• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Any recommendations for reputable deer processing in the Frederick area that don’t mix your meat with others?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any recommendations for reputable deer processing in the Frederick area that don’t mix your meat with others?

KS kuts. In Damascus

Attachments

• 20201011_204533.jpg
      20201011_204533.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 373

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm on the board. Got an average sized doe in WVa yesterday.

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The gun season started today in Nebraska for Omaha Nation tribal members. We can use firearms until the end of the year. This is so the people on the rez can get deer meat. The unemployment is sky high here and so is the Diabetes rate among the population. Sadly, most of the residents don't take advantage of this.

I was going to try to get a deer in this area of cornfields that I saw some nice does last year. I wanted to use my 300 Win Mag to get a 300 yard shot at a big doe. I was ready to start hunting when a white guy came up in his truck and told me the area was only open for a couple of guys and was private property. There's lots of other places to hunt here so I left. I'll ask the tribal game warden about this though. I am a tribal member. I wanted to practice a long distance shot because I hope to go to Montana next year and hunt for elk.

I moved to a spot I know I can hunt but didn't want to use the 300 Win Mag unless I saw a monster buck. I saw 5 does but none were very big. I'll probably go back tomorrow night because I want to get some fresh venison. It's gonna be cold the next few nights so I may also get a chance at a big buck.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    The gun season started today in Nebraska for Omaha Nation tribal members. We can use firearms until the end of the year. This is so the people on the rez can get deer meat. The unemployment is sky high here and so is the Diabetes rate among the population. Sadly, most of the residents don't take advantage of this.

I was going to try to get a deer in this area of cornfields that I saw some nice does last year. I wanted to use my 300 Win Mag to get a 300 yard shot at a big doe. I was ready to start hunting when a white guy came up in his truck and told me the area was only open for a couple of guys and was private property. There's lots of other places to hunt here so I left. I'll ask the tribal game warden about this though. I am a tribal member. I wanted to practice a long distance shot because I hope to go to Montana next year and hunt for elk.

I moved to a spot I know I can hunt but didn't want to use the 300 Win Mag unless I saw a monster buck. I saw 5 does but none were very big. I'll probably go back tomorrow night because I want to get some fresh venison. It's gonna be cold the next few nights so I may also get a chance at a big buck.

Yup! The day after a temperature drop is when I usually harvest a buck.

Good luck on your harvest and I hope you can convince your tribal members the importance of healthy eating to prevent diabetes or it’s onset.

Keep us posted on your harvest! Would like to hear your hunting success story. Also, let your Rez LEO know about those who encroach your tribal lands to poach your resources.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Yup! The day after a temperature drop is when I usually harvest a buck.

Good luck on your harvest and I hope you can convince your tribal members the importance of healthy eating to prevent diabetes or it’s onset.

Keep us posted on your harvest! Would like to hear your hunting success story. Also, let your Rez LEO know about those who encroach your tribal lands to poach your resources.

I've never lived on the rez and grew up in Omaha, Ne. which is about 60 miles away. I never made enough money to be able to hunt on the rez when I lived in Omaha. I joined the Army in 1982 and after that spent most of my time on the east coast after I got out of the Army working as a military contractor. So I'll never understand why most of the residents don't know how to hunt or cook venison. A female cousin of mine who reached out to me when I came back to the area and didn't recognize anyone after being away so long passed away from complications from diabetes last year. Her husband also has it and is worried about the recent virus.

As far as the guy I talked to- they have to pay a lot of money to hunt on the rez so he can have the spot. It's a big rez and I have lots of other places I can hunt.

The next few nights we'll have sub-freezing temps so I'll be out there.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

Just buy the processing kit from Outdoor Edge and do it yourself. Not hard to do at all and I age the meat in my fridge. I was doing it for 4 days but I'll try 3 this year.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Explain the “aging” process please.

If you've got the time, there's a really good Meateater podcast about aging deer. He has a meat scientist as his guest. It's called "the red cutter."

Basically, leaving it on the bone for a few days (or weeks) after rigor mortis sets will let the muscles relax. Then the meat will be more tender.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Tried my hand at a euro mount. Needs whitened yet but I'm just glad I didn't ruin it in the process being my first attempt.

Attachments

• 20201014_132718.jpg
      20201014_132718.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 277

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Tried my hand at a euro mount. Needs whitened yet but I'm just glad I didn't ruin it in the process being my first attempt.

Looks good. I prefer the hydrogen peroxide method to any sort of bleach. Takes a bit longer but no bleach stink and I think it looks better. Just make sure to wrap the antler bases real good with cling wrap so they don't lose color.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Looks good. I prefer the hydrogen peroxide method to any sort of bleach. Takes a bit longer but no bleach stink and I think it looks better. Just make sure to wrap the antler bases real good with cling wrap so they don't lose color.

I plan on trying the peroxide method just need to pick up some of the stronger peroxide first.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Tried out a new spot where I had seen large deer walking across a cornfield in years past. The wind was coming out the SE and it had snowed this morning but it melted away by noon. The spot was near a vacant house with a cluster of trees. I sat on the south side near the trees to provide cover against my outline. A larger patch of woods was about 200 yards on the other side of the freshly plowed cornfield. I ranged the tree line from my spot to all areas I could safely shoot. It was around 4:30 PM and it was cloudy when I noticed a doe come out of the wood line. I wanted to get a meat doe under my belt because last year I was consumed with chasing big bucks and only got one small doe.
    I didn't waste time and got the doe in my scope. I was using my Savage Axis in 270 Win. with a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff scope. The ammo was my reloads with 130 gr. SST bullets. I was zeroed at 2 inches above the bullseye at 100 yards so I was sure I would be right on at around 200 yards which is where the doe was standing. She gave me a perfect broadside shot as she browsed on the plowed cornfield. I wasn't sure if I had hit her as she ran and dodged into the woods. As fast as she went in I thought I might have a long period of tracking ahead of me. The brush was still kinda heavy as it had just now gotten cold lately. I walked and put my gear down and started into the woods. The doe was laying and 5 yards into the wood line. I thought at first that it might've been a deer someone had previously shot and never found but the carcass was still warm.
    A perfect shot! Right behind the front leg and into both lungs. The bullet had gone clear through her and left a pretty big exit wound. It was no wonder that she hadn't made it very far. I field dressed her and put her in the bed of my truck and headed home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom