• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yes, I know they aren't precision rifles, though mine is pretty good honestly.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm conceding that optics are a good plan for anything that I want to actually shoot.

I have the DSA rail cover on it and secured, now just need to decide on what I want to do.

ACOG?
    ELCAN?
    Accupoint?

Want something with a little magnification, but still essentially a fast optic.

Every time I've shot an ACOG, I've loved them.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You answered your own question and I agree with the right answer. ACOG

Yeah - I think the 3.5x is the way to go, but what do I know.

Good eye relief, ridiculous repeatable aim.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I think pretty much whatever feels "right" for you. So long as it's sturdy enough to handle the recoil without losing zero, you're GTG.

My personal preference is to have minimal magnification with a wide field of view, so ACOG and ELCAN would win out over the Accupoint in my book, but then again, if all you're ever going to do with it is just sit at a bench-rest, a more "scope" oriented optic may be the way to go.

A buddy of mine has the DSA rail cover on his and it's a very sturdy platform, so holding zero from the mounting standpoint shouldn't be an issue whatever the choice.

I've kept mine in it's OG configuration and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I'm still on paper at 100 with a reasonable "minute of man" grouping, so I'm good for now.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I stuck a 1950's vintage 4x setup on mine as used on the G1. It works like a champ:

Nice looking rifle. Mine started as an STG58 Austrian and has ended up with more of a Belgian look to it.

It shoots like a laser, totally dispelling the myth of FALs only being minute of torso rifles.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I think pretty much whatever feels "right" for you. So long as it's sturdy enough to handle the recoil without losing zero, you're GTG.

My personal preference is to have minimal magnification with a wide field of view, so ACOG and ELCAN would win out over the Accupoint in my book, but then again, if all you're ever going to do with it is just sit at a bench-rest, a more "scope" oriented optic may be the way to go.

A buddy of mine has the DSA rail cover on his and it's a very sturdy platform, so holding zero from the mounting standpoint shouldn't be an issue whatever the choice.

I've kept mine in it's OG configuration and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I'm still on paper at 100 with a reasonable "minute of man" grouping, so I'm good for now.

I'm good at out to 200 yards easily with iron sights as far as banging a piece of steel. I'm trying to think about for effective target identification and then about some longer range shooting. I'd like to see what this rifle can do at some longer ranges. I have a trip planned for next summer where 600 yards is readily available.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Elcan switch power

I have to admit I'm intrigued by these. Need to get my hands on one to try. The ACOGs I've shot have been almost boring in the ability to replicate shots, and that was also with an AK, not the most reliable of mounting systems.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    What do you want to do with the rifle?

Elcan SpectreDR is near and dear to my heart as it was my favorite issue optic in the mil. Great glass, actually very light weight when you take into account the built in mount, and very good battery life. The price is not great, but if you can afford it, it’s worth your consideration.

I used an ACOG + RMR setup a good bit last year for work, but swapped it for a 3x magnifier and eotech EXPS 3.0. FOV on the ACOG is amazing, but being forced to shoot NTCH for distance is uncomfortable for me.

I have a Trijicon accupoint 1-4 with a red triangle and am very happy with it. It is very light. I would say that particular reticle works best as a red dot substitute and for PID at distance, as it has no BDC. There are other reticles available that seem to work better at range, but not as well close up. The 1-6 has significant improvements, but it’s a lot heavier. I love the 1-4 and would buy more of them if they were on sale for the price I paid.

If you’re willing to entertain Elcan money, the Vortex Razor 1-10 might be a better choice.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What do you want to do with the rifle?

Elcan SpectreDR is near and dear to my heart as it was my favorite issue optic in the mil. Great glass, actually very light weight when you take into account the built in mount, and very good battery life. The price is not great, but if you can afford it, it’s worth your consideration.

I used an ACOG + RMR setup a good bit last year for work, but swapped it for a 3x magnifier and eotech EXPS 3.0. FOV on the ACOG is amazing, but being forced to shoot NTCH for distance is uncomfortable for me.

I have a Trijicon accupoint 1-4 with a red triangle and am very happy with it. It is very light. I would say that particular reticle works best as a red dot substitute and for PID at distance, as it has no BDC. There are other reticles available that seem to work better at range, but not as well close up. The 1-6 has significant improvements, but it’s a lot heavier. I love the 1-4 and would buy more of them if they were on sale for the price I paid.

If you’re willing to entertain Elcan money, the Vortex Razor 1-10 might be a better choice.

Looks like the ELCAN is about $500 more than the ACOG.....not a deal breaker.

The one stop shopping of the ACOG with the ranging reticle, no batteries, etc is attractive for sure.

That ELCAN does have a certain level of cachet though.

Honestly the Accupoint is the least of my choices, though I've shot some ARs with them and they seem to work very well.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Looks like the ELCAN is about $500 more than the ACOG.....not a deal breaker.

The one stop shopping of the ACOG with the ranging reticle, no batteries, etc is attractive for sure.

That ELCAN does have a certain level of cachet though.

Honestly the Accupoint is the least of my choices, though I've shot some ARs with them and they seem to work very well.
    I don’t think any of your choices are bad. One could argue that the Elcan is a bit out of date with just being 1-4 when you can get good glass from any other LPVO and 6 or 8x magnification, but the heart wants what it wants.

If you think you’ll be doing any close in shooting, the accupoint or Elcan would be better. If you don’t care about that or can use irons in close (not familiar with how an ACOG sits on a FAL), shoot ACOGs well, and can deal with the short eye relief (I don’t like it), go for the ACOG.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8, if you're on a budget.

Q

I had one of the 1-4x ones a while ago and just couldn't warm up to it. I know people are fans of their products, but I just couldn't make it work.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm good at out to 200 yards easily with iron sights as far as banging a piece of steel. I'm trying to think about for effective target identification and then about some longer range shooting. I'd like to see what this rifle can do at some longer ranges. I have a trip planned for next summer where 600 yards is readily available.

Nice! Mine is pretty dead on as well. The rifle is definitely more accurate than I am. I built mine from a Rosario Mk. IV kit from SARCO on a century receiver that somehow managed to not have any issues despite being a mono-brow feed ramp. It dislikes DSA mags, but I have enough Izzy and Rhodie mags that it's not an issue for me. The Moses mags work well in it too, but I'm not sure if they're still in business. But I digress. I built mine with the history and battlefield-range uses in mind, though I'm certain it'd perform just fine beyond 2-300 yards. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and how it performs, you just might convince me to throw some glass on top of mine if it turns out well for you!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I had one of the 1-4x ones a while ago and just couldn't warm up to it. I know people are fans of their products, but I just couldn't make it work.

If I could afford the Elcan or Acog, would definitely upgrade.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom