg
    [/IMG]

My2JkuW.jpg
    [/IMG]

Is your friend's name Chuck Norris?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I used to shoot them with a 30-06, at longer ranges, with 110 or 150 grain PSP bullets. I often didn't have exit wounds, but the insides were like jelly. I shot one at about 10 yards with the 06, I had to back up to get that distance, It stood it's ground and wouldn't budge. I shot it at the top of it's chest, the 06 blew everything out of the body, only the skin & hide with the head attached were left whole.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It probably exited somewhere you just didn't find it. I've often thought the same thing on deer and after they are skinned out it becomes much more obvious.

Not the same, but on most squirrels I have a darned hard time finding entrance or exit wounds. Even with rounds that expand really well. Granted I am universally using subsonic rounds on them and even the really good ones are going to take an inch or so to really expand. Which means it’s exited by the time it’s really expanding. On a ground hog, there it’ll open up really well.

I’d go with he just didn’t find the exit wound.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Not the same, but on most squirrels I have a darned hard time finding entrance or exit wounds. Even with rounds that expand really well. Granted I am universally using subsonic rounds on them and even the really good ones are going to take an inch or so to really expand. Which means it’s exited by the time it’s really expanding. On a ground hog, there it’ll open up really well.

I’d go with he just didn’t find the exit wound.
    A subsonic 22 rarely exits IME

A 308 surely exited. It’s just a question of finding the wound.

Noted that’s much more difficult when the corpus delicious is absent. Even CSI needs a meat bag to look at.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I used to shoot Ground Hogs at long ranges,, 30-06 would do "a little" damage,,, in other words,, OBVIOUS! I used to shoot "core lokt" 148 gr " if my memory serves me.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    It could have passed through. Sometimes bullet holes are hard to find Which reminds me of last deer season where my friend dropped a nice buck and we couldn’t find any holes at all. When we got to the butcher shop, they couldn’t find any holes either. Weirdest thing...

If you used your truck,,, well than. Lol

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Its happened before with a horse

Attachments

• horse.jpg
      horse.jpg
      5.5 KB · Views: 173

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm betting that belly split IS the exit wound. Given the position and size of the entry wound, I think he probably hit the pelvic bone which probably caused the round to spall sending a good chunk of it out he belly at a shallow enough angle that the actual hole is under the intact skin to the posterior of the split you can see on the belly. The deformed round then likely split the rather elastic skin on its way out which is why you don't see damage to the muscle and sub-dermal tissue around the belly split. The rest of the bullet fragments probably lodged in the internal organs and ribcage which is likely what ultimately killed this one.

Skeleton image below is for reference on the position of the pelvic bone.

Photo-Oct-20-3-53-28-PM.jpg

That's why I always try to get them from a profile shot, or while they're standing. I go after them with .22 short hollow points, so if I hit the pelvis, I'll needlessly wound them.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not possible to not exit. My GH gun at the farm is a 6.8 SPC II AR, A2 20" barrel, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope shooting 110g Hornady V-Max and every kill I have done has gone thru (I mostly do head shots out to 200y when I can). And no I don't keep them to eat. We have coyotes, Turkey buzzards, Black buzzards and now Bald Eagles that take anything that dies. Like Clint says "Buzzards gotta eat, too."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom